Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1940) - Respecting THE FEW.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
To all of the fine men and women here,

Today is an important day that people need to recognize, so let me take a moment to share this with you.

Today is September 15. Here in the U.S., it doesn't mean much, but it should. Great Britain marks September 15 as Battle of Britain Day, and on this day in 1940 in the skies over London, an aerial siege that had gone on for over two months was finally broken.

As Americans, we still bask in the glory of WWII and remember the sacrifices of our brave soldiers at Pearl Harbor, Omaha Beach, Iwo Jima, and in the skies over Europe in the Flying Fortresses. However, few Americans know that before December 7, 1940, the United States was strictly neutral and isolationist.

Europe was begging for help, literally being overrun by the darkest evil ever manifested in man. The Nazis, it seemed, could not be stopped. As Poland, Belgium, and Holland fell and the French surrendered, one tiny island nation found itself alone with its back to the sea, the last hold-out against Hitler's armies.

They begged for help. The U.S. sent supplies, but remained isolationist in the grand scheme. Britain was alone, with a devastated army swimming back from Dunkirk, and a badly outnumbered group of Royal Air Force pilots being the only line of defense against the still advancing Luftwaffe. As many have dubbed it, this was history's narrowest margin.

These brave pilots, whom Winston Churchill dubbed "the Few," flew day and night against the seemingly endless Nazi bombers and fighters. In Hurricanes and Spitfires, they held the line, but just barely - many dying in the skies or maimed beyond recognition. These were men defending their homes, with no thought of running. Of course, there was no where to run to, except the Atlantic.

These pilots' sacrifices effectively stopped Hitler's unstoppable advance. They faced daunting odds, often 4 to 1, but they held their ground. Were it not for them, D-Day might never have been, nor North Africa, for there would have been no effective staging ground to launch a counterattack against Fortress Europe.

Incidentally, there were 7 documented Americans who flew in the Battle of Britain with the RAF. These men defied the U.S. government's threat of imprisonment and fines for the greater good. Yes, the U.S. made it illegal to join foreign armies during it's neutrality policy, but these men answered the call anyway, the majority of them dying before Pearl Harbor.

In short, the RAF pilots who flew and died in The Battle of Britain gave freedom a slim chance of succeeding - they carved out hope with their blood. Take a moment on September 15 to remember these men, not just the 7 Americans (and the many other Yanks who claimed to be Canadian that we will never truly know) but every - single - pilot who died so the world might live.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. " - Winston Churchill

Thanks for reading this,
Mike French (no relation to the nation)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"At the going down of the sun...we 'will' remember them."

Leonard.jpg

A NICE piece Mike. It's sad to think that most folk out there on the streets of Great Britain, will have no knowledge of the significance of this day, and as time goes by, those of us who do hold a torch, will fade away.
Names that put the GREAT into BRITAIN, are now only remembered on the dusty and tattered regimental flags that hang in less frequented churches around the country. Names like Sevastavol; Waterloo; Trafalgar; Mafeking; Calcutta; Ypres; Amiens; Somme; Tobruk; Bangalore; Alamein; Goose Green; Two Sisters; Cross Maglen; ...etc, are all battle honours of one kind and another that the public quickly forget and generations fail to pass onto their kin to be proud of.
Sadly, it will, no doubt be similar with our cousins across the pond in the US. Ask your average man/woman in the street the significance of names like ALAMO; LEXINGTON; BUNKER HILL; SARATOGA; KINGS MOUNTAIN; FREDERICKSBURG; BALTIMORE 1812; GETTYSBURG; GUADACANAL; MIDWAY; OKINAWA; BASTOGNE; KOREA; VIETNAM & TET OFFENSIVE; GRENADA; CUBA (Bay of Pigs)...and the list goes on.
If we forget our heritage and what we have fought for, and the ideals we have laid down lives for, where does that leave us?

Jake

One of the Regulars
Although I wasn't aware that there was a day set aside for remembering the Battle of Britain. Im delighted to hear that there is. I hope that many of your countrymen continue to carry the torch of remembering what was accomplished by those few brave souls. Here's to the heros of the past and future. :cheers1:

Mycroft

One Too Many
There is a guy at work who acually was in the Battle of Britin as a Spitfire Pilot, and man the stories he tells us, are amazing sometimes. I propse a toast to those brave "Few":cheers1:

jake431

Practically Family
The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has a Spitfire hanging from the ceiling (Improbably being tailed by a Stuka) that flew in the Battle of Britain. I love seeing it hang from the ceiling, but it seems like a great opportunity to restore so old a Spitfire is being missed. I've seen a BF-109E fly; wouldn't it be great to see the two of them go at it, Battle of Britain style? Maybe someday...

It's true the very often the Battle of Britain gets little attention here in the US, but I gladly offer my respects to those who flew against such daunting odds.

-Jake

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Sadly, it seems most people today know next to nothing about what went on in 1940, and what these men did for us. Here's to 'em. Thanks, boys.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Battle of Britain

I used to attend the same school that Reginald Mitchell (designer of the Spifire) went to, and we used to have our own Battle of Britain Day treat - we used to line up on the playing field and a Spitfire would do some aerobatics and buzz the field at an altitude that would never be allowed nowadays. In my imagination can still hear the deafening snarl of the Griffon or Merlin and feel the propwash. That was the mid 1950s. It's interesting to note that Spifires last saw action in Malaya in 1954.

I can imagine some PO who'd been flying a desk since the end of the war relishing being given the chance to go and stir up some kids at a school in Stoke-on-Trent. Wonderful!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Good to hear from all of you. Paddy and MikeyB17, I am very envious that you are both still living in what I consider to be the most wonderful country on Earth. I grew up in Weybridge, Surrey where 609 Squadron met the first wave of Luftwaffe on Sept. 15 at around 11:15 a.m. I was an adolescent, lived there for four very formative years (12-15), but I have carried Britain with me ever since. I consider it my first home.

I hope one day I can return permanently and spend the rest of my days at my old haunts: Bassingbourn, Duxford, Hendon and the Temple Church.

If anyone of you is up near Bassingbourn anytime soon, could someone stop by the Air Tower museum and see if my museum display is still there? It was my Eagle Scout service project in the winter of 1993 for the 50th anniversary of the Memphis Belle's tour of duty completion.

Thanks all,
Mike

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here's to the Fighter Boys!

Reading "Fighter Boys" by Patrick Bishop right now and I am staggered by the number of RAF pilots that were killed either in 1940 or before the end of hostilities in 1945. I will find the precise statistic, but it was something like two-thirds KIA. Incredible. The outcome would have been much different I think if these brave lads hadn't sacrificed their all. A moment of silence for these and all our other heroes...

Patrick

New in Town
Got to love the British for their courge and tenacity that was required to overcome such overwhelming odds under the leadership of Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding. Also saddened by how he was treated afterwards for his efforts. Politics as usual, even then under those circumstances.

Think I'll pop my BoB DVD in after I log off to commenorate the event. I'm already hearing the Merlin backfire as the Hurricane does the victory role in the opening scene. Way, way cool!
TAKKA, TAKKA, TAKKA, TAKKA, TAKKA!! (Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away.)

P.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Battle of Britain 2006 Redux

Hey all,

I know this might need to be in the movies section, but given the WWII historic bend to this post, I think it's better suited with the war buffs. I was watching one of my favorite films the other day, Battle of Britain, and started thinking what a shame it is that most people don't watch older movies or read history books and therefore will likely never know about these colossally important events unless a new movie comes to theaters about it.

Now, most modern remakes have tanked. "Pearl Harbour" is no "Tora Tora Tora," and for all of its D-Day scene infamy and aesthetic accuracy, Saving Private Ryan lacks the blow-by-blow historic attention of "The Longest Day," but nevertheless I live in hope.

Anyway, I was just on a random whim and started casting a new version of Battle of Britain in my head and wanted some suggestions from all of you - who would you cast? I'd want true Brits in the roles if possible, and where applicable, the other nationalities in their proper places. No Jolie or Zellweggers putting on fake accents.

I think Colin Firth would be an excellent Dowding and Michael Gambon as Churchill. After that, I'm stumped. The guy who played Dick Winters in Band of Brothers would make a great Red Tobin, but he might be pushing his age a little now...

Anyway, I leave it to you all...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just saw Battle of Britain DVD for $10 the other day in the grocery store!
Here's a tid bit for you. General Adolf Galland actually flew one of the Spanish Ha 1112s (Bf 109 copy) in the movie.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I'd hope Arnie would be in it, redoing the scene of a Polish pilot landing in by parachute in a rural field with farm workers mistaking him for a Jerry.......'Good afternoon'...the getting told to stick his hands up with a pitch fork pointing at him...:eusa_clap

Trying hard to think who would replace James Fox or Edward Fox landing in by parachute in a veggie patch and the young lad running in the house and getting a box of cigarettes and offering him one...'Thanks awfully old chap.....' ...............er...Martin Clunes???? ;)

I guess the list would be endless......

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
DiabolicalAngel said:
Trying hard to think who would replace James Fox or Edward Fox landing in by parachute in a veggie patch and the young lad running in the house and getting a box of cigarettes and offering him one...'Thanks awfully old chap.....' ...............er...Martin Clunes???? ;)

Paul Bettany.

195px-Paul_bettany.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SAVE the Scramble Cafe at Battle of Britain Airfield Biggin Hill

More non-sense. Council are going to bulldoze the Scramble Cafe at the famous Biggin Hill RAF fighter station next month (August) so they can stick an electrical power plant there!

HurricaneSqdn.jpg

This building has been there since 1900, and served the RAF/RFC as a parachute packing store among other things. It saw active service in the dark days of 1940-41 during the Battle of Britain and is now a memorial to those days as a cafe where people can come and remember over their cappuccinos!

Now the council in their wisdom, want to wipe another living memory off the face of the earth. (Remember not so long ago the Brown Derby over on the West Coast of the US? These heathens will stop at nothing to chip away at the Golden Era and our history).

So... please send a quick email to the local newspaper (Biggin Hill Today), to support keeping the SCRAMBLE CAFE!! Email link below to the Editor. Thankyou :)

Charlotte McDonald
Editor
Bromley Borough & Biggin Hill News
01959 564766

bh-editor@internet-today.co.uk
EMAIL THE EDITOR OF THE NEWSPAPER HERE TO SAVE SCRAMBLES CAFE

Cobden

Practically Family
Will do soon; my living history group are all emailing there protests.

I am also looking into writing to English Heritage and seeing whether the building could be given a spot listing (so it is illegal to demolish)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just one short email to save the Scrambles Cafe

That's all it takes. Just like A FEW was all it took in the dark days of 1940 out of this airfield and others like it to defeat an arrogant warmonger who thought he could walk over the little people and re-write history.

PLEASE email Charlotte (Editor) and let her know how you feel about history being indiscriminately wiped out like this.

Thank you so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass