Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1940) - Respecting THE FEW.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Naphtali said:
Let us know how this book compares with Len Deighton's Spitfire.

I imagine you mean "Fighter" by Len Deighton.

He's actually written two books on the Battle, the aforementioned "Fighter" and also "The Battle of Britain", which is a simplified version of "Fighter" with more pictures.

I'm not mad keen on Deighton's BoB writings which I find slightly sensationalist, but then I'm the same with Bungay as well. IMHO there's better books on the Battle out there.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Naphtali said:
Let us know how this book compares with Len Deighton's Spitfire -- corrected to Fighter.

It's quite simple really. If you only buy one book on the Battle of Britain, this could be it!!!!
Day to day overview, personal memories (some never published before), lots of background material and loaded with pictures, paintings and drawings. In a stunning layout. Need I say more?:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
It's quite simple really. If you only buy one book on the Battle of Britain, this could be it!!!!
Day to day overview, personal memories (some never published before), lots of background material and loaded with pictures, paintings and drawings. In a stunning layout. Need I say more?:)

Good to her it's a goodie Soren. I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive.

I've always recommended Richard Townshend Bickers book as the first intro book on the BoB so now I'm really interested to see Bishop's tome.

Did you receive Dilip's book as well?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Good to her it's a goodie Soren. I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive.

I've always recommended Richard Townshend Bickers book as the first intro book on the BoB so now I'm really interested to see Bishop's tome.

Did you receive Dilip's book as well?

Nope - Dilip's book's still in the pipeline.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
SEPTEMBER 15: BATTLE OF BRITAIN DAY

TallyHo1600-2.jpg

Let's never forget The Few.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:

Finally got my copy on Friday and as you were Soren I was hugely impressed.

Beautifully presented and laid out with a very readable text. I probably own over a hundred books on the Battle and I can honestly say this is (along with Townshend Bickers' 1990 offering), the very best introductory book on the BoB. It even had a number of photos that were new to me.

Would recommend this to any Lounger with an interest in the BoB.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm reading it at the moment and it is as impressively researched as others say.

Personally (perhaps because I'm an academic myself), I prefer the generation of BoB or WW2 books that were written soon after the event by people 'who were there' but as secondary academic research this book takes some beating IMHO. I recommend it, although some people may find it a 'dry read' compared to, say, Deighton's book.

I, too, await Sarkar's book with interest - I think that will be really good..

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
How life moves on

When I was in school in Britain in the early sixties I knew a couple of these guys who'd flown in fighter command in 1940 but who by then were in respectable but humdrum jobs.....one was a bank manager of all things and the other a sales manager for a company that sold grinding wheels. Great guys who weren't in the least interested in talking about their experiences and is some ways laughed about it. Completely fearless, driving with the grinding wheel sales manager was a life threatening experience, and both had a great sense of humor, and liked their tipple as they called it. Their version of it wasn't at all heroic but just like doing a rather dangerous day job. Another thing you have to remember is that most of these guys were in their twenties.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm full of anticipation for Dilip's book as I think it promises to be a goodie. Once again I'd like to put a plug in for his BoB photographic volumes as they really are superb, with some simply incredible images.

Very interested to hear what you think of his new book Soren, and eagerly awaiting my copy.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy: How many volumes are there of Dilips Photographs of BoB. I' ve been able to spot 4 - are there more than that?

Sounds like something I should get hold of.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Smithy: How many volumes are there of Dilips Photographs of BoB. I' ve been able to spot 4 - are there more than that?

Sounds like something I should get hold of.:)

I'm pretty sure he's only done the four thusfar Soren. I know for a fact you'll like them. The first two are my favourites.

EDIT: By the way and before I forget, another little piece of news which might make some of you prick your ears up...a little bird told me that Geoff Wellum's classic "First Light" is to be made by the BBC for release for the 70th anniversary of the Battle. Made me smile!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner