Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Batwings"

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
After trying to "find" a missing suit for over a month, I decided to visit several men's clothing stores in Louisville (Kentucky) to look for its replacement. I was not planning to purchase a suit today, only to see what was available. My experience at various stores was very mixed.

First, I visited one of the local Jos. A. Bank stores. My main purpose at this store was to inquire as to the difference between their Signature and the Signature Plus suits. The salesperson explained to me that the only difference between the two was the quality of the material the suit was made from, and that the 'fit' of the suits were the same. After some discussion, I mentioned that I was looking for a suit that did not have 'batwings'. I explained that what I meant was that I wanted a suit that had smaller armholes, one whose shoulders would not raise above my ears when I move my arms (I tend to be somewhat animated when I talk). Even after trying on a jacket, the salesperson still did not understand my concerns. He only harped on the 'quality' of the material. So much for JAB suits.

Next, I stopped at the Brooks Brothers store at Mall St. Matthews. Thankfully, FL member Orgetorix was there to assist me. I explained to Jeff what I was looking for and he immediately knew which BB suit line that best fit under my arms. Jeff explained that although the armholes in the suit were cut smaller, I would probably not be happy with the slim cut of the jacket. Jeff had me try on several jackets from the different BB lines and discussed the pros and cons of each as they related to my torso. Jeff explained to me that if fit was important to me, I would not be happy with either the cut of a standard 48L or a 50L. Jeff informed me that my best bet would be to have a suit 'Made to Measure' to account for the shape of my shoulders and the depth of my chest. Jeff mentioned that I may wish to try on other manufacturer's suits to see how they fit, and actually told me what stores carried them. This was a 'first class' experience! Jeff 's commitment to customer service was outstanding.

Last, I stopped at the Dillards store at the same mall. I told the salesperson that I was looking for a suit that had smaller armholes. He told me that all suits are made that way, and that the extra material under the arm was to be expected. I promptly thanked him and left.

Long story short.... I may try the two 'upscale' men's stores that I did not visit, but I will probably come back to Brooks Brothers for a M-T-M suit.

---

Epilogue: My wife 'found' my suit hanging behind the door in our closet. I previously tore apart the closet, but didn't check behind the door. Duh!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
When you have a suit you love, you want to wear it all the time. Problem is that you get branded as the wearer of that suit and only that suit. I have one suit like that... I can't not wear it, it just fits perfectly and I can do anything in it... it suits my personality.

Glad you found your suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner