Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC: Ban The Bulldog or No Crufts on TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, it's Vintage. :)

Many breeds of purebred dog which have been around for centuries are being held hostage as the BBC demands that the venerable Crufts dog show ban them from the show, because the BBC has deemed them genetically unfit...

Including that great symbol of British strength, courage and tenacity, the Bulldog, liberally-used images of which became interchangeable with that other British Symbol of strength, courage and tenacity, Prime Minister Churchill.

The sorry tale.

Pardon my saying so, but what's in the tea at the BBC?

british-bulldog.jpg
Winston_Churchill_British_bulldog_portrait.jpg

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
The BBC ban is fully justified it stems from an investigation into the kennel club and it"s so called persuit of perfection to the detriment of the animals health and well being.I agree that many of these breeds have evolved over many hundreds of years to become what they are,but the modern day breeder is seeking perfection at all costs,was"nt this what Adolf Hitler was trying to do,the perfect race at no cost,Winston Churchill thought so as a proud Englishman i look forward to further comment.

Feraud

Bartender
Aren't all (or most) dog breeds the result of human intervention?
If the health of dogs are the real issue this may set a precedent to exclude more breeds. Where do we draw the line at man's desire for canine aesthetics?
Next we need to do something about those puppy mills..

Josephine

One Too Many
We saw a short documentary on how "they" now believe the transition from wolf to dog only took tens of years instead of hundreds or more. One section showed drawings/plates of what was considered a bulldog in the 1800 (quite the variety) and today's bulldog (rather sad what has been done to it in search of "perfection"). Very different looking dogs indeed.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I remember seeing a documentary where they took 10 pairs of foxes and separated them from their wild pack. After just 6 generations, certain recessive traits (like patches of white hair and spotted coats) began to be dominant in the families. 6 generations, what is that, < 3 years?

If you look at pedigrees from the 50s compared to those now (the Siamese comes to mind) they look dramatically different. The dramatic ascetic of the animal has taken dominance to their overall health/temperament in a lot of pedigrees.

Some breeds of dog cannot be born on its own, but has to be born cesarean. How is it good for the animal continuing to breed traits that make it look good but are detrimental to its health?

Ever had a Pure Bread Shar-Pei (raises hand)? They are a nightmare physically! My baby went in for so many ear and eye and skin problems...

So while I understand where this ban is coming from, I dont think its going to have the effect they think it will.

LD

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Here in the UK i think it has had quite an impact already folks here hold animal welfare close to their hearts and the withdrawal of support by the BBC and Pedigree Petfoods, of crufts dog show has hit home hard.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Didn't the ASPCA stop supporting the Westminster Kennel Club show for the same reason? According to the documentary that I saw, which may be the same as others have seen, this perverted idea of breeding paralled the rise of the bourgeoisie in western Europe (especially England) and is a parallel to and result of the exaggerated class snobbery that developed there.
This extreme distortion of breeds was done relatively quickly, in evolutionary terms. It would appear that the reversal of this trend may take place quickly, as well.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Darwinian Breeding

I don't know much about dog breeding, only that the animal shelters are full of dogs that needs homes. Some of them are smart and vigorous enough to have lived on the street. The dog I adopted had some problems, but the time, money and effort it took to fix them has been rewarded 100 fold.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Rhodesian Ridgebacks made their list. Interesting. I wonder how they determined genetic problems with this breed since the origin is rather clouded.

{Oh, and I have nine dogs so I definitely favor anything that protects a dog's welfare, though I'm not sure that's what the BBC is accomplishing - perhaps a show on the problem rather than just drop a show about dogs?}

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
MEDIUMMYND said:
The BBC ban is fully justified it stems from an investigation into the kennel club and it"s so called persuit of perfection to the detriment of the animals health and well being..

what i find hypercritical of the kennal club is its failure until recent yrs to allow the parsons terrier/jack russell to be classed as pedigree by the club because it was "genetically developed" for hunting...in forsight a blessing as compared to many breeds like the bulldog and pug for instance theres far less health issues!:rolleyes:

the thing about the British bulldog to me is its more some of the characteristics of the breed than what it looks like....strong , stubborn, unmoveable and loyal that sums up being British!(especially in WW2!)

scotrace said:
Yes, it's Vintage. :)

Many breeds of purebred dog which have been around for centuries are being held hostage as the BBC demands that the venerable Crufts dog show ban them from the show, because the BBC has deemed them genetically unfit...

Thank god we won't have to put up with this garbage non-programme on the TV every bloody year from now on. What a joke. Hopefully they'll also cancel Trooping of the Colour and the Edinburgh Tattoo, and all the other anachronisms.

bk

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Jack Russells

I believe the "problem" with Jack Russells is that they don't breed "true". There is a smooth coat and a rough coat variety, like fox terriers. But the two coats pop up randomly in litters. The traits can't be separated into strains. Stupid distinction to make, stupid to exclude the breed from "pedigreed" breeds, but a damn lucky thing for Jack Russell terriers.
Hey, at least the Trooping of the Guards brings in tourist dollars, and doesn't make the soldiers kids get born with inside out noses.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DBLIII said:
Rhodesian Ridgebacks made their list. Interesting. I wonder how they determined genetic problems with this breed since the origin is rather clouded.

I have a Ridgeback cross and while researching that breed, oh man, the things they will do to MAKE SURE that Ridgeback has a patch of hair growing in the opposite direction on their backs (inbreeding, killing or giving away dogs that are physically 'healthy' but no ridge what so ever). :(

LD

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Thank god we won't have to put up with this garbage non-programme on the TV every bloody year from now on. What a joke. Hopefully they'll also cancel Trooping of the Colour and the Edinburgh Tattoo, and all the other anachronisms.

bk

Fun guy. One man's garbage is another's anxiously awaited annual event. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL