Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC: Ban The Bulldog or No Crufts on TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
MEDIUMMYND said:
was"nt this what Adolf Hitler was trying to do,the perfect race at no cost,Winston Churchill thought so as a proud Englishman i look forward to further comment.

Of course, I also seem to recall that dear Winston was somewhat in favour of eugenics himself. ;) I abhor hysterical moral panics and those who would fuel them, though it seems that this action by the Beeb and the dog food producers is based upon a serious consideration of the issues rather than any knee-jerk response. Whether it will have the desired result remains to be seen, though I imagine as much as anything these companies wishing to end their association from what they consider to be cruel practices is the desired effect rather than necessarily to bring about a definitive end to them.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm thinking that I made my point very poorly.

There is undoubtedly a serious and heartbreaking problem with the greedy breeding of poor specimens of pet animals worldwide. It is a problem in the USA, and I suspect equally so in the UK. It's deplorable. Puppy mills (and the feline equiv), produce unhealthy animals with short lifespans and bad temperaments. The overpopulation of cats and dogs is something local governments around the world have to deal with somehow.

But I am thinking that to point to Crufts as a responsible party is a misguided feint in the wrong direction. Rather like pointing to Nordstrom as being at fault for the toxic Chinese-made flip-flops sold at Walmart.

The breeders who exhibit their dogs in the sport of dog showing at Crufts are, by and large, the very people who should be held up as a better example. They are, in fact, people who breed their animals very carefully for adherence to the standard of the breed (set out, in most cases, in the 19th century), for health, for longevity, for good temperament (because otherwise they'd be thrown out of the ring), and to control the general population of the breed they exhibit. They use modern genetic tests to determine suitability of a breeding pair, strive to eliminate things like skin allergies and hip dysplasia generally, and breed-specific maladies within their lines. Otherwise fine-looking animals with bad hearts, for example, are not used for breeding. Dog showing is an extremely competitive sport. Breeding willy-nilly without regard for the health or confirmation of the offspring would be a ruinous and expensive undertaking. Many of them, if not most, are actively involved in their breed clubs, arranging for the rescue of abandoned animals, work hard at public education, advise governments in responsible legislation, and are the most venomous people imaginable in the quest to stop over-breeding of the animals they love.
I also want to point out that every single breed of purebred dog, no matter what the breed, was created for a very specific purpose, and form strictly followed function. The whippet is for racing. The clumber spaniel for methodical game flushing. The dachsund for entering slim underground burrows. The husky for sled pulling. The bulldog for bull baiting. The doberman for police work. Every breed of dog, from toenail to ear, looks as it does because that's the way it has to look to perform its job. They came to look as they do over centuries of selective breeding to produce the animals best suited to the work at hand. In Victorian times, many of those tasks for which they were bred became passe', and the writing was clearly on the wall for many breeds who did indeed go extinct.
Dog shows came about because those devoted to their favorite breed thought them too wonderful to allow to die out. So the dog show was born as a way to continue to strive to create an animal that was the very best-suited for its designated work, even if that job of work was no longer required of it in many cases. The gamekeeper no longer requires a dog to help catch poachers. Yet the bullmastiff is still bred so that the best examples are constructed in such a way that they could do so, if the need arose.

I should think the BBC would be better off, and the public better served, by holding out some other example of the bad, and the participants at Crufts as an example of the good.

As an aside, this may be the very first Fedora Lounge thread in which a poster resorted to Godwin's Law in the very first reply.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I agree with what you are saying scotrace. I feel that so frequently we react with extremes when we perceive a problem in our modern society. I feel it would be a shame to lose the distinct and diverse breeds we have today; because we, as a society, chose to over react. I think that it is important that we back off and really assess where the problem is coming from. I say that to support ethical breeders and shun the not so ethical breeders in itself would probably suffice. I really think that banning certain breeds from a dog show is as someone said, little more than "marketing." Yes, it may draw attention to a problem. But until we take some responsibility as individuals and stop purchasing from unethical people in general we will affect no change. Instead we will probably lose something very precious.

It is like the day that someone called animal control because we had our dog in the car with us. The dog lives a very privileged life (trust me spoiled doesn't begin to describe.) They have an extreme definition of animal cruelty and have not taken the time to look for the real problem. They have not taken the time to realize it is the dog that you do not see that is in need of help. Instead they have over reacted and chosen to direct their attention where at the very least it is not going to do any good as there is not a problem. At the very worst it will cause so much grief for a responsible dog owner that perhaps a well loved and cared for pet may lose its home. It is the same with the dog show. Is it really going to help to direct attention there? Probably not. Look for the real problem folks. Don't make problems where there aren't any to begin with.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
MEDIUMMYND said:
The BBC ban is fully justified it stems from an investigation into the kennel club and it"s so called persuit of perfection to the detriment of the animals health and well being.I agree that many of these breeds have evolved over many hundreds of years to become what they are,but the modern day breeder is seeking perfection at all costs,was"nt this what Adolf Hitler was trying to do,the perfect race at no cost,Winston Churchill thought so as a proud Englishman i look forward to further comment.
I can't believe you are actually comparing what was done to humans with what has been done to domestic animals.
Are you a member of PeTA or something? Because that sounds exactly like something they would say.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
I'm thinking that I made my point very poorly.
I agree,my point is that it is the extreme messure"s that some people are prepared to take purely for reasons of of called perfection.Surely beauty is more than skin deep,i would add that i am not a member of any animal rights groups.As a point of interest Churchill was a cat lover.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Well of course we need to get rid of bad breeders. They not only make other breeders look bad they also make the specific breeds look bad.
But I cannot and will not punish the breeds. Whether with breed specific legislation or a breed ban at a dog show. Living in a rural community I know people who breed many different types of animals. Everything from dogs to rabbits and cattle.
For many of them it is their livleihood as much as dental assisting is mine.
They care about their animals because to not care would cost them in more ways than just the money.
They are just as angry about poor breeding as anyone else. But to pass laws or ban them from certain dog shows and kennel clubs doesn't serve any purpose but to punish all breeders good and bad.

On another note what gets me is how people get these dogs knowing what they were bred for and expect them to be the perfect pet. Then when they're too wild they end up at the pound or a breed rescue.
For example, I have a black lab/pit mix. I know what pit bulls were originally bred for and I know what labs were bred for. One being originally a working dog (warfare) and the other a sporting dog (hunting). Both breeds are high energy and very smart. So when I first got Smokey I had to work with him all the time to teach him to be calm and well behaved. Now at 12 he's the best dog ever. Very good with my children yet he still likes to rough house sometimes. Very protective,loyal and lovable.
If you get him going and you just say "ouch" he'll stop and look at you and wait for command. Even if he hasn't hurt you.
Now let me tell you the first two years were the worst. But had I not researched before I got him I would have given up and missed out on a wonderful dog.
But where I live he would be considered vicouse and I would have to get him bonded if they knew he was part pittie. I tell animal control he's a lab when I get his tags.

Here are some pics I took just last night.
ATTACKED BY A KID!!
PICT0351.jpg

Down for the count!
PICT0352.jpg

Eeeewwwww!Girl germs!
PICT0354.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member