Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beard grooming?

Doublegun

Practically Family
For the past couple of months I have been growing a beard. I've been trimming it with scissors but it's time for an electric trimmer. There are countless trimmers on the market but I am struggling as I sort through the options. I'd like versatility quality and a relatively low cost. Any suggestions and/or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

JDG

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've had a Conair trimmer for about 10yrs.
It looks like a trimmer your barber would use, with a few exceptions.
There is an adjustable head, it actually swivels to a few different positions.
Then there is a height attachment, used to make the beard longer or shorter.
It's also rechargeable if you need that.
All in all I give it 5 stars out of 5.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I could never get mine the way I wanted it so I let a barber trim it at haircut time. Even then, it seemed to change shape overnight if that makes sense. So I would have to go back the next day and get it evened up. Then it would stay nice until haircut time rolled around again (2 weeks).

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I have tried several specialized beard trimmers over the years. On the advice of my barber, I finally picked up a professional quality "Whal Senior" hair clipper and guide combs and will never go back. It took a few tries before I was comfortable with using it, but the powerful clipper makes it easy to get an even trim. Well worth the investment.

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
I second the Whal, it worked for me until I shaved.
I gained 30 pounds with the beard and once shaved, couldn't figure out who this double chinned fat guy was who ate me.
It took awhile to loose the chins.

GoetzManor

Familiar Face
To be honest, my wife is a dog groomer and I use her Andis dog clippers with a 3/4" blade attached. Workis like a charm. Then I use my micro-matic razor and shave the neck area close.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I have two different electric groomers/trimmers plus a dedicated pair of mustache/beard scissors that have a micro serrated edge to hold the beard hair in place. I find I use all three alternately depending on my beards mood. some days a quick snip of the scissors works and others I need to hover over all my beard with the electric trimmer to get all the stray hairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ