Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beat up!

Wil Tam

Practically Family

So I acquired this from eBay, it was part of a lot of two .. this one is the Schoble Idler and it was much less than good in condition ... it had holes from mothing & nibbles all over the outside top of the crown ... the leather sweatband was intact with just slight hardening where the threading was [no reeding] .. it was a light weight so it didn't come with a lining. Plus on top of all that it was 2 sizes too big on me ... I had my work cut out for me if I wanted this hat to be a least serviceable as a fishing hat.

First I stripped the components for use on the other hat that came with it, just the ribbon, more on that project in another installment of "Wil Tam's take on DIYing" I reused the leather sweatband on this one after I trimmed the all of hard length off.

Then I flipped it so that the nibbles were inside & gave it a hot bubble bath in ivory soap while molesting the brim so it would be wider, making it 3" instead of the 2 1/2" it was originally .. giving me a shorter crown & a size that won't be as loose on me noggin.[huh]

I had a brown ribbon that I fabricated for another project that got beat up from attaching & reattaching [I know what you mean by the good stuff now] had some dings from the threading .. the vintage stuff [the good shit] keeps it's shape with just a little massaging.

Any how, here are some pics for you to gander:

TheIdlerbySchoble.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg

before & after the flip and recrease, the discoloration from the old leather sweat was the main reason why I couldn't reuse the thin ribbon
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
IMG_0114-1.jpg

front, side & back views .. see the holes on the front & back .. now that's character .. that even Jed Clampett would be proud of! heh heh
IMG_0116-1.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

top and closeup of the bow I made :D

I reused the ribbon and bow I crafted even if it looking a little ragged .. I thought that it would go well with the worn look of the hat ... figured a new ribbon and bow would look off on this one.

to be continued....
----------------
Now playing: Ella Fitzgerald - Summertime
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
the vainity shots!

IMG_0104.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg

before any installation to check on size & look ... being such a camera whore!
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg

after installing everything
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

I'm loving this lid ... going to be my official fishing beater!

At first I didn't think it was going to be worth fixing but I'm liking the 3" brim & the lightness of it.
----------------
Now playing: Ella Fitzgerald - Makin' Whoopee
via FoxyTunes

4and1

One of the Regulars
Great idea flipping and resizing that hat. Jed Clampett is what I was thinking just before I read Jed Clampett. You'll look good fishing in that hat. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy