Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater Brotherhood

Magus said:
Am I alone in this thinking?

..."Man...all these other hats look like top notch sweet lids to me! :)"

I guess my idea of a beater is juuuuuuust a bit different. lol

I'm with you on that one, Magus. I first heard the term "beater" used to describe an automobile that wasn't worth much, probably had a bit of superficial body damage and torn upholstery but still got you where you were going just fine. If you were feeling generous, you might say it had a bit of "character." You know, it was the car to "beat around" in.
But it's all relative, I guess. More affluent people probably think of the car they bought new five years ago as a "beater." Perhaps the hat-rich among us see nothing particularly precious in a hat others would view as a treasure.
Me, I like old cars, and I like old hats. And just as I wouldn't subject a like-new vintage car to the rigors of everyday use, I don't wear my like-new vintage lids in downpours or when I expect to be getting sweaty and/or dirty.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Beater" defined

I tried to take the subjective nature out of the term "beater" knowing full that each of us brings our own definition to the term. In the interest of making this a thread about sharing photos and keeping it as inculsive as possible I established, for the purposes of this thread, this specific definition:

"What is the hat that you reach for when it is raining outside or when you know that it is going to take a beating? Sometimes these are our best and most favorite hats. Sometimes these are hats who are past their primes, or hats that are smiply indestructible. Show a photo and provide an explanation."

Some are precious, perhaps. My 1929 Mercury felt Adventurebilt certainly is, but it is also tough as nails and floppy, which makes it a beater for me. I have other hats for dress.

Magus

Practically Family
HJ....

Just so you know...I was not trying to cast dispersions on your topic...or definition...as it is an interesting one. You clearly defined the subject matter from the outset. (In my humble thoughts...weak though they are after being a musician for so long...man road gigs take their toll! lol) I was pointing out that though most of the hats shown are indeed "everyday hats" a "beater" to me might be something you crawl under a car in, or trim a tree, or (as Bogart...go gold mining) I don't think you or the other gents are high rollers that would consider a Merc Advnt. the kind of hat to treat in the manner I described.

Again...GREAT thread.

M

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
This is the one I reach for when it rains....

RedPop4

One Too Many
As of now, most of my hats are beaters, to some extent. The exceptions are my Borsalino San Remo, and my Montecristi from PanamaBob.

P2090146.sized.jpg

The tan colored New York, is one I wear a good deal.

My Indy is another one.
P3030449.sized.jpg

And my $8.49 ebay special Stetson.
P5180515.sized.jpg

P5180518.sized.jpg

Magus

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Ok then, this is a beater to me:
potc2501.jpg

:p

Regards,

J

I agree JP! In fact the hat I showed as a beater also has had a small hole starting in the crown at the front....and the back! lol And though I KNOW this is off topic....man I just LOVE bound brims!

M

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm with you there on the bound brims. There is just something about them; an added touch of cool.

That is a nice looking beater, though I want to snatch it from his head and put some style into it. ;)

Speedster

Practically Family
Here is a picture of my beater:

109_0974.jpg

Made of furfelt (rabbit) by a Danish company DANICA HAARFILT which has long since vanished.

Saved the hat some 20 years ago where it had been lying in the back of an old LADA for years just before the car went to the breakers yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner