Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BEAUTIFUL vintage topcoat by President Eisenhower's tailor!

tweedydon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This comes complete with its original hanger!

This is absolutely beautiful! In the middle of the C20th GGG Clothes were one of the top tailoring firms in the country. Operating out of Brooklyn, they specialized in exceptionally high quality bespoke suits and coats, and were Eisenhower's tailor of choice when he ran for the Presidency--and then during his time in office. Martin Greenfield worked here, buying the company in 1977 and renaming it Martin Greenfield Clothiers. He continues to this day making clothes "the GGG way", and has outfitted Ford, Clinton, and Obama.

GGG Clothes also has a part in baseball history, for its connection to the Brooklyn Dodgers and the most famous sign in baseball history--see my Facebook page WaterhollowTweed for more information!

This coat demonstrates why GGG Clothes was regarded as one of the top tailors in the country. The fabric is a wonderfully thick, soft, and sturdy wool in a black birdsye pattern that's so subtle that it presents as solid unless inspected very closely. The coat is a standard three button front, with the classic two-button cuffs; all of the buttons are intact and in excellent condition. The coat is fully canvassed and fully lined. The two front pockets are extremely deep, and exhibit no signs of wear; the right-hand external pocket also features an internal ticket pocket. This has a single centre vent. It has peak lapels and very natural shoulders.

It was, of course, made in the USA--indeed, it was Made in Brooklyn!--likely in the mid 1960s. (This is certainly pre 1977, when GGG became Martin Greenfield Clothiers.) It was originally sold by Harveson's of Trenton. Remember, in the 1960s Trenton wasn't the city it is now, but readily outshone its neighbor Princeton in wealth, style, and influence (if you could afford to move to Trenton from Princeton you did!) and Harveson's was one of the main stores catering to the industrial and political elite.

This coat is in absolutely excellent condition. It has one tiny flaw--a tiny moth nibble by the shoulder--which I only found while doing close-up photographing. This has been looked after very carefully--as is evident from the fact that it still comes with its original hanger!--and could easily last you another three decades, or more. As such, this is a steal at

just $69, OR OFFER, boxed and shipped in the USA. International shipping available at reduced cost!

Measurements:

Chest: 22
Sleeve: 25 (+2)
Shoulder: 18 1/4
Length (BOC): 39 1/2

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
WOW! This is a great deal for sure! For your price, a person would be lucky to find a JUNK coat at K-Marts! I am sure someone will see this as such and take you up on your generous selling price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart