Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

becoming an interior

true vintage

New in Town
If anyone can give me information on becoming an interior designer, that would be great!"

I have not gone to school for interior design nor do I plan to anytime soon due to present circumstances, but if I were to call around to explore my options, I wonder if company's would be willing to hire me on knowing I have little knowledge in that particular field. Where do I start?

Is anyone in that field now? What are your recommendations?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to be an outside salesman for commercial systems office furniture and would work with our co-located design team on the larger comprehensive projects.

I've seen people start as receptionists and such and assist in setting up swatch cards, running errands, admin type stuff. While doing that they were usually attending school and then slid into a position when they were qualified.

Interior designers are professionals and they get pretty protective of the training they go through so no matter how you get in the door, you're gonna have to go to school if you want the title.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
carebear said:
Interior designers are professionals and they get pretty protective of the training they go through so no matter how you get in the door, you're gonna have to go to school if you want the title.
Yup, that's right! I am working on my master in interior architecture now, and when I finish I will have studied at least 5 years, that's as long as a nurse. You don't want nurses to just start out without training, do you? ;) As you can see, we get a little protective! :p

I also really belive that education is important, interior architecture/design is a complicated field, and you need to know what you are doing. But, if you don't feel like spending 5 years at university, I'm sure there are alternatives. You might need a long education to take on big projects like hospitals, where there are thousands of things to consider. (Hygiene, back-friendly flooring, orientation, mental health etc.) But, if you mainly want to work with decoration in private homes, I am sure that you can find some shorter courses or evening classes. They might be called "interior stylist" or "interior decorator" instead of "interior design/interior architecture."

Good luck, and welcome to the best proffesion ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou