Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before and After Vintage -- Gentlemen

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Edward - on one of your earlier incarnations it looks like you are larking around with Peter Serafinovich (not sure how it's spelt!) - is it him?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Margaret's deed transfer shenanigans is going to cause mucho problems next season.

Jimmy had nowhere to go. They wrote him into a corner. I read somewhere that he was too difficult on the set for a no-name actor, so they wrote him out of the script, using the plot devices they did, turning him into a 'doomed' character, although he seemed doomed from the start, so I don't know how true what I read is.

I think there is a lot of room for Richard to develop. He's got lots of possibilities. We also don't know where Van Alden is headed. They showed him in the midwest with the new nanny. That could be a closure item, or he could pop back into the AC underworld, having knowledge of it, and probably needing money that he's had a taste of.

And of course, there's an entire unknown potential cast of characters we do not know about as of yet. I'll be tuned in for season 3.

will.james

New in Town
before vintage i was baggy jeans and bad t-shirts with a mop of hair
got into the vintage thing around 15 but its only in the last few years i have had the
balls to wear it 24/7 now my look is 50s love rockabilly and keep my hair in a
tight 50s flattop

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Then (a twenty-year-old full of piss 'n' vinegar):

punx.jpg

Nowish (aged 30-somthing):

tux.jpg

. . . although, come to think of it, dressing like it was 1980, in 2000, was kinda vintage in its own way!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Then (a twenty-year-old full of piss 'n' vinegar):

punx.jpg

Is that an 'Abrasive Wheels' T shirt? (I can only make out the letters 'ABR' and can't think of other bands/slogans likely to start with those letters) I saw them back in 1983 - they were pretty good compared to most of the British punk around at that time.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Nowish (aged 30-somthing):

tux.jpg

I like this photograph very much. It looks very um...interesting. Like it could be the catalyst for some spy movie or a murder-mystery.

Also, the dinner-suit looks great :)

I don't have any photos of my before-self, and most people know what my 'after' self looks like.

I started getting into the vintage-style thing seriously about...oh...2010 I think? Around when I was in my later years of university. I had more access to buying clothes and such, and then for my...24th...birthday I think...or possibly before that...I got my first hat; an Akubra trilby that was a birthday-present from my father.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very cool, Guttersnipe. Both versions.

IMO Punks make some of the best vintage wearers because their look still has a certain edge to it. Like the sharp peak lapels mirror the gesture :p

Edward

Bartender
Edward - on one of your earlier incarnations it looks like you are larking around with Peter Serafinovich (not sure how it's spelt!) - is it him?

Heh.... Can't see all the photos for some reason so I'm not sure exactly which one you're referring to, but no, I've never met Serafinovich, so it's not him!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
OK, not sure if this counts as 'before vintage': as a teenager I had an interest in old clothes (which helped, because i didn't have enough money for new ones). Most stuff came from jumble sales.
So this is me in about 1980 aged 14/15. 1960s brown corduroy jacket, old cravat (Tootal, if I remember correctly) and a knitted waistcoat (made by my grandmother). I looked out of place among all the punks, skinheads and metallers.
img004.jpg

A couple of years later, and the retro look is now cool (crombie coat & Tootal scarf):
sean2.jpg

Then I slipped away from the old clothes and for a few years survived on stuff from real shops (although I made this shirt - pink with black spots - myself):
img005.jpg

By 1992 I was heading back to vintage (this is my wedding day):
weddingsuit0001.jpg

But I sort of hovered around, half vintage (or more accurately, tailor made in vintage style)-half normal shop stuff for a few years. Then, a bad year which left me hospitalised then housebound for a few weeks, reawakened my interest in vintage (basically, I spent a few days just surfing the internet a reading page after page of Fedora Lounge stuff). So here I am, back where I started in the late 1970s and early 1980s, wearing old men's clothes:
copy-2.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
I kind of always dressed this way, as long as i could afford to- before i bought my own clothing all my clothing was children's clothes, hand me downs from my older cousins so when i was a child in the late 80s /early 90s i was unwittingly vintage .. wearing childrens clothes from the 70s and early 80s. Go figure. I went through a bit of a grunge phase in my teens but always had a thing for hats (got a bowler hat when i was 14), trenchcoats, and the old look- i guess it just imprinted on me as "the way a man dresses" ultimately, to make a good impression and all, since even as a kid i watched all those say, batman cartoons, indiana jones, and generally speaking, films set in a time when adults generally wore hats, suits, what have you. Interestingly enough, i stopped wearing hats when i started wearing suits regularly, and only started dusting them off and putting them on again back maybe a few months before joining this forum. But i got my first three piece suit at 16. I'd cringe if i saw what i looked like back when i was 16 or 17 now most likely, but i always wanted to go in this direction as far as i remember. I really don't even think i own contemporary clothing except for some exercise gear, track suit/running sneakers..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24