Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before and After?

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Here's my hair in all it's natural glory...Not exactly the best picture...But it shows my natural hair...No product or anything.

Lindsey33.jpg

...And here's my set of pincurls hours aftter taking them out...I'm pretty proud of the Pin curls I do...They always come out almost perfect. My sides are pulled back, So it's a bit of a jumbled mess(Attempted to do a forward roll/pompadour thing...Didn't turn out so great...haha).

083.jpg

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Didn't want to start a new thread...

:eek:fftopic:

My hair is extremely thin and fine, and thinning on top....which isn't noticeable unless you're looking down at the top of my head, but still...argh.

When I section my hair, I don't have enough hair to form a proper pincurl, so if I want to get any kind of a vintage-esque look to my hair, I either have to use a curling iron, or rollers.

Now, I've tried the curling iron (using 3/4 inch barrel) , making the curls in the directions indicated by a pincurl set pattern. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The problem is that it is very time consuming, and of course doesn't last.

I've never tried rollers really; I bought some of the foam rollers that have the plastic piece that snaps into place, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use them properly. I couldn't get my hair to roll onto it, and the snapping piece kept getting in my way. I got so frustrated I gave up.

Because my hair is so fine and thin, I don't know if even doing a wet set with rollers would make it last past a day. But would it make more sense for me to use the brush rollers instead of the foam? I need help getting my hair to "grab" onto the roller, so the brush ones seem like the way to go, right?

Anyone else have a frustrating time with fine, thin hair?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
New haircut!

Went from a very plain one length with side swept bangs:

PB210003-1.jpg

(this pic is about six months old, so yesterday my hair was an inch or so longer, but the same shape)

To a vintage inspired U shape (no layers, my baby fine hair hates them). I brought pics in with me, and I think the girl did a great job! Here it is last night, just blown out. I haven't tried any sets with it yet, but I'm looking forward to it! Please excuse the crappy lighting and bra straps showing ...

P5030037-1-1.jpg
P5030038-1-1.jpg
P5030041-1-1.jpg

I kept the bangs because they suit me on a day to day basis, but I can load up on product and blend them into the rest if I feel like it.

PS - check out the pink bathroom... my building was build in 1954! I love it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Gingerella72 said:
:eek:fftopic:

Gingerella, take a stroll through the Beauty forum and you will find several threads that will likely provide you with some advice :)

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Gingerella - I have fine, thin hair too... taking some of the weight and length off the front really helped (see pics above). It's only been a day, but my hair feels much lighter and has more movement and body. I like that I still have the length in the back and that I can still wear a pony tail on blech days. Just a thought :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
KittyT, I like your hair both set and un-set.

Gracie Lee, my cut is similar to your top photo (I grew tired of the U shape and bottom layers I had last year) but I'm struggling to manage my side bangs on a day to day basis especially when it's windy where it's annoying if they blow in the opposite direction. Oddly, the unruliness is cute when I have my hair up in a ponytail. I didn't think of blending my side bangs into any styles, I just grew frustrated with how much longer it took for me to roll them up than any other sections of my hair. Omg! I love the tiling in the bathroom!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
LOL You should see the rest of the apt - I have terrazzo floors in sage, ivory, and pink; pink tiled kitchen counters with an ivory enameled steel sink, and ivory fixtures and walls. I paid my deposit within minutes of seeing it the first time, it's so charming!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Gingerella72 said:
Because my hair is so fine and thin, I don't know if even doing a wet set with rollers would make it last past a day. But would it make more sense for me to use the brush rollers instead of the foam? I need help getting my hair to "grab" onto the roller, so the brush ones seem like the way to go, right?

Gingerella, my hair isn't thin, but it's very fine. I haven't actually tried a proper pincurl yet, but I've had some luck with pillow rollers. I'm still in the "brand new beginner" stage, but they're pretty easy to use, and you just twist the ends together to hold the hair. I also have those foam rollers you're supposed to be able to lock into place, and they just didn't work for me. The pillow rollers are covered in fabric, so they can grab the hair a little better.

zombi

A-List Customer
maggiethespy said:
And this is me with my hair set (once again, please don't scream. You'll also be able to see WHY I don't wear my hair up much. It's called "potato face")

< photos cut for bandwidth>
Thanks for showing your set!! I've been trying to figure out how to make good use of foam rollers because pincurling my whole head makes my arms hurt and [huh] and this is nice for seeing!

Halle

New in Town
My first post

Hiya, my first post (a bit lengthy) but I'd be greatful of your wisdom. I have been through the entrire 'Show us your hair do' thread and I'm eager to try some styles, I am completely new at this, the only thing I have mastered is a beehive but that seems to be pretty much 60's. Although advice on what will work with my hair I do not know..any help is so much appreciated.

Natural cut and style (possibly a wee bit longer now)
Photo387-1.jpg

My just got out of shower and let air dry curls (excuse the silly pose)
Photo777.jpg

Blowdried straight with velcro rollers then brushed out
1274087389-U8.jpg

I wanted a feminine updo but had no idea what to do so improvised (albeit not vintage)
x2_15647e4.jpg

the back
x2_15b544a.jpg

The result I get using curing irons (not too keen but thought I'd show you the curl)
3161_1135437419766_1042234115_40-2.jpg

Any advice on how I can style my hair, bare in mind I need hair on my forehead as I have a very big forehead!

ricki

Familiar Face
Halle said:
I wanted a feminine updo but had no idea what to do so improvised (albeit not vintage)
x2_15647e4.jpg

the back
x2_15b544a.jpg

I've seen the hair bows on the top of the head, but never thought about putting one in the back. I love this hairdo. Plus, the hairbow is vintage.

Halle

New in Town
ricki said:
I've seen the hair bows on the top of the head, but never thought about putting one in the back. I love this hairdo. Plus, the hairbow is vintage.

Ahh I thought it was a bit too modern (and lady gaga) but I thought if I put it on the back of my head it will look a bit more feminine and gentle, just because of the style of my dress and pattern I thought I ought to try and go ladylike in my hair. As can be seen by my posts I'm a total novice with eras but I'm so interested in experimenting with my style. Thanks for the blog link :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner