Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before getting an Aero Board Racer - things to consider.

Bullitt

New in Town
Cheers everybody. Wish I could wear it more often, but it is too warm already, just walked home from a bar in a linen shirt at 2.30am...

I like this design so much better without the center seam down the back. Did it cost more for a 1-panel back?

The centre seam allows for a slimmer fit I believe. Even though I like it slim, I decided to have a one-piece back. Thought it might be more durable. Probably that’s only a subconscious thing. The price is the same.

This is fantastic!!! Vicenza?

Yes it is Vicenza.

Just love that lining, what is it called?

I was looking for a blue/navy pattern lining and I wanted to avoid using a tartan that is associated with a clan. Most Lochcarron tartans combine blue with green and there are many red patterns. This is one of the few blue ones in a braeriach weight, called Patriot Modern.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks really sharp. It is my impression that one must generally size up for a Board Racer, say over a Cafe Racer. Since I wear a size 42 Cafe Racer with 2" added to the circumference of the waist, I think I would likely need a size 44 Board Racer, but who knows? Anyhow, congratulations on a great new jacket at the tail end of a fantastic visit to the Aero factory. Maybe someday for me ...

Edward

Bartender
The centre seam allows for a slimmer fit I believe. Even though I like it slim, I decided to have a one-piece back. Thought it might be more durable. Probably that’s only a subconscious thing. The price is the same.

Yes, it's a fit thing. Denny mentioned it on here in the past, I believe - having two panels there instead of one allows them to cut it to fit more snugly. I'm on the fence over which one looks better myself, though I think if you were going to delete the outer kidney panel, then it looks a little better with a one-piece back.

Bullitt

New in Town
Autumn is coming, looking forward to wearing my jacket.

Unfortunately Photobucket doesn't work anymore, therefore I am uploading the images again, using Imgur.

j6cX355.jpg

imFIdz6.jpg

V2lk5vI.jpg

AlAnQ57.jpg

rtRCCJN.jpg

U1hMEqM.jpg

Rich22

Practically Family
Jacket looks really sharp! Spot on. Did you ever take any fit pics? And did you go for the corduroy strip in the end or no?

Rich22

Practically Family
Looks very smart! The lining works very well, and that's a close match you found with the scarf. They managed to talk you out of the corduroy strip around the bottom hem, hun?

Rich22

Practically Family
If you go with tumbled horween, it will have grain - this is mine:

I'd avoid the inside pocket on this jacket if I was you, it would ruin the line of what is meant to be slim elegant jacket.
Leather patches under the armpits? I've only seen that on Thedi jackets before.

hjv2

Familiar Face
I haven't seen reinforcement armpits in an Aero jacket before though. They certainly doesn't come as standard in a Board Racer. Maybe Sloan's jacket was made during W. Lauder era when Aero were more open to mods like these? I doubt they would add them today.

Rich22

Practically Family
Inside or outside: It is not uncommon on the inside for liner protection. Here is an example from a vintage Reed Motorcycle style jacket:
View attachment 361620

Link to this jacket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324787376000?
Sorry, I should have specified- I meant inside, specifically.

@hjv2 I suspect you're right. Modern Aero aren't keen on adding any leather inside jackets, seemingly. I'd say they feel more strongly about this than other manufacturers. The armpit reinforcement with a more delicate lining seems quite a sensible thing, though, and that looks like it's a show jacket for Aero than a one off piece to a client who specified it.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I should have specified- I meant inside, specifically.

@hjv2 I suspect you're right. Modern Aero aren't keen on adding any leather inside jackets, seemingly. I'd say they feel more strongly about this than other manufacturers. The armpit reinforcement with a more delicate lining seems quite a sensible thing, though, and that looks like it's a show jacket for Aero than a one off piece to a client who specified it.

Cool - that is what I was thinking that, well, you were thinking. :)

I 100% agree that is a very good use of scrap pieces of leather, and just a good idea no matter who makes the jacket. I like "period correct" but also really value durability as well.

I owned a Sears Hercules courtesy of Terry Mitchell a few years back, and it had corduroy patches in these "armpit" areas. Also a very good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner