Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before getting an Aero Board Racer - things to consider.

Bullitt

New in Town
Thanks for all your replies.

When I wrote down the list, I already had an idea about some details, but about other options I am still deciding. Here is what I would like my Board Racer jacket to be like:

I will wear the jacket in spring and autumn in the UK.

1. Leather:
Either FQHH or Italian HH with less grain. It’s a tough decision. Currently I am more drawn to a thick Horween leather jacket, but I can also see the attraction of the Vincenza leather. Haven’t handled any leather yet and am only judging from looking at photos.

1.1. Black, with grey stitching. The brown coloured jackets I have seen here look great. If I should purchase a second Aero jacket, I would certainly get a brown one. Also tempted by the new Vincenza dark blue leather.

2. Lining:
Mid weight red or grey cotton drill. Tartan looks great, but I don’t have Scottish roots and feel that I’m not entitled to wear tartan. Also like the sateen option of Sloan1874’s jacket. Cotton drill might be a bit more durable.

By the way, @Sloan1874, your jacket’s label looks interesting. Tell us more about it…

3. Pockets:
3.1. Two angled chest pockets.
3.2. No hand-warmer pockets. I would prefer to have them, but believe that the Board Racer design would look wrong with hand-warmer pockets. What do you think?
3.3. One inside pocket with snap closure. Yes, it might not look great, but I need this for my wallet.

4. Back:
Single piece with yoke.

5. Arms:
A bit longer. Love the wrinkled look I saw on some of the photos.

6. Windflap:
Yes. It’s quite useful, as I usually wear silk scarfs in autumn. Some of my jackets don’t have a windflap and the zipper sometimes entangles with the thin fabric of the scarf.

7. Zipper:
YKK Two Way (@navetsea: Thanks for mentioning) in antique brass.

8. Collar:
@plainsman, You wrote about options for the collar. What are they?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Rock Roll label comes from Aero's archives. I asked them to swap it for the standard one - it's a lovely detail, isn't it? I'm sure if you ask them nicely, they'll do it for you too.

I'm not aware of Aero offering YKK zips in any form, let alone a two-way one - that's post-Aero's period range. The antique brass Talon is just the ticket.

plainsman

Familiar Face
Thanks for all your replies.

When I wrote down the list, I already had an idea about some details, but about other options I am still deciding. Here is what I would like my Board Racer jacket to be like:

I will wear the jacket in spring and autumn in the UK.

1. Leather:
Either FQHH or Italian HH with less grain. It’s a tough decision. Currently I am more drawn to a thick Horween leather jacket, but I can also see the attraction of the Vincenza leather. Haven’t handled any leather yet and am only judging from looking at photos.

1.1. Black, with grey stitching. The brown coloured jackets I have seen here look great. If I should purchase a second Aero jacket, I would certainly get a brown one. Also tempted by the new Vincenza dark blue leather.

2. Lining:
Mid weight red or grey cotton drill. Tartan looks great, but I don’t have Scottish roots and feel that I’m not entitled to wear tartan. Also like the sateen option of Sloan1874’s jacket. Cotton drill might be a bit more durable.

By the way, @Sloan1874, your jacket’s label looks interesting. Tell us more about it…

3. Pockets:
3.1. Two angled chest pockets.
3.2. No hand-warmer pockets. I would prefer to have them, but believe that the Board Racer design would look wrong with hand-warmer pockets. What do you think?
3.3. One inside pocket with snap closure. Yes, it might not look great, but I need this for my wallet.

4. Back:
Single piece with yoke.

5. Arms:
A bit longer. Love the wrinkled look I saw on some of the photos.

6. Windflap:
Yes. It’s quite useful, as I usually wear silk scarfs in autumn. Some of my jackets don’t have a windflap and the zipper sometimes entangles with the thin fabric of the scarf.

7. Zipper:
YKK Two Way (@navetsea: Thanks for mentioning) in antique brass.

8. Collar:
@plainsman, You wrote about options for the collar. What are they?

You can choose the standard Board Racer collar, the Cafe Racer collar or the Highwayman collar (called Aero Seven by Thurston)

I had YKK's on Aero. And Rock'n'Roll label rocks! When I'm gonna order my next Aero, it's gonna have it.

Did the YKK jacket come to you new?

Yeah, they were brass chain pulls. I got 'em on a new jacket. Aero recommended them over diamond pulls 'cause they're sturdier. Let me just note that I'm not complaining - I've no problems with YKK's, just saying I got them on my jacket.

Edward

Bartender
YKK make quite a wide range of zips - it's a shame, really, that all we ever seem to see are the modern type with that long, square puller. Something more antiquey is definitely the ticket. I've never had a bad YKK zip on anything, though I've sure had a few ugly ones! ;)

When looking at the back for a Board Racer, be aware that the number of panels affects the fit. Denny commented on a thread a year or two ago about this. As I recall, the centre seam allows for the jacket to be cut closer to the body; a one-piece back is possible, but it has to be cut just a touch looser.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you are ticking all the right boxes here, and I concur with folks earlier in the discussion who indicated that the F I T on these jackets (similar to the Cafe Racer and Sheen) is tricky, they run snug through the body.

Perhaps since you are in the UK you could just go to Aero in August when they have thier Grand Theft sale...you just may score a deal on one that fits perfect with no wait. Something to consider....Good Luck deciding

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As a rule of thumb, I am loathe to attempt to reinvent the wheel by changing the pattern of an established jacket pattern except for fit, in my case adding to body and sleeves, and adding 1" to each side panel of my Sheene in order to obtain the proper fit.

Edward

Bartender
Perhaps since you are in the UK you could just go to Aero in August when they have thier Grand Theft sale...you just may score a deal on one that fits perfect with no wait. Something to consider....Good Luck deciding

Possible.... though note that the jackets Will stole were of a limited size-range, and if the sale is limited to those, it won't include a Boardracer (that being one of the designs Ken added to the range after Will left).

Bullitt

New in Town
The Rock Roll label comes from Aero's archives. I asked them to swap it for the standard one - it's a lovely detail, isn't it? I'm sure if you ask them nicely, they'll do it for you too.
Yes it is and it's a beautiful jacket.
How did you learn about this unusual label; did you visit the factory?

You can choose the standard Board Racer collar, the Cafe Racer collar or the Highwayman collar (called Aero Seven by Thurston)
Cheers! I prefer the board racer collar.

When looking at the back for a Board Racer, be aware that the number of panels affects the fit. Denny commented on a thread a year or two ago about this. As I recall, the centre seam allows for the jacket to be cut closer to the body; a one-piece back is possible, but it has to be cut just a touch looser.
A bit looser, while still relatively slim would be perfect. I would like to wear t-shirts or light pullovers underneath.

Sounds like you are ticking all the right boxes here, and I concur with folks earlier in the discussion who indicated that the F I T on these jackets (similar to the Cafe Racer and Sheen) is tricky, they run snug through the body. Perhaps since you are in the UK you could just go to Aero in August when they have thier Grand Theft sale...you just may score a deal on one that fits perfect with no wait. Something to consider....Good Luck deciding
Thanks! It is my plan to visit the factory, the next time i’m in Scotland, to get the fit right.

Tempted to go to the Grand Theft sale. However this will be my first Aero jacket and the first leather jacket I will buy with proper attention to fit and details. Therefore I want it to be »perfect«. Currently I am not planning to get an other leather jacket, as I have to see how this one will fit into my style. There is no point in buying a second one during the sale, just because it is a good price. If I really like this one and feel I would like to have an other one, I might regret not having visited the factory in August - that’s a risk…

Last edited:

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Possible.... though note that the jackets Will stole were of a limited size-range, and if the sale is limited to those, it won't include a Boardracer (that being one of the designs Ken added to the range after Will left).

There will be a full range of sizes - we’ll be adding some bigger size items to the sale so that there will be plenty choice in every size. There are also lots of “Storse” jackets and early samples of the 2013 collection, with a few other additional pieces from around the factory :)

Edward

Bartender
There will be a full range of sizes - we’ll be adding some bigger size items to the sale so that there will be plenty choice in every size. There are also lots of “Storse” jackets and early samples of the 2013 collection, with a few other additional pieces from around the factory :)

Cools! Will anytihng left after the sale go on the website then?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't know. The Vicenza may end up with color variations. I also don't know how this jacket aged so quickly!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGwzLvOMfmC/?hl=en

How long has Vicenza hide been around?

The one thing which I do wonder about with some of these newer "all the rage" hides is if they are tanned to age quickly. The kind of wear you show in that jacket Nick should be at least a decade (if not more) of hard wear and that's wearing nothing else, and giving it absolute hell, but then maybe that's what it's had. If that's a jacket that's only a few years / if not months old, that's alarm bells for me.

I like a jacket to age and develop patina but I don't want it to do it too quickly.

Last edited:

Bullitt

New in Town
@Smithy: I agree with you. It‘s the same with denim, the models that are designed to age quickly and the pre-distressed jeans are not for me. When I buy a jacket, a pair of jeans or shoes, I want it to last as long as possible and slowly develop »patina«, which is a sign of good quality.

The jacket in the photo might be well worn. However the overly impressive patina was obviously achieved by manipulating the image. Contrast and colour-saturation have been increased (just look at the grass…) and there might be some hdr involved.

Bullitt

New in Town
Next week I shall visit the Aero workshop. Being a member of this board, reading about different tastes and looking at photos of great jackets has been good fun and important to get a better idea about what I like. Cheers!

Here is what I plan to order:

1. Jacket:
Board Racer.

2. Leather:
Black Horween or Vincenza with less grain; still thinking about it; I will have to handle both. Dark blue stitching.

3. Lining:
Dark blue mid weight cotton drill or sateen. Thinking about a corduroy strip at the hem to protect the sateen lining.

4. Pockets:
Two angled chest pockets, two hand warmer pockets, one open inside pocket, even though I know about the problems.
Really like @Witchtrip's new Board Racer jacket with the two handwarmer pockets
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-perfection-again-my-new-board-racer-arrives.88186/

5. Back:
Single piece back with yoke and kidney panel.

6. Arms:
A bit longer because of shrinking/greasing.

7. Windflap:
Yes.

8. Zipper:
Nickel Talon. Will ask if they offer a YKK two way zipper and also have a look at their deadstock zipper collection.

9. Collar:
Board Racer collar.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner