Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belgians harvest relics of WWI battles

Belgians harvest relics of WWI battles

YPRES, Belgium (AP) - The summer plowing season in Flanders Fields is a good time for Ivan Sinnaeve.

Known as "Shrapnel Charlie," he keeps alive memories of one of history's bloodiest battles by melting down the First World War shells harvested by farmers and transforming them into toy soldiers which he calls "soldiers of peace."

The 54-year-old Belgian history buff has a huge following among war pilgrims visiting Flanders Fields, the battleground of 1914-1918. Sinnaeve, a retired carpenter, is busier than usual this year, the 90th anniversary of the phase of fighting called the Battle of Passchendaele which saw some of the war's worst trench warfare and its first use of mustard gas.

A half-million Canadians, Britons, Australians, New Zealanders and Germans were killed or wounded, fighting among villages and farms over five eight kilometres of muddy Belgian terrain. Drawn out over five months from June to October 1917, Passchendaele became a symbol of senseless killing.

"I can't make them quick enough," said Sinnaeve, as he showed off some of the 250 shiny lead bagpipers he produced for the anniversary.

He was commissioned by local and Scottish organizers to make the 15-centimetre tall Scottish Black Watch Regiment figurines from shells found in fields where the regiment fought.

He said he always asks the farmers where they found the metal they bring to him, "so I know which regiments were involved." He thinks some of the iron may be from the shells fired at the regiments he is now commemorating as "soldiers of peace."

The proceeds of the sales are helping to pay for a new memorial for all the Scottish regiments in Britain and its empire that were mobilized for the Frist World War.

The memorial is to be unveiled later this year. Few battlefields in the world still yield so many bombs, guns and bones -- about 200 metric tonnes a year around Ypres (Ieper in Dutch).

"You never know what my husband brings home; you can bet it's not a bunch of flowers," farmer Charlotte Cardoen-Descamps says, chuckling as she shows a fresh crop of shells, gas shells, grenades, and an unexploded basketball-size aerial bomb her husband Dirk plowed up.

Farmers have to use extra care, because some shells still leak toxic gases. However explosions are rare because the farmers have become experienced at handling the iron harvest.

"We got 17 pieces this plowing season, but we can expect even more later this year," said Cardoen-Descamps. The ammunition is neatly stacked around the farmyard ready to be collected by bomb disposal experts.

"The nasty shells for us are the gas shells of course, because we can't identify those anymore," she said. "The colour code which gave away the content has rusted away, so if we shake it gently and we hear something slushing around -- well, be careful."

The couple run a bed-and-breakfast where they display helmets, barbed wire, tools and a well-preserved machine-gun.

In Sinnaeve's cramped townhouse, the living room, dining room and kitchen are littered with model soldiers, moulds and tiny paint cans. He has been making his models for 14 years, and says he earns no profit, happy just to know that "I have soldiers all over the world."

He got his nickname, Shrapnel Charlie, from a Canadian visitor who couldn't pronounce his surname. He makes nearly 2,000 soldiers a year, German and Allied, and is almost halfway to his goal of 55,000.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
Thank you for posting this-while I was aware of ongoing battlefield salvage in Europe I had no idea of the sheer volume that was recovered from a single battlefield. It is also nice to know that said salvage is going for such a worthy cause.

Story

I'll Lock Up
You might find this book of interest. I can remember reading the article the author based it on, years ago.

From Publishers Weekly
War scars land as well as people. That is the truth that Webster, a former senior editor of Outside magazine, explores in his evocative first book, expanded from an article he wrote for the Smithsonian magazine. Webster proceeds by examining the physical legacies of 20th-century conflict. In France, the legacy consists of unexploded shells and bombs?12 million of them at Verdun alone.

http://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Remnants-Landmines-Warfare-Devastating/dp/067975153X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails