Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beloved Comic Books--The Uncanny X-Men

I became a big fan of The Uncanny X-Men around issue 116 when I saw the cover. I had already been a big fan of John Byrne's art, but was blown away by what he was doing with the X-Men. Chris Claremont's story lines were unlike anything else at that time. I was hooked.

I was mostly a Cracked reader in the late '70s, primarily due to the John Severin (who died back in February) artwork, but I later came to prefer Mad in a big way. Dave Berg was criminally underrated; I love his stuff. I have a few beat-up issues of both mags lying around.

Cracked174.jpg

Mort Drucker was a big part of what drew me to Mad Magazine. His satirical versions of popular movies were just too hilarious.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I became a big fan of The Uncanny X-Men around issue 116 when I saw the cover. I had already been a big fan of John Byrne's art, but was blown away by what he was doing with the X-Men. Chris Claremont's story lines were unlike anything else at that time. I was hooked.

That issue holds some nostalgia for me, as it was among the first books I bought "off the wall" behind the counter at the comic shop. I wasn't an X-Men reader when the issue was first published, so I had to scrape together allowance for quite some time to pay the $6.00 or whatever I paid for it back in 1984. This was of course before the widespread trade paperback revolution, so finding old books for less than a fortune was quite a task (I remember getting the first printing of the "Phoenix Saga" trade that same year, 1984; dropped the Teen Titans comics I was originally going to get!)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Something my fellow comic readers will love...

Comic Book Time Machine

Select a month, year, and comics company to see all the issues published during that month. Keep in mind that the COVER date is often three months ahead of the CALENDAR date. So if you look up August 1975 by cover dates, it's really a May calendar date. However, there's also the option to just search under calendar date.

Feel free to discuss, reminisce, or just sob uncontrollably over your lost childhood!

n playing around the time machine site, I've realized that the early years of my comic book buying days really didn't amount to many books...I had to split my paltry allowance towards other necessities like Slurpees and candy, in addition to the occasional issue of The Fantastic Four and The Incredible Hulk!

Over the years I have filled in most of the missing comics in my collections and as a result, I now have a few thousand books. My collections of The Avengers, Daredevil, MOKF, The Fantastic Four, and Captain America are almost complete.

Just glancing through the Comic Book Time Machine brings back the sense of joy I would feel when I would see a rack of comic books. The nearest and only place I was able to consistently find comic books as a kid was a 14 mile roundtrip ride. I happily undertook the journey every two weeks filled with anticipation of what I would find. Great times they were.

Last edited:

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
With my recent acquisition of Enemy Ace DC Archives Vol. 2, my interest in Joe Kubert and Bob Kanigher has been revitalized. Joe Kubert's art is cinematic in its approach, as seen in Showcase #57 (1965)

Showcase573.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a little late into this fray...

I used to collect Punisher comics years ago. I have a pretty massive collection, in fact. I stopped collecting about 8-9 years ago just after the kick off of the new series.

I have every self-titled comic (Punisher, War Zone, War Journal, Armory), every mini-series, every magazine (yes, there was a Punisher Magazine), every graphic novel, all three movies, etc., on and on, and nearly every cameo prior to 2004.

Like I said, it's quite a collection.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
fritzthecat.png
[/IMG]
FreakBrothers2-CGC94-Front-740x1000.jpg
[/IMG]

Robert Crumb`s magazines was hitting me hard in the start seventies, when I myself was in my twenties. I really liked the crazy wild morbid and sexual humour in these stories, and we were very much under influence from everything that came over from US at that time. The first Burger king was established near the 'Rådhuspladsen`, and Jefferson airplane, Grateful dead, Lemonpipers and many other hippie groups were heard from the open windows in city all day through....and the nights too
In many ways a wonderful time to grow up, if you could avoid the drugs and the lsd, in which I happened to resist. Beer was good enough for me,and still are:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko