Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff Indiana (Indy) Jones Jacket

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I found the Belstaff Indy jacket that was released under the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull license back in 2008 on eBay for a decent deal so I pulled the trigger on it. It just came in the mail today so I am posting some fit pictures and measurements as an FYI. The sleeves are a bit short, but I think with the way it's constructed I can have my tailor let the sleeves down. There looks to be at least an inch extra material available.

I normally take an XL in most Belstaff jackets due to their slim cuts, but I took a chance on a large based on the 1-2 brief fit reviews out there saying it fits on the large size.

Feel free to let me know what you think of the look and fit!

I think it's a great jacket and the quality is excellent! It's not a heavy weight jacket so it can be worn as a 3 season jacket. Not worth the $2000 original retail price of course, but it's worth considering if you can find one for more than 50% off and are a die hard Indy fan like me.

Size Large

Shoulder: 20" (seam to seam)
Chest: 23" (armpit to armpit laid flat)
Sleeve: 26" (shoulder seam to end)
Length: 26.5" (collar seam to bottom down the back)

Picture 56.jpg Picture 57.jpg Picture 59.jpg Picture 60.jpg Picture 61.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It looks a bit lighter than it should be in the photos... when it comes to an Indy jacket. Is this a good representation?

Also, the jacket really looks pretty good. I think the sleeves look good if you're wearing a suit, but seeing as your shirt sleeves look to be hitting the right spot, the jacket may be better with a slight let out of the sleeves. Overall... it looks like a real 1930s fit to a pretty cool jacket.

Do you have some interior shots? And if you can show the inside of the sleeve where you may have some extra leather to let out. If you do... you could end up with a line at the wrist from where the jacket was creased... but it's a leather jacket, and that too... an alteration... that is a nice story to go along with the look. And at least it's not taking in the leather.

If you do let it out, it gives a nice clean cover for your shirt and keeps from having a space when you are wearing gloves.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
It looks a bit lighter than it should be in the photos... when it comes to an Indy jacket. Is this a good representation?

Also, the jacket really looks pretty good. I think the sleeves look good if you're wearing a suit, but seeing as your shirt sleeves look to be hitting the right spot, the jacket may be better with a slight let out of the sleeves. Overall... it looks like a real 1930s fit to a pretty cool jacket.

Do you have some interior shots? And if you can show the inside of the sleeve where you may have some extra leather to let out. If you do... you could end up with a line at the wrist from where the jacket was creased... but it's a leather jacket, and that too... an alteration... that is a nice story to go along with the look. And at least it's not taking in the leather.

If you do let it out, it gives a nice clean cover for your shirt and keeps from having a space when you are wearing gloves.
Hey Matt - it's a bit tough to accurately capture the true jacket color, but I would describe it as a dusty brown. It's definitely on the lighter side. I think with some wear and leather conditioner it will darken some. I think Belstaff could have used their "black brown" shade...would have really looked awesome.

I don't know what kind of leather it is. I almost want to say buffalo?

I attached some interior and closeup photos taken on my phone. You can see there's somewhere between 1"-1.5" of sleeve material to let out. There may be a line at the wrist, but it would not bother me like it would on a suit jacket. I am thinking the line will be less noticeable after applying some conditioner.

Someone did a review between the Belstaff and Tony Nowak jacket for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull here that shows more pictures of the color: http://www.fortuneandglory.org/thre...OEM)-vs-Belstaff(licensed)?highlight=belstaff

Indy1_resized.jpg Indy2_resized.jpg Indy3_edited_resized.jpg Indy4_edited_resized.jpg Indy5_resized.jpg Indy6_edited_resized.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, they were a reasonable if bland copy of Tony Nowak's actual film jacket - Tony made and also sold them to fans for $750.00 each which was considered slightly expensive back then. Same leather as the film version. Tony's were made to a higher standard than the Belstaff - better construction and stitching, but the Belstaff is fine. The Belstaff pockets are a bit stiff and the whole jacket looks like a US Wings Indy jacket (made by Schott) which was available at a fraction of Belstaff's ludicrous pricing.

The Nowak jacket design was what Ford's costume designer Bernie Pollack requested - a cowhide (all the others were lambskin) and a better fitting pattern. Personally, I think Ford's costume in Crystal Skull is the worst he had and he looks like an old guy in ill fitting Indy cosplay throughout the film.

indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull_movie_image_harrison_ford__1_.jpg

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Yes, they were a reasonable if bland copy of Tony Nowak's actual film jacket - Tony made and also sold them to fans for $750.00 each which was considered slightly expensive back then. Same leather as the film version. Tony's were made to a higher standard than the Belstaff - better construction and stitching, but the Belstaff is fine. The Belstaff pockets are a bit stiff and the whole jacket looks like a US Wings Indy jacket (made by Schott) which was available at a fraction of Belstaff's ludicrous pricing.

The Nowak jacket design was what Ford's costume designer Bernie Pollack requested - a cowhide (all the others were lambskin) and a better fitting pattern. Personally, I think Ford's costume in Crystal Skull is the worst he had and he looks like an old guy in ill fitting Indy cosplay throughout the film.

View attachment 122279
I have heard similar thoughts between the two jackets. Have you owned both the Nowak and Belstaff before Seb? Do you know what kind of leather is used on the Belstaff? I can't put my finger on it...seems too light/thin to be cowhide, not luxurious enough for lambskin, and the grain is not goatskin. My guess is some sort of buffalo or kangaroo leather? Don't think it's tough enough to be taking serious beatings. I think cowhide is still heavy and stiff for Indy running around on his adventures. Goatskin is the hide that is most appropriate in my opinion. Hardwearing and highly abrasion resistant yet supple and lighter.

It would have been nice to get a jacket from Nowak when he was still around. But I am overall pleased with the Belstaff jacket so far. It is a lighter jacket that is very comfortable. The comparison thread I posted earlier did note the Nowak jacket has about a 1" large armhole, so I like the smaller armhole of the Belstaff for ease of movement. I agree the pockets were a bit stiff. I actually just finished applying Allen Edmonds conditioner cleaner to the jacket a few minutes ago and it is supple and darker now like I wanted. I think the leather was slightly dry.

I definitely agree Belstaff priced it ludicrously at full retail. I think it's good as a $500+ish jacket. I also have a Belstaff Brad jacket - which is probably one of the best jackets Belstaff ever produced to be honest. And a leather Brooklands with built in motorycle armor from their Pure Motorcycle collection for serious riding days. I'll admit I paid more than $500 for their Indy jacket, but I see it as something I will wear a lot when I am not wearing my usual G-1 jackets :cool:

And yes, I agree KotCS is the worst Indy costume they put Ford in. I don't know why they had to put him in outfits that were obviously one size too big...it just made him look older.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've handled both jackets - didn't own them. The Nowak was a small so I couldn't try it on. Tried the Belstaff on once - the large seemed perfect. But my memory goes back ten years. The Belstaff is cowhide, it's just treated and cut in a particular way.

Cowhide is one of the toughest leathers going but any hide's appearance and strength depends on how it is treated and processed.

The whole Indy jacket question could fill many posts. For my money they could have used a capeskin A1 for the first film - the correct time frame and weather appropriate material. Or even a goat skin utility jacket, 1920's style. Bear in mind, the first Indy is set in 1936 - his jacket is meant to be old and worn so it probably needs to be a 1920's style. The film jacket is clearly a generic 1980's baggy flight jacket style.

I agree with Edward that an Aero Royale (in goat) would have looked MUCH more period accurate. The early flying jackets were based on these kinds of utility jackets.

AeroR.jpg

The jacket they ended up with is a pretty much adaptation of an A2 without knits, with an open back so Ford could get at the whip easier. I think for the final film he should have had an A2 since it was post war. But the fact is, Indy is like a superhero and has a virtually identical costume with tweaks in each movie - even though it is clearly different clothing.

I think the issue regarding Ford's costume fit for the (hopefully) final film is that the costume size was probably the same as Raiders but it looks ok on a younger man. At 70 a baggy fit makes a man, as you say, look older.

Last edited:

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I just got back my Belstaff Indy jacket from my tailor. She did a good job of lengthening the sleeves as much as possible! There was 1 inch of material to let out. The length is just about spot on now. Now that the sleeves are correct I really love this jacket. It looks great with khakis and my Alden 405 boots :) She had to stitch through the sleeve to secure the inside lining, but the stitching is directly over the fade line from where the sleeve used to end. It hides the line very well and the added stitching actually looks better in my opinion.

Here are some post-alteration photos:

Picture 63.jpg Picture 64.jpg Picture 65(1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko