Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belted back, double breasted, and linen - by Ralph Lauren?!?

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
tonyb, you hit it on the head. The jackets were generally higher and more form-fitting all the way around. They were made to be worn a greater percentage of the time than today. Indeed, without central heating in most parts of the world, jackets were worn indoors much more often. Now, the suit jacket is something to be taken off as soon as possible. Witness the many jackets over the backs of chairs in restaurants. Take a look at the older actors who were not slim, like Edward Arnold or even William Powell. They looked pretty good and they wore their pants high. Even though many of the period ads showed tall and slim men, I have several suit catalogs from the 30s that show suits for medium and large build men. And no offence to anyone here who is a little larger in the stomac, but many men must think that letting a stomac hang over low rise pants looks better than wearing a larger waist pant sitting at the waist (which is the way pants were worn at least through the 50s or mid-60s). Years ago, men seemed to carry their clothes so much differently.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
A Very Good Tailor

I think the most important missing link in this discussion is a good tailor. A good tailor can take a 38 waist pant and sew it down to a high waisted, baggy legged 35 waist, with the correct width cuff. Likewise, a jacket can be altered, if the basics are correct. The key is getting the tailor to know what you want, and then tipping him/her when it is achieved. I'm broke right know, but my pennies go to having things altered to the "Fedora" state of mind. My vintage honey always tells me when I get it right.

Jerekson

One Too Many
MrBern said:
Ralph Lauren doesnt do much below 38R.
Your best bet is to check out his Rugby stores.

ESPECIALLY considering that a 38 by today's standards fits more like a 42 in old-time tailoring. Although I don't think RL is as bad with this as most...

Good tip, I'll check out Rugby...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo