Belts to go with our jackets

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by 58panheadfan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. 58panheadfan

58panheadfan Practically Family

Not sure if there is already a matching thread in the outerwear section.
    If so, mods please move this one...

For me, belts are an important part of my outfit and should match my shoes and jackets in color. Of course, that's my own view. As you can see, I like western style studded Belts, real works of art.

I would be happy to see pictures of your own belts / suspenders.

To start with, here are my Ace Belts in different colors and modifications.

Ace Western vintage style studded Belt ltd. 5th anniversary edition
    with some NOS Jewels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ace Western vintage style studded Belt custom made
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ace Western vintage style studded Belt standard no. 110 from some yrs ago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 58panheadfan

Some of my belts I have in current rotation.

The black ones:
    IMG_6239.JPG

(from left to right):
    #1 Hollow's Leather
    #2 Ace Standard
    #3 Ace custom made
    #4 RMC Buco
    #5 VMC custom made by HTC
    IMG_6240.JPG

The brown ones:
    IMG_6237.JPG

(from left to right):
    #1 Isle of Mull
    #2 Hollow's Leather
    #3 Ace custom made ltd.
    #4 Ace custom made
    #5 Vintage Swiss Military custom home made
    #6 Hollow's Leather
    IMG_6238.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

I don't think I could rock any of those western belts, they do look great though. I like this one, VEB leathers CC9B2D8B-D740-4550-87B2-9CF84CA2F851.jpeg

handymike likes this.
  4. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I am not into this style of belt. I don't want a belt to attract a lot of attention. I want it to be plain and do its job. Anything fancy defeats its purpose. A smooth leather belt is best for me, any doodads attached to it will snag on the belt loops, scratch furniture, wear holes in clothes, jab me, break/fall off, and otherwise add to the cost of ownership. Likewise any kind of giant/decroative buckle. I just want function and durability, nothing more.

I like a good, thick one-piece piece of leather with a solid metal buckle. 1.5" is ideal width, and I find that I like a 1/4" thick strap. It's more than enough, very sturdy, will last a lifetime. They take a little bit of wear to break in, but if you wear them every day the break-in period goes by quick.

I own several Bull Belts made by a company in Indiana called Daltech. They're great quality, and inexpensive. I also have a Ranger gun belt from Hank's Belts, which I also like.

5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

I like the classic garrison belt. Brass buckle, vegetable tanned leather. But nice ones are hard to find in Europe. I recently visited the RRL store in Paris and they had a few nice vintage saddle leather garrison belts for sale. Unfortunately very much overpriced

navetsea likes this.
  6. 58panheadfan

I understand these western style belts are not everyone's taste. I wear the belts depending on my mood, sometimes I feel more bling-bling :) I am also fascinated by the craftmanship that goes into such a belt...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Edward likes this.
  7. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Those Ace Western belts are really very intricate, not my style but I appreciate how difficult it must be to make one.

Speaking of western style belts I’d love one of these from Fortela (squarzi) although seem a bit pricey and they always sell out in no time
    40928557-18FF-486C-9BD5-3DF7846CD016.jpeg

8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I only have 3 belts (all started natural), one 20+ years old from my university student days, 1 from last year, and 1 from earlier this year. I park them on my raw jeans permanently, if the belt is too long I secure the end with leather belt clip key hanger thing rather than clipping since I like to preserve the brand's debossed stamp near the tip, since these belts kind of look alike and I bought from local brands most have difficult strange hipster made-up words for brand name after sometime I might forget unless I have a logo to help me.

9. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I will move this to the General Attire section where it will get more interest.

Edward likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Big fan of those jewelled belts - got a couple from SJC x Warpath that I'm going to be wearing in just two more jeans sizes own (hopefully by Christmas). I also like a slim, Western belt - Bogart wore one of those with the embossing and silvertone buckle and tip in The Big Sleep, and it looked veyr cool with his suit.

I also really like the Brando /Strabler Wild One belt. once I have lost a bit more weight and fin a bit more time, I may well pick up a good, heavy plain black belt and take the drill to it to make my own. I did buy one of the Rumble 59 ones, but after nine months of heavy, daily wear the bonded leather has started to break around the holes I wear it on. Coul buy a nice one for around £100, but I'd rather buy an equally nice plain black belt for less than half that and get out the drill, I think.

11. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I think Cushman's belt is one of the best value for money from Japan. I have all three colour of their plain garrison belts.
    http://www.cushman.jp/new-cart/sear...0&page=2&seek=true&bunrui=1&syobunrui=ブーツ・グッズ
    Almost bought one of their jeweled buckles too.
    http://www.cushman.jp/new-cart/sear...0&page=2&seek=true&bunrui=1&syobunrui=ブーツ・グッズ
    The only issue is the Japanese don't make large size.
    http://www.cushman.jp/new-cart/sear...0&page=1&seek=true&bunrui=1&syobunrui=ブーツ・グッズ

12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ohh, that take on the Brando is really nice (even if it is double-pronged, which is common it seems in repops but not, as best as I can make out, technically accurate to the screen. The best one I've seen visually per being screen acurate is probably the BK one, but to be honest even if I did care to deal with them, £250 odds for a belt is just insane).

I long ago gave up on anything for the lower body from Japan - I so rarely see them do anything over a 34" waist. I'm working on getting back down to a 38". I was a 32/34 in my twenties, but I know I'll never be able to be that small again. (Nor am I sure I'd want to be, tbh - I mean, I'm big over the shoulders, I wear a 44,46 or 48 in a jacket depending on cut). I've actually been looking at some nice garrison type belts on Etsy, Amish made, at about half the price of most TFL-type suppliers. I might well treat myself to a brown one of those and a long length of leather thong as an easy ay of making a Brando-inspired belt. Won't be screen accurate - holes are too close together - but as a belt of that general theme for wearing around... When I hit target weight, I'll go at something black with the drill....