Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
I missed everything of the Olympics, but with an unrelated google search, I found this.
Now, if anyone had showed them how to wear that thing.
But there have been worse dress code glitches at the olympics.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...12-Olympics-spectacular-opening-ceremony.html
article-2180038-14406346000005DC-932_964x923_zps3d7e2b7a.jpg

If at least they were wearing berets, but this Ralph Lauren creation is only a beret in shape. As any beret aficionado knows, a beret is made of one piece of knitted wool or cotton, out of one single thread, and is then felted (the wool version of course, not the cotton). These Olympic berets are made of multiple pieces of material and, worst of all, missing the txortena - that identifying little piece of a true beret (even military berets still have the base of the txortena; it's just that the poor things were amputated. No military units appreciate this, apart from a few Chasseurs regiments). Have a look close up of the dreaded thing:

Olympics+++++2112.jpg

And why did Mr Lauren feel a need to change something that was perfect already? There is plenty of historic evidence that a real beret does perfectly well at the Olympics!
Like these pictures show, from the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam:

Olympische+1928+Schermen+deelnemer+in+schermkleding+met+handschoen,+alpinopet+en+verbandje+om+vinger..jpg
Olympische+spelen+1928+Een+aantal+hardlopers+aan+het+trainen.+Tweede+van+rechts+(met+alpinopet)+de+Nederlandse+marathonloper+van+der+Steen.jpg

or this one: Larry James, Lee Evans and Ron Freeman (left to right) on the 400 metres podium at the 1968 Olympic Games

LEE+EVANS,+LARRY+JAMES,+AND+RONNIE+FREEMAN+ACCESSORIZE+THEIR+MEDALS+WITH+BLACK+PANTHER-SOLIDARITY+BERETS+AT+THE+'68+MEXICO+CITY+OLYMPICS..jpg

Probably the ugliest beret in the world is the "desantnik" beret worn by Soviet/Russian, paratroopers, naval infantry and spetnatz (special forces).

pict2502sh9.jpg

desantnik_offizer_parad.jpg

but I suppose it depends on who's wearing it. ;)

creation_Kseniya_Novikova_Brat_moy_desantnik-f2.jpg

2nu4185.jpg

Daan

Vendor
Probably the ugliest beret in the world is the "desantnik" beret worn by Soviet/Russian, paratroopers, naval infantry and spetnatz (special forces).

And similar to Ralph Lauren's Olympic berets, these Russian affairs are not 'real berets' either, made up from various pieces of felt. The poor quality suits the reputation the Russian Paratroopers (or V.D.V.) made for themselves; beating up anyone not "looking Russian" enough on Paratroopers Day, August 2 is only one example. Have a read of this -pretty mild phrased- warning of the US Embassy in Moscow.

Interestingly, their arch-enemies from Chechnya were, even during the war years in the early to mid 1990's, capable of producing a very wearable beret. I got this "boivik" beret from my friend and body guard Timur, working in Chechnya in 1997.

Chechen+beret.jpg

Last edited:

DAJE

One of the Regulars
OK, this thread has convinced me, I just ordered a South Pacific Black (Mangu) Beret. Thinking about a cotton beret for the warmer weather, but I'll see how I go with this one first.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
OK, this thread has convinced me, I just ordered a South Pacific Black (Mangu) Beret. Thinking about a cotton beret for the warmer weather, but I'll see how I go with this one first.

Oh my, another victim. You might as well order a bunch in one go and save the postage, you will do it anyway.

The SP is a nice one, albeit a bit floppy and fluffy.
Of similar size, but with a denser and thinner wool, is the argentinian Tolosa Tupida. Not as warm as the one above.
Warmer and stiffer is the Super Lujo from Boinas Elosegui.
Those in cotton are great for warmer weather.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch' entrate

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Oh my, another victim. You might as well order a bunch in one go and save the postage, you will do it anyway.

My SP is already ordered and mailed (thanks Daan!) I'll see how the SP beret looks on my head, but I suspect you're right and I'll order a couple more before too long. I'm at nearly the same latitude as Daan, and it's a glorious spring day here in Melbourne, so a cotton beret is an attractive idea. And I might just as well order a more luxurious woollen one for next autumn at the same time... thanks for the advice, Kreissaege.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
LowellGeorge50253_297957392889_5381622_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Being a jazz musician myself Daan, I can only agree with you about danes and swedes having a certain fondness for the hybrid of berets....a little like the Ingmar Bergman style.
A lot of my fellow musicians wears the hybrid beret with pride, and I am about to order one myself, probably the german one, shown on your page 43.
But I have posted a picture of a wonderful guitarist, called Lowell George from the band Little Feat. Unfortunally he is not among us anymore, but he also wore his beret type with pride.
Could you tell me what kind of beret it might be....
From a blurred colour pic it looked like being made of brown velvet or so

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
LowellGeorge50253_297957392889_5381622_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Being a jazz musician myself Daan, I can only agree with you about danes and swedes having a certain fondness for the hybrid of berets....a little like the Ingmar Bergman style.
A lot of my fellow musicians wears the hybrid beret with pride, and I am about to order one myself, probably the german one, shown on your page 43.
But I have posted a picture of a wonderful guitarist, called Lowell George from the band Little Feat. Unfortunally he is not among us anymore, but he also wore his beret type with pride.
Could you tell me what kind of beret it might be....
From a blurred colour pic it looked like being made of brown velvet or so

A quick Google search showed me a few more pictures of Lowell George and his hat and it looks more like a flat cap than a beret. On this first picture, you can see it is made up of (at least) four pieces of material sewn together, while on the second picture you can distinguish quite clearly a peak.

1700321003_1a5e323a38.jpg
lowell-liberty-hall-houston-TX-1973_small.jpg

He made great music, the late Lowell George, but no, he didn't wear a "real" beret.
As for your comment on both Jazz musicians and Scandinavians liking hybrid berets, I've got good news for you: from today I have a new addition to the stock of Argentinean boinas with a military style external headband, specially made for South Pacific Berets: the Boina Tolosa. Large 300mm diameter berets with the txortena (the "wick") still in place.

Tolosa+Ext.Hb.+Green.JPG
TT+Militar+detail.JPG

Perfect for people who like the feel and adjustbility of a military style beret, but prefer the look of Basque beret.

I posted some pics of my great aunt on the Vintage Family Members thread but I noticed that in these two images that she's wearing some sort of beret though it's a bit hard to make out.

ksnda3.jpg

ksnda6.jpg

And here she is with a gent who's also sporting a beret

ksnda8-1.jpg

alsendk

A-List Customer
Thank you For clearing out Lowell`s head gear....wish he could have beena little more careful about himself, but I have seen this coming to many of my fellow collegues into jazz also...the temptations are there, if you want them.

I don`t know really about your suggestion....will it not be too big for a newcomer ? I was thinking more about the german
Baskenmütze Baske Mütze Barett Lederband außen....which is only 26,5 cm in diameter......but again, how much more will it look bigger from 26,5 to 30cm ? do you have an example to illustrate the Argentinean boina Daan ?

anyway i need a measure band now, to find out how big my head are....this is what happens when entering your interresting site Daan :p.
I also remember my four uncles from Jutland always wearing berets too...a common thing to do in the sixties, and I kind of liked their head wear already then.

Will it be expensive having a beret flown over from New Zealand to Denmark ? have no idea.
Allan

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Thank you For clearing out Lowell`s head gear....
I don`t know really about your suggestion....will it not be too big for a newcomer ? do you have an example to illustrate the Argentinean boina Daan ?
Will it be expensive having a beret flown over from New Zealand to Denmark ? have no idea.
Allan

Hi Allan,
This is becoming a bit of private correspondence - better to email me directly with specific questions.
But happy to oblige with yet another self-portrait, showing the boina Tolosa in it's full glory:

Tolosa+D.jpg

Further, I would say a beret can never be too large! Once used to wearing large diameter berets and getting over that initial stage fright, you wouldn't want anything else - believe me. Anyway, the boina Tolosa is only 300mm diameter, making it a nice middle-of-the-road beret in size.

As for postage for a beret to Denmark (or practically any destination outside New Zealand), it's usually between $10.00 and $12.00.

alsendk

A-List Customer
horsenskongrescenterxiaojianallan.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you Daan for showing me the Boina Tolosa in it`s full glory:)
You have a face and an appearance that suit these big berets very nicely.
I am slightly more introvert as a person, and to me these Boina`s are almost as big as my umbrella - so I will choose - for a start a german Baskenmütze 26,5 cm from your sales page. You have some wonderful berets there that will make me feel less exposed.....later on, when gaining self confidence, I will go for the big one Daan.
My head measures 56 cm, and your german beret starts by 57cm....this should not become a problem I guess.
Thanks for your help. Pictures will follow when der Baskenmütze arrives.
Allan

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
I have been asked many times what the world's best beret would be and I always answered diplomatically -and truthfully- that there is no such thing as "one best beret". I may have to retrace my steps...

2012-10-05+14.13.03.jpg

Please meet the world's best (and yes, most expensive) headband-less beret: the special edition Elósegui 150 Años Edición Limitada!

2012-10-05+14.12.15.jpg

These berets were made in a small quantity to celebrate Boinas Elósegui's 150th birthday in 2008. Made of hand selected 100% Australian merino wool, waterproofed by Telflon® treatment. ecologically moth-proofed with MITTIN FF® and thermo-regulated with smart PCM Outlast® lining, allowing adaptation to temperature: warm in winter, cool in the summer.

2012-10-05+14.12.37.jpg

Handmade by Spain's oldest and only surviving traditional beret manufacturer in 300mm diameter. These berets come in a cardboard gift-box have a beautiful '150 Years Anniversary' label fitted and a cardboard information sheet included. Available in a limited number only.

2012-10-05+14.11.17.jpg
2012-10-05%2014.10.27.jpg.opt232x230o0,0s232x230.jpg

For me, it will mean serious daily competition between my beloved Tarte and this beret...

Daan

Vendor
Although Basques still argue over the "invention" of the beret with the Béarnais, there is no doubt that the beret comes from the Béarn; close to the (French) Basque Country, but not quite.
It is interesting how often ethnic groups identify with a certain piece of clothing, a custom, a tool, etc. and it is easy to end up in a discussion that is based more on emotions and assumptions than on facts. On the other hand, there are also ethnicities who happily adopt to the custom or fashion of another group.
A good example are the Hmong people of Vietnam. The Hmong people came through China from Mongolia to Vietnam. They worked together and identified with the French colonizer, most visibly by wearing berets. It didn't make them popular among other Vietnamese. A rich narrative history of the worldwide community of Hmong people, exploring their cultural practices, war and refugee camp experiences, and struggles and triumphs as citizens of new countries can be found in Paul Hillmers book A People's History of the Hmong.

40955_1451256564866_1336803597_31180021_2132979_n.jpg
Vietnam+more.jpg

Another ethnic group that took to wearing berets, or boinas, are the Aonikenk, Native Americans of Southern Patagonia. The berets, brought into Argentina and Chile by the many Basques, were easily adopted.

Aoinekenk-Mestizo.jpg

Aonikenk con boina, 1950's, Patagonia

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Got bored and googled a bit.
In the military (Chasseur Alpin) the way to wear the beret has changed through the times.

About 1905, with an upward kink at the forehead
http://www.alpins.fr/chasseurs_alpins.html
beret1905.jpg

Somewhere in the fifties, almost vertical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSydt3wyO5c&feature=related
beret1950s.jpg

Today, more or less as you like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daxfYZeXBhA
beret2000something.jpg

And look how they get their tarte and how it will be tweaked to look good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfL7Qz8JSk

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
How on earth do they manage to keep their berets in place in the middle picture ?
and good to see DeGaulle again......a tall man.
Read his biography 3 month ago...very interesting reading in fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn