Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
Bérets in the rough. I met this gentleman last night while at a Vietnamese restaurant. He was on one side of me and an older woman also wearing a béret was on the other side. This guy was wearing a wool military styled béret. He told me he much prefers a béret to wearing a baseball cap, but complained it's hard to find a quality béret. I told him about South Pacific Bérets and The Béret Project. We had a good chat about our lives here in Boston. He was a few years older than me but remembered (and frequented) many of the same places in town during the 1970's. Oh, and he had an amazingly strong Boston accent. LOL View attachment 104444
One of the things I like so much about wearing a beret are the unexpected encounters with fellow boineros. Usually, it's just a friendly nod or a smile when passing a 'colleague' somewhere in the wild, but quite often this actually evolves in a chat and occasionally a chat over a coffee or a beer. Try that by wearing a ballcap...
Of course, I'm in a bit of a unique position, selling and writing about berets, but I continue to be amazed by the contacts and often friendships I establish through berets. Many are from the other side of the world, but that hasn't stopped me from meeting some in real life, here in NZ or when I went overseas.
upload_2018-1-28_12-1-16.png
upload_2018-1-28_12-1-24.png

And to make sure you always have a beret at the ready, this week on Special 2 great berets for 1 price: the custom made Boinas Clásica, a
remake of the original Spanish berets from the 1930's. Well sized plateaus in khaki and brown; soft, shapeable merino wool berets in easy to wear one-size models, fitted with the original vintage Boinas Elósegui label.
upload_2018-1-28_12-2-15.png
upload_2018-1-28_12-2-24.png

Daan

Vendor
Just learned that a small batch of foulards Auloronesa in the new colour "curcuma" are on their way to Wellington!
upload_2018-1-30_17-10-12.png
upload_2018-1-30_17-10-28.png

The name comes from the Sanskrit kuṅkuma, referring to turmeric. Turmeric has been used in India since ancient times as a substitute for saffron and other yellowish pigments and dyes. The colour is very hard to get right, but when successfully dyed, berets in curcuma are simply stunning. For the time being I have been able to order only a small number in 9.5 and 10p.

Available by mid-February. To be continued...

ErikFid

New in Town
Just learned that a small batch of foulards Auloronesa in the new colour "curcuma" are on their way to Wellington!
View attachment 104794 View attachment 104795
The name comes from the Sanskrit kuṅkuma, referring to turmeric. Turmeric has been used in India since ancient times as a substitute for saffron and other yellowish pigments and dyes. The colour is very hard to get right, but when successfully dyed, berets in curcuma are simply stunning. For the time being I have been able to order only a small number in 9.5 and 10p.

Available by mid-February. To be continued...
Whoa! Wht a beautiful colour! Please set one aside for me!

Daan

Vendor
What fascinates me again and again when researching the old, vanished beret factories, is how (almost) complete their disappearance is. Despite the internet, access online to massive libraries, historical and statistic services, most seems to be simply gone forever.
upload_2018-2-2_20-22-54.png
upload_2018-2-2_20-23-3.png

Most traces I actually pick up by paging through old picture books and auction sites that offer vintage postcards and invoices for sale (pictures above). Even when in the very birthplace of the beret, Oloron Sainte Marie in the French Béarn, it is difficult to find traces of the many beret factories that were once the main employers of the town.
upload_2018-2-2_20-19-25.png

Apart from the two manufacturers in operation,
Laulhère and Boneteria Auloronesa, I only found the old Beighau factory in it's original state (which shut it's doors in 1993).
All that's left of the once famous Barraban factory is the steel frame/covered walkway at a car-park, occupying the site where the factory once stood (photo below, left). The beautiful 'Médiathèque' sits at the exact site where once multiple small beret manufacturers worked, at the confluence of the two rivers (hydro power): Gaves d'Aspe and Gave d'Ossau (photo below, right).
upload_2018-2-2_20-32-13.png
upload_2018-2-2_20-42-31.png

In close-by Nay were also numerous beret manufacturers located. Blancq-Olibet being the oldest and longest in operation (until taken over by Laulhère four years ago), although the last years the factory was based in Baudreix.
upload_2018-2-2_20-52-8.png
upload_2018-2-2_20-52-23.png

The old factory building now houses the Musée du Béret (above, left). The old Fossat factory of Nay has disappeared completely in every respect, it seems (above, right).
upload_2018-2-2_20-59-21.png

But beret factories were not limited to Béarn; there were factories in the French Basque Country (Bayonne), in the Tarn district, the Vosges, in Paris and even as far north as Picardie and the Marne. A major player during the first half of last century was the factory of Henri Veyrier in Bruyères (above).
Below what is left of the factory in
Arthez-d'Asson (Occitan: Artés d'Asson), a small village in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region of south-western France, some 35 km south-east of Oloron-Sainte-Marie.
20161001-IMG_2818-arthez-d-asson-patrimoine-usine-beret.jpg
20161001-IMG_2820-arthez-d-asson-patrimoine-usine-beret.jpg

Still much to (re)discover...

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
What fascinates me again and again when researching the old, vanished beret factories, is how (almost) complete their disappearance is. Despite the internet, access online to massive libraries, historical and statistic services, most seems to be simply gone forever.
View attachment 105142 View attachment 105143
Most traces I actually pick up by paging through old picture books and auction sites that offer vintage postcards and invoices for sale (pictures above). Even when in the very birthplace of the beret, Oloron Sainte Marie in the French Béarn, it is difficult to find traces of the many beret factories that were once the main employers of the town.
View attachment 105141
Laulhère and Boneteria Auloronesa, I only found the old Beighau factory in it's original state (which shut it's doors in 1993).
All that's left of the once famous Barraban factory is the steel frame/covered walkway at a car-park, occupying the site where the factory once stood (photo below, left). The beautiful 'Médiathèque' sits at the exact site where once multiple small beret manufacturers worked, at the confluence of the two rivers (hydro power): Gaves d'Aspe and Gave d'Ossau (photo below, right).
View attachment 105144 View attachment 105145
In close-by Nay were also numerous beret manufacturers located. Blancq-Olibet being the oldest and longest in operation (until taken over by Laulhère four years ago), although the last years the factory was based in Baudreix.
View attachment 105148 View attachment 105149
The old factory building now houses the Musée du Béret (above, left). The old Fossat factory of Nay has disappeared completely in every respect, it seems (above, right).
View attachment 105151
But beret factories were not limited to Béarn; there were factories in the French Basque Country (Bayonne), in the Tarn district, the Vosges, in Paris and even as far north as Picardie and the Marne. A major player during the first half of last century was the factory of Henri Veyrier in Bruyères (above).
Arthez-d'Asson (Occitan: Artés d'Asson), a small village in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region of south-western France, some 35 km south-east of Oloron-Sainte-Marie.

Great research Daan. Thank you!

RJR

View attachment 105142 View attachment 105143
View attachment 105141
View attachment 105144 View attachment 105145
View attachment 105148 View attachment 105149
View attachment 105151

Very interesting.

Daan

Vendor
Here in the Northeast US one has to be a bit inventive to wear one's béret when it's -11C . I have a bunch of inexpensive neck/head bands I wear around my ears with my béret. It's a pretty warm setup. :)
View attachment 105230
Good thinking! Your neck-bands are actually quite similar to the Catalan Bragatina; a fusion of a traditional Catalan barretina and a scarf. I stocked these for years, selling a few a year really, but with all the political excitement recently in Catalonia, these have suddenly become very popular. I wear mine around the neck when on the motorbike, but you can actually wear them over the head - under the helmet as well. Comes in a pretty giftbox too...
BragaOniricat.jpg
upload_2018-2-4_14-1-49.png
upload_2018-2-4_14-2-25.png

As for the weekly SPECIAL: Czech Classics in heather colours. Heather refers to interwoven yarns of mixed colors producing flecks of an alternate color. Heather yarn is more expensive than other yarn; it is also referred to as a frosting or winter colour.
27545394_1771410299576969_1681114139967985635_n.png

The Classic is a beret that is classic Basque in its looks, 29cm in diameter, very comfortable to wear, fitted with the traditional Czech tartan lining and at a competitive price. These berets are custom made for South Pacific Berets and not available anywhere else.
upload_2018-2-4_13-59-9.png
upload_2018-2-4_13-59-16.png

One week only, or as long as stock lasts, from $39.50 @ $30.00!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-4_14-2-3.png
    upload_2018-2-4_14-2-3.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 107

Daan

Vendor
Military (style) berets have always formed a very small portion of the stock at South Pacific Berets, the emphasis being on "Real Basques" with cabillou and the headband inside (not visible). Similarly, not many customers showed great interest in military style berets - I stocked the military berets by UČA, the "hybrid" Czech Service Stars and Franco-German Baskenmütze, but that was it (apart from the few Basques that are worn in the military, like the Chasseurs Alpins and Chasseurs Ardennais).
upload_2018-2-6_14-47-43.png
upload_2018-2-6_14-47-53.png
upload_2018-2-6_14-48-24.png

However, over the last few months I notice a real increase in the sale of military style berets. One obvious reason is the use of these berets in popular culture: Madonna, Beyoncé, Rihanna, etc.
upload_2018-2-6_14-58-58.png
upload_2018-2-6_14-59-7.png
upload_2018-2-6_14-59-14.png

When surfing the web, always searching for more beret-related material, it is amazing how many photos of fashion models come up lately, all wearing a military style beret.
upload_2018-2-6_15-10-0.png
upload_2018-2-6_15-10-10.png

But also, Laulhère is big on promoting these berets - and very successfully so. Laulhère has now an extensive range of military style berets and puts much effort in their promotion, causing a revival of beret wearing within France, but interestingly also to Japan and China.
upload_2018-2-6_15-18-18.png
upload_2018-2-6_15-18-26.png

Beautifully made berets, but they come at a price. The most basic model is the Orion @ 95,00 € ($117.00). For that reason, I won't be stocking these berets, but can highly recommend all our models listed above (at only a fraction of the Laulhère price).

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
First day in a while the temperature dropped below 30c.
Good excuse (If needed) to wear my B A bordeaux 11p.
View attachment 106020

Hi Nico, that's a great looking BA. It looks like it provides you with some nice shade. Today in Massachusetts we had an unusually warm winter day at 10C. I wore my BA French Khaki 10.5P :)

upload_2018-2-10_22-42-45.png

Nico

One of the Regulars
Hi Nico, that's a great looking BA. It looks like it provides you with some nice shade. Today in Massachusetts we had an unusually warm winter day at 10C. I wore my BA French Khaki 10.5P :)

View attachment 106162

Looking good there bloke.
I usually break out the 11p in cold wet weather however it does keep the sun off ones face and ears. I really should invest in a cotton beret.

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
Looking good there bloke.
I usually break out the 11p in cold wet weather, however, it does keep the sun off ones face and ears. I really should invest in a cotton beret.
I do need an 11p for the colder weather here... probably a Marine colored BA :) I do have an Espinosa cotton béret which I look forward in using in the hot weather. There are some other nice cotton ones on Daan's site.

Daan

Vendor
Usually, my orders from France and Spain arrive weeks (or months) after expectation, so very happy to unexpectedly find the courier at my door with some large boxes from Oloron Sainte Marie.
upload_2018-2-12_13-4-7.png
upload_2018-2-12_13-4-14.png

Many trusted Laulhère models are now well stocked again, but also a great extension of the Béret Héritage range.
The Béret Héritage pays tribute to it's origins: Oloron Sainte Marie is the industrial birthplace of the beret and the woven beret label depicts the cow and cross that are the coat of arms of the town; the historic bridge across the Gave that can be seen from Laulhère's waterfront factory; the Pic du Midi (which can be seen from Oloron Sainte Marie on a clear day) and the sheep is a Merino, the noble race of sheep whose fine wool is used for the making of berets.
upload_2018-2-12_13-6-3.png
upload_2018-2-12_13-7-44.png
upload_2018-2-12_13-20-37.png

New colours in the range are Santal (a brownish, root colour), "Bubblegum" (a very pink beret) and a deep violet. All Bérets Héritage come in their own display giftbox.
upload_2018-2-12_13-13-7.png
upload_2018-2-12_13-14-39.png

The children's berets Le Petit Basque are now available in a range of 4 colours and also come in a Laulhère gift-box.
And last, the heavy duty 200 grams navy "tarte" of the Chasseurs Alpins is back in sizes 57-62!
upload_2018-2-12_13-18-42.png
upload_2018-2-12_13-19-41.png

Nico

One of the Regulars
I do need an 11p for the colder weather here... probably a Marine colored BA :) I do have an Espinosa cotton béret which I look forward in using in the hot weather. There are some other nice cotton ones on Daan's site.

I like the Marine BA, gorgeous dark blue. Just be mindful it appeares almost black in low light levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24