Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
As I put on my Chyldish beret I looked at the label and realized how cool the color contrasts are.
View attachment 174749
You are so right!
upload_2019-6-28_13-8-45.png

Yes, there is something about the colours that Billy uses, and the combinations, that blow me away, time and again.

upload_2019-6-28_13-3-25.png
upload_2019-6-28_13-3-55.png

You can find this in many of his paintings (typically depicting berets too).
upload_2019-6-28_13-4-15.png

For those interested in a Chyldish Fear’ Naught woven beret label, happy to include one with any Fear’ Naught beret order – the berets being limited editions, there are more labels than actual berets made (just let me know when you place your order).
upload_2019-6-28_13-7-21.png
upload_2019-6-28_13-7-28.png

An affordable way to own a real Childish piece of art!
upload_2019-6-28_13-4-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-28_13-3-34.png
    upload_2019-6-28_13-3-34.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 436

Daan

Vendor
Nice to see how many boineros/as took on the offer of an added Chyldish Fear' Naught label - I like the confirmation that many beret wearers share my passion and admiration for the work of Billy Childish.
upload_2019-7-2_15-25-14.png
upload_2019-7-2_15-25-40.png
upload_2019-7-2_15-25-26.png

Although I aim to keep posts here at TFL principally informative (instead of commercial), I do often see some extra sales after a post published here.
Not so for the Czech Classics, which have lacked in attention for far too long but somehow have become the number 1 bestseller at the moment.
The Czech Classics is a line of berets that are specifically and exclusively made for South Pacific Berets by long time manufacturer FEZCO/TONAK in Nový Jičín, in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains.
upload_2019-7-2_15-23-38.png
upload_2019-7-2_15-23-44.png

The aim was to develop a beret that is classic in its looks, very comfortable to wear, fitted with the traditional Czech tartan lining and mostly: at a very competitive price. The result is a line of 29cm plateau berets in black and eight colours that meet these parameters perfectly. New to the line of Czech Classics are the 'rust', 'mustard' and 'midnight blue' models in a stunningly heather pure-wool melange @ $39.50.
upload_2019-7-2_15-22-18.png
upload_2019-7-2_15-22-25.png

Following these parameters, the next in line is the Czech Classic - Super Luxury,
a generously sized beret in ultra-soft, densely felted wool fitted with the traditional tartan lining. These grand berets are also made exclusively for South Pacific Berets and available three colours: Vermillion (Red), Marbled Charcoal and Roskam-Ox @ $48.50.
upload_2019-7-2_15-28-15.png

Tchoupi

New in Town
Nice to see how many boineros/as took on the offer of an added Chyldish Fear' Naught label - I like the confirmation that many beret wearers share my passion and admiration for the work of Billy Childish.
View attachment 175341 View attachment 175343 View attachment 175342
Although I aim to keep posts here at TFL principally informative (instead of commercial), I do often see some extra sales after a post published here.
Not so for the Czech Classics, which have lacked in attention for far too long but somehow have become the number 1 bestseller at the moment.
The Czech Classics is a line of berets that are specifically and exclusively made for South Pacific Berets by long time manufacturer FEZCO/TONAK in Nový Jičín, in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains.
View attachment 175339 View attachment 175340
The aim was to develop a beret that is classic in its looks, very comfortable to wear, fitted with the traditional Czech tartan lining and mostly: at a very competitive price. The result is a line of 29cm plateau berets in black and eight colours that meet these parameters perfectly. New to the line of Czech Classics are the 'rust', 'mustard' and 'midnight blue' models in a stunningly heather pure-wool melange @ $39.50.
View attachment 175337 View attachment 175338
Following these parameters, the next in line is the Czech Classic - Super Luxury,
a generously sized beret in ultra-soft, densely felted wool fitted with the traditional tartan lining. These grand berets are also made exclusively for South Pacific Berets and available three colours: Vermillion (Red), Marbled Charcoal and Roskam-Ox @ $48.50.
View attachment 175344

They look like fine berets. Please tell me how do the Czech classics super luxury compare in density to other comparible berets you sell?

Daan

Vendor
They look like fine berets. Please tell me how do the Czech classics super luxury compare in density to other comparible berets you sell?
Different (to say it simply in one word)!
When developing these berets, I was after the density and weight of berets like the Spanish Basque Super Lujo, but without the stiffness and need to be broken in of these berets. The boinas Super Lujo certainly belong to the very best berets available in my mind, but these are also berets that need some work before fitting comfortably - some boineros appreciate that, others find it a hassle having to break the beret in, not getting "instant comfort".
Another concern was price - I wanted to create a beret that is of high quality, but at a more affordable price than some of the more top-of-the-range berets.
upload_2019-7-5_9-29-42.png
upload_2019-7-5_9-29-49.png

So, what the Classic Super Luxury offers is comfort; a very pleasant soft touch and feel and a comfy fit from the moment you put it on your head.
Of course, I speak in the "I form", but TONAK-FEZCO, with over a 100 years of experience in beret manufacturing, were instrumental in creating this new model.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Philipe, you and yer fancy berets!
:p:D

I will get an M.B. some day. Then I'll know for myself how nice they are. :)
hey they made good trust me , the quality fit and wear are unmatched, and Sara is the best she is too cool, Denis made a smart move leaving it to her, my goodness have you seen what that wonderful woman did to the business my goodness she is a self made woman, her shop is awesome , i am so happy for her,

Tchoupi

New in Town
hey they made good trust me , the quality fit and wear are unmatched, and Sara is the best she is too cool, Denis made a smart move leaving it to her, my goodness have you seen what that wonderful woman did to the business my goodness she is a self made woman, her shop is awesome , i am so happy for her,
My B.A. (Made by Denis) is my go to béret, I wear it all the time when it is not too hot, and sometimes when it is too hot... I have not yet been to the new shop, but it is on my list of things to do!

Tchoupi

New in Town
Different (to say it simply in one word)!
When developing these berets, I was after the density and weight of berets like the Spanish Basque Super Lujo, but without the stiffness and need to be broken in of these berets. The boinas Super Lujo certainly belong to the very best berets available in my mind, but these are also berets that need some work before fitting comfortably - some boineros appreciate that, others find it a hassle having to break the beret in, not getting "instant comfort".
Another concern was price - I wanted to create a beret that is of high quality, but at a more affordable price than some of the more top-of-the-range berets.
View attachment 175664 View attachment 175665
So, what the Classic Super Luxury offers is comfort; a very pleasant soft touch and feel and a comfy fit from the moment you put it on your head.
Of course, I speak in the "I form", but TONAK-FEZCO, with over a 100 years of experience in beret manufacturing, were instrumental in creating this new model.
Thanks Daan, Boinas Elosegui bérets certainly are stiff, I get what you mean. But when I was in very heavy rain storm, I was glad of it. Practically waterproof. A very thick béret and not for everyone.

Daan

Vendor
This weekly special are berets in Graphite, Charcoal & Grey; not “just” another colour, but in my opinion one that really stands out from other shades and colours in berets.
upload_2019-7-14_15-26-51.png
upload_2019-7-14_15-27-2.png
upload_2019-7-14_15-27-9.png

There is something about grey berets that sets them apart from any other colour. Grey shades are unobtrusive, while still significantly different from the classic black and navy Basque berets - gentle and stylish, cooler in the warm sun; shades of colour that stand at the very origin of the beret (when berets were made of natural un-dyed grey and brown wool).
View attachment 176833
upload_2019-7-14_15-35-46.png

In 1950’s France and Italy, it was the middle classes who chose to differentiate from the workers (black and navy) and the clergy (black), but that is a distinction of the past.
The grey beret and bonnet has always been part of Scottish fashion.

A personal favourite is the two-tone Exposición Edición Limitada Paso-Doble, a very special limited edition (and only a few pieces left in stock).
upload_2019-7-14_15-24-34.png
upload_2019-7-14_15-24-41.png

These bi-color berets were handmade by Boinas Elosegui of the finest Australian virgin merino wool, available in four colour schemeswith grey shades. A most elegant luxurious txapela and a guaranteed head turner.

upload_2019-7-14_15-28-28.png
upload_2019-7-14_15-28-35.png
upload_2019-7-14_15-28-43.png

Now, for one week only, a fine selection of grey-shade berets, in ECO, cotton and wool models, in a large variety of diameters and densities, with an up to 35% discount (as long as stock lasts).

Edward

Bartender
Although freezing cold here in Wellington at present, the weather pages in my Dutch newspaper and the increasing sales of cotton berets tell me that life is much better, or at least warmer, in the northern hemisphere of this planet. Cotton is the way to go then!

It's something I'm certainly considering as an addition to my Summer-cap collection. I've really come to love a good beret ion the last couple of years, especially having had the great good fortune to have been on anorganised tour of the Laulhere factory in 2017 (I was in Oleron for a wedding, and the groom organised the visit for the guests).

France’s oldest beret manufacturer Laulhère and young manufacturer Le Béret Français have both taken a more contemporary look at the cotton beret; Laulhère leading in high fashion and Le Béret Français in the development of super-light, easy to wear and eco-friendly berets of recycled cotton and other materials.

Interestin,g I thought Laulhere were the last manufacturer left in France - how long have these new guys been around?

The grey beret and bonnet has always been part of Scottish fashion.

Did the Scottish beret arise out of trade/cultural links with France - the Auld Alliance - originally? The grey-blue beret certainly became emblematic of the Jacobite cause as a later stage.

Daan

Vendor
Interestin,g I thought Laulhere were the last manufacturer left in France - how long have these new guys been around?
Did the Scottish beret arise out of trade/cultural links with France - the Auld Alliance - originally? The grey-blue beret certainly became emblematic of the Jacobite cause as a later stage.
Laulhère (established in 1840) is the last of the historic French beret manufacturers that is still alive, after first Beighau had to close shop (1996) and then (France's oldest beret manufacturer) Blancq-Olibet (in 2014).
upload_2019-7-24_15-47-7.png
upload_2019-7-24_15-48-14.png

upload_2019-7-24_15-48-32.png
upload_2019-7-24_15-54-15.png

The "new guys" are both companies that started from a strong sense that beret manufacturing should continue in France.
Le Béret Français was originally set up in the castle of Làas in Béarn (and recently moved to Bayonne in the French Basque Country) by two former employees of Laulhère - their mission to make a large variety of true French berets that are superior in quality and can compete with the cheap imports from Asia (mission accomplished!).
Boneteria Auloronesa was also set up by a former Laulhère employee: monsieur Denis Guédon, the former technical director of the company, in 2011. He not only wanted to ensure that berets would continue to be made in France, but specifically in Béarn, the birthplace of the beret. His company produced its first berets in 2011, but produced in a way not seen for over a century: proper handwork, the finest quality merino wool and the trademark 'liguette' (an internal drawstring) that only Boneteria Auloronesa is able to do.
upload_2019-7-24_15-44-54.png

As for the Scottish bonnet and its links to France: it is believed that it was the Basque whalers who brought the beret (or txapela) to Scotland, on their way to their hunting grounds of the coast of Newfoundland.
upload_2019-7-24_15-59-27.png
upload_2019-7-24_15-59-54.png

The whalers, coming from the (French and Spanish) Basque coast would take in supplies in Scotland and have likely brought the beret there too. It is a theory often disputed (by Scotsmen), but is most accepted by historians.
upload_2019-7-24_16-3-51.png
upload_2019-7-24_16-3-58.png

Historic Scottish bonnets often show the cabillou in place (from times before it was replaced by the tourie (or "pompom").
A small number of these Scottish "berets" are now on clearance sale, at $22.00 only.

Edward

Bartender
Laulhère (established in 1840) is the last of the historic French beret manufacturers that is still alive, after first Beighau had to close shop (1996) and then (France's oldest beret manufacturer) Blancq-Olibet (in 2014).

Ah! Great to see new companies coming forward to keep these traditions alive. One of the things I loved about visiting Oleron was how folks round there really did still wear the beret as a regular cap; it's not just one for the 'national costume' events, or tourists. In a way, it reminded me of the paddy fields outside Guilin, China, where workers still wear the traditional, conical straw hats.

As for the Scottish bonnet and its links to France: it is believed that it was the Basque whalers who brought the beret (or txapela) to Scotland, on their way to their hunting grounds of the coast of Newfoundland.
View attachment 177946 View attachment 177947
The whalers, coming from the (French and Spanish) Basque coast would take in supplies in Scotland and have likely brought the beret there too. It is a theory often disputed (by Scotsmen), but is most accepted by historians.
View attachment 177948 View attachment 177949
Historic Scottish bonnets often show the cabillou in place (from times before it was replaced by the tourie (or "pompom").
A small number of these Scottish "berets" are now on clearance sale, at $22.00 only.

Thanks, it certainly makes sense. Maybe next time I wear my kilt casually I might try combining it with my Laulhere beret! :)

[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto