Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Edward

Bartender
Sadly, I have to concede: a Reality Shield does not protect against COVID-19 (although, I'd like to point out that it took the virus a long time to get me...).
View attachment 444114
It struck with a vengeance though; rarely have I felt so miserable in my life... Hence, no updates on the website and a very late weekly SPECIAL (which now really means a "Weekend Special").
View attachment 444115 View attachment 444116 View attachment 444117
But, to celebrate my return to the realm of the living, the Flamingo Naturel Series sell at a 27.5% discount;
a range of custom-made, top-quality berets in natural, undyed AAA-grade Australian merino wool.
Ideal wool berets in cold and warm weather.
View attachment 444118 View attachment 444119 View attachment 444120
The manufacturing process involves extended rinsing in the blessed volcanic groundwaters of Mount Aso and brushing for an ultrasoft, pleasant to the touch feel.
Available with a size adjustable headband in a 28cm and 30cm model, as well as a Universel one-size model in 30cm.

Even this latest, milder variation of Covid can be rough; glad to hear you've shaken it.

Ugly Kid Joe

New in Town
But, with all respect, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a range of small berets to your liking.
The first that comes to mind is the Czech, formerly Czechoslovak, Radiovka, a beret that hasn't changed since it's inception some 70 years ago and one of the smallest diameter berets to be found...

Thanks a lot, Daan!

Definitely should take a look at the Radiovkas as they seem to be the ideal form of the beret I look for.

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
The annual Papa Hemingway Look A Like contest has been held at Sloppy Joe's Bar in Key Largo, Florida.
All the contestants seem to be sporting a grey beard, a red beret and a red bandana and a white outfit in

reference to the Pamplona bull run.
Where do all of those red berets come from?
Screenshot 2022-08-14 4.14.02 PM.png

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
The source of all those red berets is still a mystery to me,
probably the same place as the red bandanas and the XXL white shirts.
As referenced in a prior post I am wearing the Native World possom beret.,
whice is the lightest most stretchable beret I have worn.
But now it occurs to me it is three things in one.
It is of course first a beret,
but it can be fully unfolded to cover your ears like a ski cap.
The edge can also be folded up to become a watch cap.
You can transform from beret to ear covering ski cap to watch cap and
back to beret with how the edge is folded or unfolded.
Just wanted to point that out.

Leyomi

New in Town
The red beret is part of a traditional Basque outfit (more precisely from the province of Navarre), very present during the Basque feria (or "Bestak" in Euskara).

It's even a very common outfit outside the Basque territory, I happened to wear it with my father during the feria of my native Gascony.

Last edited:

Leyomi

New in Town
This is my only pic of my first own beret (the ones I wore from childhood through my teenage years belonged to family members) which I have since sadly lost, a laulhere (i'm not too sad, it was REALLY tiny for my big head).

Behind me is the "Cirque de Gavarnie", a really cool place between the region of Bearn and that of Bigorre, in Gascony.

IMG_20220816_032318.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
It is the kind of news item I would make up for my April Fool’s day posts, but no, it’s not 1 April and dead serious – as published in La République of 16 August:

“The Laulhère factory in Oloron Sainte Marie, which has been making berets since 1840, has stopped regular production of the brown beret. From now on, it will only manufacture them on order in batches in sufficient quantity”.

The brown beret is traditionally the festive beret in Béarn. In the Ossau valley, it is traditionally worn by the population during village festivals, such as in Laruns, Béost and Bielle.
1660693034798.jpeg
1660693060273.jpeg

Luckily, boineros are not dependent on Laulhère; the very best French made berets are the Auloronesa and Orthesa Universels and both are available in a beautiful brown.
1660693230501.jpeg
1660693408753.jpeg

For summer wear, Le Béret Français offers the French made Printemps model in earth-brown.
For a few more days, the Grof (Count) models -also in brown- by UČA is on Special at $27.50.
1660693714964.jpeg 1660693625586.jpeg 1660693560643.jpeg

Daan

Vendor
Three months ago, South Pacific Berets had the scoop of introducing the new foulards d'Orthez and from today, the range has expanded with more colours and sizes.
1661214541537.png 1661214559946.png
The universels are the same foulard quality berets as the Auloronesa Universel, all fitted with a liguette to comfortably adjust the size, fitted with a solid cotton lining and the new label proudly stating the heraldic symbols of the City of Orthez.
1661214610446.png 1661214626578.png
The Foulards Universel Orthez are presently available in a limited number of colours in sizes 9.5p (26.5cm), 10.5p (29.5cm) and 12p/Alpin, from $94.50.
1661214671112.png 1661214689552.png
Any questions, please ask.

Daan

Vendor
Faithful followers of The Beret Project have [virtually] known my brother Emile, the Beret Spy, for a good number of years.
It's about time to introduce my (half)brother Frans to the beret community.

Frans is the oldest of us 3 and as dedicated a boinero as the Beret Spy and myself combined.

Despite the almost 20.000 kilometers between us, Aotearoa-Flanders, we remain close as ever and are in touch most days of the week.
Eikel%20Frans%20(2).jpg

Both being hoarders & collectors, much time is spent on admiring each others novelties (these days via zoom and WhatsApp - thanks to covid our physical reunion is long overdue).
Frans%201.jpg

Philosopher, psychotherapist, economist... we have taken different paths, but we continue to amaze ourselves how much we still have in common. Not only berets; fanatic walkers, our love of the outdoors and dogs, books, Bach, meditation and, in the past, pipes...
upload_2021-10-28_10-36-58.png

What we don't share is [his] obsession with fountain pens and [mine] with badges of the French Chasseurs.

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
1662007488101.png

Another scoop for South Pacific Berets: the Bérets Universel Luxe are the luxurious version of the Universel Auloronesa/Orthez models in a 10p (28cm) diameter.
1662007688755.png
1662007827396.png
1662007547672.png
These foulard quality berets are made of the softest French merino wool and fitted with a solid French linen lining (in naturel or black) and the new woven Manufacture de Béret label exclusively for the Luxe models.
1662007888732.png
1662007909164.png
1662007933938.png

Exclusively at South Pacific Berets!
1662008315121.jpeg
1662008182594.jpeg
1662008243641.jpeg

Daan

Vendor
Three nice video's to watch.
The first two showing the full process of making a beret Universel, by Mme Goupy of Manufacture de Bérets:
This one was a French TV7 production, 3 years ago while still located in Oloron Sainte Marie:
The video below is an ABC Australia production, a quarter century old, but very entertaining to watch, containing many little known facts about the beret and their wearers:
For those who missed out on the Merino d'Arles berets earlier this year, I have received the very last made of these incredible berets and presently have 2 pieces of the classic 9.5p, 2 of the standard 10p (with Orthez label) and 1 in 11p in stock (which won't last long).
1662333484602.jpeg 1662333515149.jpeg 1662333549460.jpeg

B.U.H.

New in Town
After a rather long absence, I would like to gather some information, or maybe, estimation, from folks who own both, since a new beret is necessary:

Regarding shrinkage, which do you think will be less affected during the course of a regularly-used beret lifespan, the Béret Foulard Universel or the Elósegui Exposición Año 1858?

I would not force dry either, of course. Thanks to all who chime in.

Edited to add:
Please do not be shy to mention other differences between the two which you consider noteworthy from your experience. Thank you.

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
After a rather long absence, I would like to gather some information, or maybe, estimation, from folks who own both, since a new beret is necessary:

Regarding shrinkage, which do you think will be less affected during the course of a regularly-used beret lifespan, the Béret Foulard Universel or the Elósegui Exposición Año 1858?

Edited to add: Please do not be shy to mention other differences between the two which you consider noteworthy from your experience. Thank you.
First of all: ALL wool berets shrink. However, the quality of the beret makes a huge difference in the level of shrinkage. The Auloronesas (and now Orthesa's) are at the very top of the scales, showing practically no shrinkage. The reason for their (almost) "unshrinkability" is the very specific method of knitting the raw wool thread. Thanks to this, Manufacture de Bérets can fit soft and supple leather headbands, whereas other beret manufacturers have to rely on rigid and relatively thick leather to ensure the size of the beret doesn't diminish over time.
1663031754047.png 1663031814524.png
The Exposición Año 1858 is a close contender on the quality-scale and, due to it's very densely knitted and long-felted fibres, will show very little shrinkage.
1663031549255.png

The berets are quite different though. The Universels are instantly pleasant to wear, comfortable and soft to the touch. The Año 1858 is, again due to it's weight and density, a much stiffer beret that needs stretching and "breaking in" before giving that same level of comfort.
This doesn't mean (at all!) that the Año 1858 is inferior to the Universel, it simply is another type of beret and many boineros have a strong liking for this kind of beret, it's solidness and stiffness.
Another difference between the two is the use of Teflon; whereas Boinas Elósegui add a bath in Teflon to the production process to achieve impermeability, Manufacture de Bérets creates impermeability by it's method of knitting and felting.
Some visitors of this thread have made claims that one of these two is "the Best Beret", I think that both are of excellent quality, but due to it's differences appeal to different wearers.
1663031141634.png 1663031163970.png 1663031182315.png 1663031321176.png
And, if looking to replace or add a beret: presently one free Carpathian Mammoth or Faldina SL with any beret purchase!

B.U.H.

New in Town
Thank you, Daan -- I knew both were high up on the quality scale, but was interested in the specifics and the difference between them, which you answered nicely.

B.U.H.

New in Town
Does anyone please have pictures of the Auloronesa/Orthesa in brown, under daylight conditions?
I would like a brown beret, but on the pictures I have seen it looks very dark and, to my eye, not very attractive. However, I have not seen the beret in the wild, so that might differ considerably.

Fedster

Familiar Face

Edited to add: Please do not be shy to mention other differences between the two which you consider noteworthy from your experience. Thank you.
In my experience (own both), I have seen next to 0 shrinkage in use, inclusive of rain.

Fedster

Familiar Face

Let me add, I find the wool feels quite different in the two. I personally find the Ano 1868 is noticeably smoother against my skin (this is true of all Elosegui berets). Elosegui berets are also massively stiff and take next to a year before getting soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko