Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besame cosmetics

ginny

Familiar Face
new bakelite from besame

I just stumbled across this article (by the way, check out the slide show that shows the making of the lipstick!):

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/oct2006/sb20061003_147058.htm?campaign_id=rss_innovate

"Next spring, Hernandez is introducing a new product line housed in Bakelite, a material first invented in the early 1900s and now highly coveted among vintage and antique jewelry collectors. She spent three months coming up with a mold for a Bakelite lip and eye pencil sharpener in the shape of a hummingbird that can also be worn as a brooch. "I have my own niche," she says. "I make special things. I hope women fall in love with it like I do making it. We're the romantics of the industry.""

Cool!

Shearer

Practically Family
ginny said:
I just stumbled across this article (by the way, check out the slide show that shows the making of the lipstick!):

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/oct2006/sb20061003_147058.htm?campaign_id=rss_innovate

"Next spring, Hernandez is introducing a new product line housed in Bakelite, a material first invented in the early 1900s and now highly coveted among vintage and antique jewelry collectors. She spent three months coming up with a mold for a Bakelite lip and eye pencil sharpener in the shape of a hummingbird that can also be worn as a brooch. "I have my own niche," she says. "I make special things. I hope women fall in love with it like I do making it. We're the romantics of the industry.""

Cool!

How cute! I read on the mailing list or somewhere that she was doing the brooch/sharpener... but in Bakelite? Neato.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Well, I finally gave in and bought a lipstick in Red Velvet and the matching lipliner. I've never had to use lipliner before, but for some reason Besame bleeds a bit with me, but they are too cute to not buy!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The Samples Are Rather Generous

I don't know if anyone has brought this up (forgive me for not reading the entire thread thoroughly! :eek: ), but on the website it says that the samples are enough "for about 3 applications."

I got samples of the lipstick and eyeshadow and it's been almost three weeks and I'm not even HALFWAY finished either sample. Especially the eyeshadow -- there's enough for a couple months (for me anyway!) I've been wearing my samples on an average of 4 times a week. I just don't feel like I need to use a lot because they're so full of colour!

Anyone else finding that the samples are lasting them way longer than "3 applications"??

I'm off to get more ...... ;)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I absolutely agree!

I stopped buying their full sized lipstick and shadows and have been using the samples. They have always been very generous. There was only one time that I ordered a lipstick sample and there was just a tiny little dab, another time a lipstick sample I got was full almost to the top of the container. The only items I buy full sized are the rouge and loose powder.

ginny

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
How cute! I read on the mailing list or somewhere that she was doing the brooch/sharpener... but in Bakelite? Neato.

I think so too! Can't wait!

I received the mascara and my preliminary impression is only so-so. It seems very thick and sticky, and did clump my lashes. I had to work through them quite a bit with a comb to get them separated well. But this could be due to residue from my powder and sunscreen on my lashes. Residue never interfered with my La femme cake mascara, but they are completely different formulas. The second strike was that it started to smear umder my eyes--and I didn't even apply to my lower lashes! Again, this could be due to the creamy concealer I am wearing today (I normally wear a powdery, matte concealer).
Anyway, I'm hoping when I try this again tomorrow, making sure my lashes are clean and my concealer is powdered well, it will give me better results. I've loved everything else from Besame, but maybe this will be the exception! I hope not!

Shearer

Practically Family
ginny said:
I think so too! Can't wait!

I received the mascara and my preliminary impression is only so-so. It seems very thick and sticky, and did clump my lashes. I had to work through them quite a bit with a comb to get them separated well. But this could be due to residue from my powder and sunscreen on my lashes. Residue never interfered with my La femme cake mascara, but they are completely different formulas. The second strike was that it started to smear umder my eyes--and I didn't even apply to my lower lashes! Again, this could be due to the creamy concealer I am wearing today (I normally wear a powdery, matte concealer).
Anyway, I'm hoping when I try this again tomorrow, making sure my lashes are clean and my concealer is powdered well, it will give me better results. I've loved everything else from Besame, but maybe this will be the exception! I hope not!

Thanks for the review of the mascara! ;) Good mascara's always so hard for me to find. I usually end up layering two different cheapies.

olive bleu

One Too Many
i have to say, i like the quality of the lipsticks, but have yet to hit on the right colour for me.I seem to need very dark shades with my colouring. I have tryed the Besame Red and the cherry red, ( and something else which i can't remember because i lost it:( ) has anyone tried the Noir Red?

But, i love the eyeshadow in socialite brown..stays on ALL day!

Shearer

Practically Family
I've tried the Noir Red. I have the box set and Noir Red is the one that gets used the least often because it's so dark. I wear reds everyday and Noir is definitely a nighttime shade for me. It reminds me of Chanel's Vamp which... I'm not sure they make any more, but it's definitely more along the line of a berry, burgundy red.

olive bleu

One Too Many
yeah, I really like colours like that. That sounds like what i am looking for. Maybe I should not be wearing shades like that in the daytime though:D More drama than i probably needlol ,

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I got my samples in the mail today, and when I opened one of the lipsticks, I noticed a huge piece of fuzz sticking out of the top of it. ICK!!! :eek:

I also ordered the powder, but it's not enough for me to do anything with. The samples seem so skimpy! :(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
I also ordered the powder, but it's not enough for me to do anything with. The samples seem so skimpy! :(

i've gotten a ton of use out of the lipstick samples. haven't tried the powder yet because i'll have to dump it all out to get to it and it will only last one use. i don't like the foundation - i know it's very heavily pigmented, but it's just so thick it's hard to get it on evenly and it just looks caked on. i agree that, at least for some of the product samples, the packaging makes them very hard to use.

if you think the samples are small, wait til you see the real products (or so i've heard). i'm sure half of what you're paying for is pretty packaging.

also, with regard to the foundation - i hate the scent. i'm really not ok with putting stuff with added fragrance on my face, and tea rose is one of my least favorite scents anyway. ick!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
oh, speaking of Besame samples... has anyone found any great uses for the sample containers? they're too cute not to keep and reuse!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
If you cleaned them out real well, you could probably use them for contact lenses, but I don't think I'm willing to even try that. Maybe you could even put a pair of small earrings in there like pearls or diamond studs.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Merged threads

All specifically Besame threads were incorporated here.

Note: that does not mean they are not discussed in other threads, just that it the whole thread was specifically about Besame, its now in here.

Have fun!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I got more samples today:

Shimmer Beige Eyeshadow
Peacock Blue Eyeshadow
Cherry Red Lipstick
Besame Red Lipstick

Again, I'm impressed with the amount of eyeshadow I was given and now I have enough Besame eyeshadow samples to last me at least a year. I literally use just a tiny particle of it and it does my whole eyelid.

The lipsticks are a bit akward to use, but I manage. Cherry Red looks dark, but that good. I wanted to try something bit darker than what I usually wear. Besame Red looks perfectly red!! Excited!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I tried the mascara as well, and was not very impressed. Initially I liked it (the plum shade is very nice), but felt it had a strong, unpleasant smell. However, had the mascara not been so clumpy I would have been able to live with the scent (which faded rather quickly.) I took a short nap the first day I tried it, and when I woke up, my lashes were completely stuck together in pointy clumps. Then, when I tried to remove my eye makeup that evening, the mascara would not budge, and turned into a sticky mess that left a residue for several days. So, I would say that this is the first Besame product I wouldn't recommend, though I suspect they will continue working on the formula if it does not receive good reviews.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Oh no! This morning I was trying out my full size tube of Red Velvet for the first time and it was not what I expected at all! It was so dark! I'm thinking that maybe the samples I bought had been incorrectly labeled...I remember being surprised that my Red Velvet sample was so bright and not dark like it remembered it being described.

What should I do?! I can't really return the lipstick since I used it straight out of the tube, and it's not very sell-able anymore either. I guess I could try to see if any of my girlfriends would like it...I'm so mad!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn