Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besides English, What Languages Do You Speak?

Besides English, What Languages Do You Speak?

• Total voters

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think that you've got something there.lol In the Army, though, we used to say that the universal interpreter was the M-16...
I totally agree. It is related to the days when Sam Colt made it so that many men could be equal, unless one of them left home without theirs....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I found a universal language, spoken any place I have ever been so far in my travels around this world, known as "cash". It seems to be understood no matter where you are, or the language of the locals.....
True, but the more language you have, the less cash you'll need.;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Spanish (Chilean accented) Portuguese (Brazilian accent) passable Italian and French, can defend myself in German and a smattering of Slavic languages like Serbo/Croatian, Russian, Polish and Japanese.

Me alegra ver que buena parte de ustedes hablan español.

"I'm happy to see that a good many of you speak Spanish."
...look Ma, no GoogleTranslate!

Even though I took Spanish in school over 30 years ago and haven't really spoke it in years, thanks to the Internet I'm starting to pick it up once again (as well as some other languages). And welcome to the Lounge, Enrique. I think you'll like it very much here. There's plenty of history buffs here (I'm a big military history buff myself :))

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I don't think that we've asked this question before of our Loungers, so here goes...

Besides English (which all of us have to know to a certain degree in order to participate here...), what other languages are you at least somewhat proficient at? (By somewhat proficient, I mean able to say a bit more than just "Where is the restroom?")

For myself, I speak Spanish (particularly Castilian, Cuban, and north-west Mexican dialects). I can understand quite a bit of Italian (which I studied a little in college) and European Portuguese, but am not nearly proficient in either.:( Can speak small amounts of Arabic, Armenian, and Tagalog...
Yes, Norwegian (It's my mother tongue tehee) . I had french in school, so I could hold a small conversation, but I've forgotten it now though.

I'd also like to learn spanish & italian properly though, especially spanish since a good friend of mine (and his family) is chilean (So I'd actually have a chance of speaking it daily).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
"I'm happy to see that a good many of you speak Spanish."
...look Ma, no GoogleTranslate!

Even though I took Spanish in school over 30 years ago and haven't really spoke it in years, thanks to the Internet I'm starting to pick it up once again (as well as some other languages). And welcome to the Lounge, Enrique. I think you'll like it very much here. There's plenty of history buffs here (I'm a big military history buff myself :))

I will second the "hello" to anyone new here.

Like you, I had at one time been not too shabby speaking Spanish. Now I can listen to other's in conversation and make out if they are discussing going to the store to buy some milk, or they are telling each other they dislike me standing there sticking my nose into their business!

Rathdown

Practically Family
School boy German, French, and Spanish, and enough Irish to have once held a position in the Irish Civil Service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran