Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke tailor barely scraping by in New York

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Yes, but if memory serves, they offer MTM rather than bespoke.

They certainly are known for handling a lot of made-to-measure volume. For example, for a long time, Brooks Brothers' MTM suits were made in the Greenfield factory. They also made a lot of suits for the Boardwalk Empire costume department. I guess I assumed they offered bespoke suits as well, but I'm not certain. Looking back at the article, Greenfield is cited as having a $2,000 price point.

Regarding the original article, making a few assumption I would say Peter Frew is doing alright. Case in point: at an average of two suits per-month, with average sales price of $4,000, he is grossing ~$100,000 annually. The article says he "makes" $50k per year, so I will assume that is what he lives on after basic business expense (COGS, SG&A, random overhead, etc.). If that is the case, he has ~50% profit margin. Speaking from experience both as a former manufacturing business owner and as an analyst at a private equity fund, that is quite good (actually it's extraordinary). Unfortunately, I suspect $50k is only what he clears after paying sales commissions and for materials.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw