Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best bad guy

dr greg

One Too Many
OK for me it's Robert Ryan hands down, they don't make villains like him anymore
s_blackrock1.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
best villain

No question: Gert Fröbe as Auric Goldfinger.

"Do you expect me to talk?" - "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." (Talking about great German actors, KAT... ;) You have to hear this in the German dubbed version! Fröbe was dubbed in the English original, and in the German version he dubbed his own part. His English voice is a harmless joke compared to his own.)

froebe,%20gerd.jpg
Goldfinger02.jpg
gert_froebe_goldfinger.jpg

K4%20-%20Goldfinger.JPG
froebe_268.387096774194.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Alrightalright

I'll take that "no question" back. There are other good villains. Mr Lime, Baron Kurtz, Dr Lecter, Rev Powell, Dr Szell, Baby Jane, Count Orlok...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not quite a "bad guy," but it's tough to beat Sydney Greenstreet in "The Maltese Falcon."
And for total creepy, how about John Houston in "Chinatown."
For sophisticated and threatening, how about James Mason in "N by NW."

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
These came to my mind, too, but they don't seem to me to be such villains as the ones I mentioned. To this kind of bad guys I might group Bronson as Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West. Pretty mean.

Anyway, Greenstreet would have made an exquisite villain in a suiting rôle, I'm sure.

Talking about Chinatown, Polanski's quite a creepy thug there, too.

Feraud

Bartender
The following have done at least one or two good "bad guy" roles...
Robery Ryan (your comments are correct dr greg)
Sterling Hayden
Robert Shaw
can I also add George C. Scott? I like his role in The Hustler. He wasn't a "gun slinging" bad guy, but just greedy and selfish enough to make you dislike him.

Hondo

One Too Many
Bad Guy?

Lee Marvin, Robert Mitchum (Cape fear, also Robert De Niro) but Marvin takes the cake in my opinion, The Wild Ones or as Liberty Valance, How about bad guy pals, Lee van Cleef & Strother Martin? excellent :eusa_clap

Hondo

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Good ones Hondo! I totally drew a blank and forgot Mitchum, Marvin and VanCleef! :eusa_clap

I enjoy, like Mitchum, good guy but scared the holy crap out of me when I saw Cape Fear. Van Cleef was great in "The Good, the bad and the Ugly"
Just can't top Lee Marvin, Thanks!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tommy Udo

Don't forget Richard Widmark, in the "Kiss of Death".

Unforgettable in his screen debut (in 1947's 'Kiss of Death') as Tommy Udo, a psychopathic mob hit-man, who giggles gleefully even as he sends a wheelchair-bound old woman, portrayed by Mildred Dunnock, tumbling down a long stairway to her demise.

That is one bad dude.

Magus

Practically Family
Maybe his best Role.

For me the ultimate bad guy comes from my favorite movie The Highlander (a screenplay for it was actually made in 1946). That would be Clancy Brown as Victor Kruger/The Kurgan. Wonderfully acted.

Scene: Kruger rips off the top of a car with one hand Tosses out the old guy in to and looks at his elderly wife with a manical grin. "Mommm!"

Scene: Kruger assembles his sword in a seedy motel and as he finishes the door opens behind him and in walks a hooker. "Hi, I'm Candy" Cut to a view of half of his face with Candy slightly out of focus in the background. He replys in that gravelly voice. "Of course you are..."

Goooood Stuff.

M

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was thinking Robert Shaw in "From Russia With Love," and again in "The Sting." -Though, once again, not so bad there.
How about DeNiro as Capone in "The Untouchables?"
Edward G. Robinson in "Key Largo." Johnny Rocco!

I always loved Patrick McGoohan in "Escape From Alcatraz," something about "The Prisoner" playing a warden.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
How about Strother Martin and the gent who played the head deputy (Mr. Sunglasses) in "Cool Hand Luke"? Quite a bad guy pair.

...Vincent Price in "House of Wax"?

...Bela Lugosi or Gary Oldman in their respective versions of "Dracula"?

...Bruce Dern as Longhair in "The Cowboys", with John Wayne. (Bruce Dern has played some of the best bad guys ever.)

...Andy Robinson as the Scorpio Killer in "Dirty Harry". (Pure evil.)

...or if you want my nomination for the most fun bad guy EVER, Jack Lemmon as Professor Fate in "The Great Race".

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pilgrim said:
...Bruce Dern as Longhair in "The Cowboys", with John Wayne. (Bruce Dern has played some of the best bad guys ever.)

THE best worst guy of all time, I think. Shooting John Wayne in the back killed off his career, didn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy