Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best clothes for...

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
a short and slightly thick waist?

I am 5"4 and have lots of trouble in the waist / tummy area as vintage clothes seem to have been cut for itty bitty waists.
it doesn't help that i've got 36DD s either:eek: as I feel like the "girls" are in the way. my hips are average around 38 (i think)

:)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hi Shopgirl,
are you looking for patterns or retro clothing lines?

I'm also hefty in the chest area and I like v necks and empire lines they just reduce the bulk and make your waist look smaller too.

K

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
shopgirl61 said:
a short and slightly thick waist?

I am 5"4 and have lots of trouble in the waist / tummy area as vintage clothes seem to have been cut for itty bitty waists.
it doesn't help that i've got 36DD s either:eek: as I feel like the "girls" are in the way. my hips are average around 38 (i think)

:)
Are you wearing a girdle? Vintage fashions are designed to be worn over some serious undergarments. My waist cincher takes off 4in from my waist and makes it easier to fit vintage garments!

LadyL

New in Town
kamikat said:
Are you wearing a girdle? Vintage fashions are designed to be worn over some serious undergarments. My waist cincher takes off 4in from my waist and makes it easier to fit vintage garments!

Wow, 4 inches, that's quite a cinch! If you don't mind me asking, is that a proper cincher with steel boning and such? Or more of a lingerie garment with lighter boning? (I'm assuming steel boning for that type of reduction).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LadyL said:
Wow, 4 inches, that's quite a cinch! If you don't mind me asking, is that a proper cincher with steel boning and such? Or more of a lingerie garment with lighter boning? (I'm assuming steel boning for that type of reduction).
I wear the Rago 21 http://www.herroom.com/Rago-21-Waist-Cincher.shtml
rago-rago01-21-gs.jpg

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
kamikat said:

No girdle. I do have some Spanx but have not worn them in awhile.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Hi Shopgirl,
are you looking for patterns or retro clothing lines?

I'm also hefty in the chest area and I like v necks and empire lines they just reduce the bulk and make your waist look smaller too.

K

Hi K ,

I like v necks too however, my absolute favorite is a sweetheart neckline:D
I do not sew although wish I could :( I look on ebay and try to find authentic vintage clothes as well as in consignment stores and the like.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
shopgirl61 said:
No girdle. I do have some Spanx but have not worn them in awhile.
You need a girdle. Spanx are fine for smoothing the lumps and bumps but won't take in your waist enough to fit into vintage garments.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Absolutely right. A proper girdle will make all the difference. (I'm going to scoot this thread over into the Powder Room, where it should get more notice -- and do have a look at the girdle thread there for everything you'll ever want to know on that subject.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot