Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best doggie names ever

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I quite like the idea of getting a Doberman (a breed I love) and naming Gable, as in Clark, because they look like him to me, or a Rottie and calling him Bogart, but my guy seems to think that the >20 lb. range is the weight-range he wants in a dog, no Rottweilers or Dobermans need apply. [huh]

Cagney was short, right? lol

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
My father, a Pennsylvannia farm boy, had a mutt back in the early '30s who liked to snatch chicken off the table. He named the dog after a popular folk-hero of the time, Dillinger.

Like the mobbster John Dillinger?

Grant Fan said:
Oh good idea I am a fan of Banzai that is fun
:eek:fftopic: Not so fun when you're downrange of it...:eek:

MrNewportCustom said:
Isn't that redundant? lol

My neighbor has a few of these and if you happen upon them they think they can take you on . . . until you turn to face them.
In packs, the risk level does go up appreciably, but in single, as long as they can't do the Jack Russell bounce-up for the groin you should be fine. (When in doubt, go for the field goal...) And yeah, it usually is redundant, although I was trying to allow for the possibility of a dog without the 'tude.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
St.Ignatz - Very nice that you know that they are moose dogs. Most people look at us like we are crazy when they ask if it is a shepherd and we say "no, it is a Norwegian Elkhound." I think they pull up the image of an Irish Wolfhound and imagine that we obviously don't know anything about dogs. Then we tell them that they are bred to hunt moose and they look at the small stature of our fellow and they really think we have gone off the deep end! (Especially, here in Colorado where most tourists actually think that our elk are moose anyway!) But they are super fascinating dogs, though admittedly not for everyone. They are a super hard training case. Our fellow is really great and will compete in obedience or rally or some such here in a year or so.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for keeping the breed Mrs. Merl

eye007018.jpg

and this is why we called him Mr. Handsome. More like Houdini Hound or Brat Hound at times. 15 yo at passing.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
This is possibly an odd question, but are your Elkhounds very talky?

That's the only thing about them that weirds me out; they're GORGEOUS but I've had two Akitas, who look similar but are very quiet. But all the Keeshonds and Samoyeds I've met could, no offense, talk the ears off a brass monkey. lol

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
They do have opinion's and are not shy about voicing them. Plus they just like to say hello if you are within 7 or 8 miles of them. Their job is to as a pack Harrie the moose and cut off escape paths all the while barking their heads off to call the hunter and confuse the meal. uh moose.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
St.Ignatz said:
They do have opinion's and are not shy about voicing them. Plus they just like to say hello if you are within 7 or 8 miles of them. Their job is to as a pack Harrie the moose and cut off escape paths all the while barking their heads off to call the hunter and confuse the meal. uh moose.

I heard someone posit Akitas are the ghosts of real spitz dogs, (I forget what he had, though) they look right but they just stare, they don't bark hardly at all.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
My dear one and I are off to look at a little dog at the shelter near us later today. He is a little black Patterdale Terrier who apparently is an absolute sod! I do dearly love terriers and since my old boy died (far too long ago now) I have had an absolute sod shaped hole in my heart. I keep telling myself that he may not be suitable and we may not like him so not to get my hopes up, but I can't help feeling like a little kid at christmas!

His current name is Whizz, but frankly that name has to go! He's a young dog so it shouldn't be too hard to get him used to a new name.

I was thinking Monty for various reasons... Any more suggestions?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24