Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best quotes - Merged thread - Keep it Clean! No dashes! No Symbols!

Big Joe

Familiar Face
What's your favorite quote? Here's one of mine:

"If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life." Humphrey Bogart

Big Joe

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some fine Churchillian quotes...

Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink. --Lady
Astor to Winston Churchill Madam, if you were my wife, I would
drink it. -- His reply

Lady Astor: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!" Winston Churchill:
"Yes, and you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober."

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.

- Winston Churchill

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm

Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war.

It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
"Todays mighty oak is yesterdays nut that held its ground"

"Only by exploring the fringe can we determine to cut it off or sew it into the hem"

"Well behaved women rarely make headlines"

"I'm not really bad, I'm just drawn that way"

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

Chad

Mycroft

One Too Many
Squadron Leader Howard Barnsby RAAF: Look, sir. First, you've got that bloody old fortress on top of that bloody cliff. Then you've got the bloody fortress inside the cliff. You can't even see the bloody cave, let alone the bloody guns. And even if we could, sir, we haven't got a bloody bomb big enough to smash that bloody rock. And that's the bloody truth.
-Guns of Navarone

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem of innocence inside you that makes you want to believe that there still exists a right and wrong, that decency will somehow triumph in the end.
- --Lise Hand, describing Irish journalist Veronica Guerin, who was killed as a result of her investigations of Irish organized crime.

Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
- Samuel Butler (1835-1902)

Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

He can do more for others who has done most with himself.
- -- S.D. Gordon

A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants it. (FIVE)
-Sherlock Holmes

Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last. (REDC)
-Sherlock Holmes

Smashing, absolutly smashing
-James Bond

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Forgot to add

Dusty Rhodes said:
I think this is one of the greatest quotes ever and I dedicate it to USMCFroggy and Biltmore Bob:
http://www.brutallyhonest.org/Video/Greatest_Movie_Line_Ever1.wmv
Dusty
It's from a 1940 film called "The Ghost Breakers."
Here is the transcript for those of you with limited bandwidth, but go and watch the video, it's worth it to watch Bob Hope deliver it.

Geoff: "When a person dies and is buried, it seems there's certain voodoo priests who have the power to bring him back to life. "
Mary: "How horrible. "
Geoff: "It's worse than horrible because a zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring. "
Larry (Bob Hope): "You mean like democrats?"
:cheers1: :p :clap
Dusty

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Guys don't forget that was before that wonderful protector of free speech and the right to privacy Joseph McCarthy the Republican Senator from Wisc. Wasn't Bobs name on the list Joe had?

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

John Kennedy

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time."
Friedrich Nietzsche.

"KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland."
Ambrose Bierce.

"I am a one-eyed cat, peeping in a seafood store."
William Haley.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
One of the teachers at my school says this to students who say to her "But I didn't do anything." She says:
"Only dead people do nothing."

I got a good laugh when I first heard that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy