Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best quotes - Merged thread - Keep it Clean! No dashes! No Symbols!

Naphtali

Practically Family
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
"See, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that — at the right time and the right place — they’re capable of … anything!"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Naphtali said:
"See, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that — at the right time and the right place — they’re capable of … anything!"

[YOUTUBE]0IBZocFkXGY[/YOUTUBE]

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Now Voyager (1942)

Bette Davis to Paul Henreid "No-one has ever called me darling" , and promptly breaks down in floods of tears, acheingly tragic

now_voyager.jpg

klind65

One of the Regulars
The other night we were watching "My Fair Lady" and there is a scene in which Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle is attending the Ascot races - her first foray into society as a "lady"- but after a Herculean effort to maintain her facade, emotion overcomes reserve and she lets fly at top volume " C'mon, Dover, move your blooming arse!!" to the horror of those around her. HILARIOUS! One of my favorite funny lines from a picture. :D

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Naphtali said:

I saw Chinatown on its first release, and waited through the movie for something to tie the plot into Chinatown. When the line is it finally delivered, it all made sense: don't try to do anything, it's useless to try.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Naphtali said:
Here is the most horrifying quote in motion picture history, from (1984).

"All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always — do not forget this, Winston — always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever."

Whoa! I remember first reading that last line from the book, and how it struck a chord...

Edward

Bartender
C-dot said:
I just watched Christine: "Ya know Pepper, ya can't polish a turd." lol

No, but you can roll it in glitter.

MisterCairo said:
"I wouldn't advise a haircut, man. Hair are your aerials, they pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald men are uptight."

"Scrubbers!"

"We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now."

"I demand to have some BOOZE!"

And, of course, the immortal:

"If I medicined you, you would think a brain tumour was a birthday present." - this line being made by as much as the delivery the sheer state of the guy's eyes when he removes his sunglasses immediately before saying this!

MikeBravo said:
Wally_Hood said:
I did wonder about that. The theory is (and the martini experts in FL can clarify) that shaking "bruises" the alcohol making the drink stronger. So Bond would want the drink stirred rather than shaken, so he would have his wits about him by not being too drunk.

Him asking for a shaken drink did not make sense to me. The things one learns on FL :)

Ah, that I didn't know.... all I've heard before is that the taste of the drink is significantly different between the two. [huh]

Not exactly "classic", but there are a few doozies in A Few Good Men. Galloway's comment about why she's working so hard for Dawson & Downey, Col. Jessup on "Honor/Code/Loyalty"--pretty much anything of his rant aside from his commentary about Santiago, actually. And the one from Prettyboy about:
"Could you show me where in this manual it gives the mess hall's location?"
"It's not in there, sir."
"You've never had a meal while at Guantanamo?"
"Three squares a day, sir!"

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
So many good lines, so many movies. I know the "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" won as the best (or most famous) movie line, ever.

Here are a few I like:

Prissy from GWTW: "I don't know nothin' about birthin' babies."

Witch from Wizard of Oz: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!"

Any line from Casablanca! But, my favorite is Rick's line, "Of all the gin joints in all the world and she has to walk into mine!"

Dr. Strangelove: "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

And I love the "I coulda been a contender" speech from On the Waterfront.

Was it in Goldfinger that some thug is offed by Bond and then he and the car he is in is crushed in a junkyard? When asked what happened to him, Bond says "He had a pressing engagement."

karol

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MikeBravo said:
Wally_Hood said:
I did wonder about that. The theory is (and the martini experts in FL can clarify) that shaking "bruises" the alcohol making the drink stronger. So Bond would want the drink stirred rather than shaken, so he would have his wits about him by not being too drunk.

:eek:fftopic: It can, supposed, change the taste and make it more harsh, but it would have absolutely no effect on making it the drink stronger or its ability to make one drunker. Becoming drunk is determined by the amount of fluid you've imbibed and what amount of alchol / proof. Shaking or stirring's going to have no effect on that.

Three martinis on an empty stomach in rapid-fire order, and you're probably getting giddy, if not falling down. Having the same volume of gin & vermouth mixed in a quart of water and it's going to be more delayed and spread out in hitting you because your system is processing less alcohol in more fluid than three martinis and nothing else.

But now, back to the topic of quotes from classic movies...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner