Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best quotes - Merged thread - Keep it Clean! No dashes! No Symbols!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"What we have here is.....failure to communicate."

Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke

And from the always estimable R.A. Heinlein:

"The best way to tell a lie is to tell the right amount of the truth and then shut up."

magneto

Practically Family
As the end of the school semester draws near...

"Not only is this incomprehensible, but the ink is ugly and the paper
is from the wrong kind of tree." -- Professor W., EECS, George Washington University

also,

American women expect to find in their husbands a perfection that
English women only hope to find in their butlers. -- W. Somerset Maugham

A cucumber should be well-sliced, dressed with pepper and vinegar, and
then thrown out. -- Samuel Johnson

Optimist: There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Pessimist: ... it is an oncoming train.
Cynic: ... and it is late.

"Can you conjugate "Vodka?""
"Sure, the past tense is "money", and the future tense is "drunk"" -- bash.org/?52747

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
One of the greatest:

Baby, I don't care. - Mitchum in out of the past.

Or

It is a proven fact: there are more women in the world than anything else.... except insects. - Glenn Ford in Gilda.

Fred G.

Familiar Face
Freddy's favorite quotes

I believe it was F Scott Fitzgerald, who said: "Just remember, son, before you criticize someone, remember, they did not have all the advantages you did growing up". Or something to that effect.

AND: "If we descended from monkeys and apes, why are there still monkeys and apes?"

Haversack

One Too Many
Here are two of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite movies:

"It is cheap in the end to buy good quality and enough of them so you don't wear them out. They last longer. They look better. And there's a certain pleasure in having a change." - John D. Hackensacker III

"Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity that which yesterday was young. Alone, our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years." - The Weenie King.

Both are from _The Palm Beach Story_ (1942)

Haversack

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Classic One Liners

A couple of weeks ago I had a pamper night with some cheese, wine and Double Indemnity. I hadn't seen this film in many years and for some reason the dialogue really had a massive impact on me. This snippet is my favourite:

Keyes is played by Edward G Robinson and Neff is Fred MacMurray -which you guys probably already know.

KEYES
I know you did, Walter. I'm not beefing at you. It's the company. The way they do things. The way they don't do things. The way they'll write anything just to get it down on the sales sheet. And I'm the guy that has to sit here up to my neck in phony claims so they won't throw more money out of the window than they take in at the door.

NEFF
(Grinning) Okay, turn the record over and let's hear the other side.

KEYES
I get darn sick of picking up after a gang of fast-talking salesmen dumb enough to sell life insurance to a guy that sleeps in the same bed with four rattlesnakes. I've had twenty- six years of that, Walter, and I –

NEFF
And you loved every minute of it, Keyes. You love it, only you worry about it too much, you and your little man. You're so darn conscientious you're driving yourself crazy. You wouldn't even say today is Tuesday without you looked at the calendar, and then you would check if it was this year's or last year's calendar, and then you would find out what company printed the calendar, then find out if their calendar checks with the World Almanac's calendar.

KEYES
That's enough from you, Walter. Get out of here before I throw my desk at you.

NEFF
I love you, too.

What made this particular snippet particularly interesting is that I'd just returned from a business trip to Greece to investigate some dodgy insurance sales tactics. My trip left me feeling exactly how Keyes describes.

Miss Jones

New in Town
Besides my own signature..from which film I cannot remember, my favorites are usually from Casablanca. Forgive me if I don't get it exact.

Yvonne: Where were you last night?
Rick: That's so long ago I don't remember.
Yvonne: Will I see you tonight?
Rick: I don't make plans that far in advance.

Also

Renault: What brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: I came for the water.
Renault: Water?...
Rick: I was misinformed

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Paraphrasing to the best of my memory:

Raul Julia as Bison: I don't recall.
Chun Li: You ... don't .. remember.
Raul Julia: For you, when Bison visited your village, it was the most important day of your life. For me, it was ... Tuesday.

Novella

Practically Family
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."
- Umberto Eco

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance"
- Oscar Wilde

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Fairy-tales are more than real, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
- G.K. Chesterton

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."
- Arthur Miller

"Weekends, like life, are short."

"At this moment she is cooling off, like some beautiful volcano that has decided not to wipe out a lot of Italian villages."
- Riptide

"I'm 20 degrees cooler than you think." - Lana Turner
"Aw, one of them refridgerator dames, eh?" - Boxer
"That's right, you're not the guy to defrost me either." - Lana Turner
- Ziegfeld Girl

"If it's naughty to rouge your lips, shake your shoulders, and twist your hips
Let a lady confess - I wanna be bad."
- Zelma O'Neal, Follow Thru (1930)

"January, the Monday of the months"
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mmmm, I like quotes.

WH1

Practically Family
From Philadelphia Story

a classic exchange

Macaulay Connor (Jimmy Stewart) Now about this girl? Tracy Samantha Lord.

C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant) What about her?

MC Whats her leading characteristic?

CKDH She has a horror of men who wear their hats in the house.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"There are two kinds of people on this beach. Those who are dead and those who are going to die. So lets get the hell out of here..."
Robert Mitchum in The Longest Day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk