Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best quotes - Merged thread - Keep it Clean! No dashes! No Symbols!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I think Casablanca can more than hold its own against GWTW:

"Everybody comes to Rick's"
Ugarte: "You despise me, don't you?" Rick: "If I gave you any thought, I probably would"
Capt Renault to 'Rick: "How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce"
"I stick my neck out for nobody" (Rick)
Major Strasser: "What is your nationality?" Rick: "I'm a drunkard."
Rick: "Are my eyes really brown?"
"Play it, Sam" (Play it again, Sam is NEVER spoken in the film!)
"I remember every detail [of the last day Sam and Ilsa were in Paris], the Germans wore grey, you wore blue."

Just a smattering of classic lines (the last is my favourite!)!

klind65

One of the Regulars
LisaFreemontSt said:
'There's a name for you ladies...but it isnt used in proper society, outside of a kennel.' :)
Joan Crawford in The Women...many immortal lines in that movie:

"I've had three years to grow claws mother...'Jungle Red'!"

" I used this cream...it brought on a rash."

"Our new one piece lace foundation garment...zips up the back and no bone!'
Agreed, " The Women" is an absolute treasure trove for great quotes!

klind65

One of the Regulars
I recall a memorable line directed to a female: " As long as there are sidewalks, you'll have a career". I daresay its about as contumelious as one can get excepting imprecation! But I can't recall the film. All I remember is it was a B/W film and the dame saying it was on her way out the door.... Anyone know??:eusa_doh:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Moe: What did you answer when they asked what does a navigator do?
Curly: I told them a navigator crawls in a swamp until it becomes a suitcase, and bites like this too!

Groucho: You can leave in a taxi, if you can't afford a taxi you can leave in a huff, if that's too quick for you, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know you haven't stopped talking since I got here, you must've been vacinated with a phonograph needle.

klind65

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Doc Strange had it right -- 42nd Street, delivered by Ginger Rogers to a fellow chorus girl who has made a slighting remark. The Berkeley/Warner musicals are full of this kind of stuff.
A million thanks to both you and Doc Strange!:) :) :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The World Is Not Enough

Elektra King: There's no point in living if you can't feel alive.

GW300H429

klind65

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Joe Gillis: You're Norma Desmond. Used to be big in silent pictures. Used to be big.

Norma Desmond: I am big. It's the pictures that got small.
You know, even though I posted this thread, I have yet to decide my favorite :eusa_doh: but this one has got to be a contender! Love it! ( I also loved Von Stroheim in this picture)

NicknNora

A-List Customer
MisterCairo said:

Ugarte: "You despise me, don't you?" Rick: "If I gave you any thought, I probably would"
Capt Renault to 'Rick: "How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce"
Major Strasser: "What is your nationality?" Rick: "I'm a drunkard."
Rick: "Are my eyes really brown?"
"I remember every detail [of the last day Sam and Ilsa were in Paris], the Germans wore grey, you wore blue."

I love this one:

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

Casablanca can most certainly hold it's own against Gone with the Wind.:) If I had to pick a favorite movie (it would be hard) Casablanca would be at the top of my list (ahead of Gone with the Wind).

Edward

Bartender
Wally_Hood said:
And leave us not forget the thread-transcending "Shaken, not stirred."

If memory serves, the Bond of the books preferred his "stirred, not shaken", the line being changed for the films as they thought it sounded better.

Elementary my Dear Watson. (Sherlock Holmes)

Holmes never actually said this in Doyle's original..... as much a movie invention as the deer-stalker and pipe at all times look! Certainly works on-screen, though.

My favourite line in Casablanca is possibly one of Claude Rain's:

"I like to think that you killed a man, but that's probably the romantic in me." lol

Other, more recent films that have a million quotable lines for me include the Indy films, Ghostbusters, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

"So many guns and so few brains."

"Whadda ya want me to do? Learn to stutter?"

"Here's looking at you, kid."

"...you'll regret it. Not today, not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life."

"When your head says one thing but your whole life says something else, your head always loses."

...all from Bogart movies

And we mustn't forget " ...the problems of two little people don't amount to a hill of beans..."

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:

Major Strasser: "What is your nationality?" Rick: "I'm a drunkard." *Rick: "Are my eyes really brown?"

* To which Renault replies, "That makes Rick a citizen of the world."

Naphtali

Practically Family
From the only motion picture I've sat through consecutive theater showings.

"What else is on your mind besides 100 proof whiskey, 90 proof women, and 14 karat gold?" ("The Professionals," 1966) Rico Fardan (Lee Marvin) to Bill Dolworth (Burt Lancaster).
"Maybe there's only one revolution, since the beginning -- the good guys against the bad guys. Question is: Who are the good guys?" ("The Professionals," 1966) Bill Dolworth (Burt Lancaster) to Hans Ehringard (Spelling??) (Robert Ryan).
From, perhaps, the finest Western satire. Burt Lancaster portrays the perfect psychopath. The dialogue is liberally sprinkled with wit and humor. Lancaster's maniacal smile and egomania makes Richard Widmark's Tommy Udo ("Kiss of Death" 1947) appear to be harmless.

Erron: You saved my bacon back there. If you'd've been a little slower, you'd've stood to be a lot richer.

Train: Maybe I didn't think of that.

Erron: Too bad you never knew Ace Hanna. Shot my old man in a stud poker game when I was just a kid. Ace felt so bad he give me a home. Ace used to say three things: Never trust anybody you don't have to trust; never take any chances you don't have to take; never do any favors you don't have to do. Ace lived long enough to know he was right. He lived thirty seconds after I shot him. . . . You know, that's the first time I ever told anybody the story of my life.

"Vera Cruz" (1954) Joe Erron (Burt Lancaster) and Ben Train (Gary Cooper).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner