Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best repro/retro patterns for vintage styles

Smuterella

One Too Many
has anyone tried this?

bu5144_LRG.jpg

BoPeep

Practically Family
ShoreRoadLady said:
Fitting became so much easier when I moved to vintage patterns! There are quirks about them, too - a lot of styles don't look good without shapewear, for instance - but the fit is SO much better.

I agree with the shapewear issue. I'm finding vintage patterns to be easier for fitting as well, but you better have a good girdle! lol Just finished a wiggle dress and had to do a lot of re-shaping on the side seams. There was literally an edge where the waist met the hip (in the original pattern piece). I re-sewed all those lines to be gently flowing curves.

Thanks for the heads-up on Vintage Vogue, ladies, as they are sooo tempting! I have used two Decades of Style patterns and liked both, for fit and ease of construction.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Lottie said:
The easiest (and funnest) repro pattern I've worked with so far would be the 1930s button dress by decades of style:

3007-web-pic.jpg

http://www.decadesofstyle.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=39

The instructions are detailed and nicely written, it is not all that hard to make and because of the side straps, and it fits like a dream! I didn't even have to put in the zipper :)

(if anyone's interested, here's my version of it:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Lottifant/sw2klein.jpg?t=1275593007 )

Lottie you look fabulous!

:eek:fftopic: was the photo taken in Tiergarten?

Lottie

Familiar Face
HepKitty said:
Lottie you look fabulous!

:eek:fftopic: was the photo taken in Tiergarten?

Thanks! It was actually taken in the park around Schloss Bellevue, though :)

Swinggal: I hope you'll enjoy making it!
I'm thinking of sewig another, evening-y-er version to wear to the boheme sauvage this month...

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Ms Sew-n-Sew said:
I'm making up a Collette Patterns Ceylon dress at the minute:
http://www.colettepatterns.com/shop/ceylon
It's not repro, but vintage inspired and very sweet.

It is very easy to follow, with clear instructions - will post pics once it's done!
I've also used a Folkwear overall pattern and that also went very smoothly with minor adjustments for fitting.

I have this Hollywood Pattern that looks a lot like that Collette Pattern. And to think I was about to buy the Collette pattern.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Plugging my best friend...

Out of print, but worth it if you can find them on Ebay, are the original but vintage-styled patterns by Theresa LaQuey for Simplicity.
She made a Swing dress, a Sarong dress, and a fabulous 30s evening gown with fur trimmed wrap! I have made the last one and it was SO easy.
Unfortunately Simplicity doesn't seem to realize there is a market, they keep hiring her to produce stuff but they rotate it out of print really quickly.
Sarong:
il_430xN.69031377.jpg

Sorry, can't find any other copy-able pictures online, but I do see this sarong is for sale (uncut!) on Etsy, and there's a 30s wedding gown pattern of hers on Ebay right now too.
She does have a swell retro apron pattern in the stores right now too!

swinggal

One Too Many
I just wanted to review this wonderful new Wearing History pattern.

Unlike so many other repro patterns, this is SO easy to use and has such a lovely cut! I made my first pair of trousers in about 4 hours flat out of a wool blend, and I would call myself an intermediate sewer at best. I was thinking they'd be my 'test pair' as the fabric (as lovely as it is) was a large remnant from a thrift store, so cost very little. But they turned out so well - I now have a classy new pair of work pants :)

I think because Lauren has worked with vintage patterns for so long and is a professional seamstress herself, she knows exactly what others would love to see and read when it comes to instructions, style and layout - as old original patterns can be very difficult to work with.

The instructions for the trousers are very easy to follow, the sizing is accurate (you get 3 sizes with one pattern - which is wonderful) and it was a joy to use. I can't wait to make my denim jeans from the same pattern this weekend and the shirt. Awesome work Lauren!!

Will post pics soon...

il_fullxfull.161646147.jpg

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Thanks

swinggal said:
I just wanted to review this wonderful new Wearing History pattern.

Unlike so many other repro patterns, this is SO easy to use and has such a lovely cut! I made my first pair of torusers in about 4 hours flat out of a wool blend, and I would call myself an intermediate sewer at best. I was thinking they'd be my 'test pair' as the fabric (as lovely as it is) was a large remnant from a thrift store, so cost very little. But they turned out so well - I now have a classy new pair of work pants :)

I think because Lauren has worked with vintage patterns for so long and is a professional seamstress herself, she knows exactly what others would love to see and read when it comes to instructions, style and layout - as old original patterns can be very difficult to work with.

The instructions for the trousers are very easy to follow, the sizing is accurate (you get 3 sizes with one pattern - which is wonderful) and it was a joy to use. I can't wait to make my denim jeans from the same pattern this weekend and the shirt. Awesome work Lauren!!

Will post pics soon...

il_fullxfull.161646147.jpg

I just ordered this pattern so I was really excited to see this. I haven't sewn in a few years but all of you have me really inspired to get back at it.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Out of print, but worth it if you can find them on Ebay, are the original but vintage-styled patterns by Theresa LaQuey for Simplicity.
She made a Swing dress, a Sarong dress, and a fabulous 30s evening gown with fur trimmed wrap! I have made the last one and it was SO easy.
Unfortunately Simplicity doesn't seem to realize there is a market, they keep hiring her to produce stuff but they rotate it out of print really quickly.

Miss 1929, I noticed this and it's maddening. Simplicity should see how much these patterns can be sold for on the secondary market. I've been trying to find the sarong pattern but with little luck. What is you opinion of the '30s evening gown pattern she created? I recall seeing you in the gown somewhere in the lounge.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Here are some that I have made
This one is from Decades of style, it was very easy to make. The wrap around straps were not lined so i lined them with a complementary fabric. My only complaint about this dress is that you need to put several hooks and eyes or even snaps down the back so you don't flash people due to the wrap style of the dress. Also unless you have a bra that is something I have never heard of you should probably sew in cups because a bra even a low backed one shows. But the dress is great I swear.
4003-web-pic.jpg

These are all Butterick patterns that I have made
I have made the full skirted one adore it I am thinking about making the black one with the shoulder bows.
B6582.jpg

I really like this one I have several of the dress but find that I like it better without the belt.
B5214.jpg

I can't sing this patterns praises enough it is without a doubt one of my favorites.
B5209.jpg

I got this pattern only a week or two before it went out of print. I have made the one with the triangle cut out (I have it on in my avatar) And I am working on a second.
B5033.jpg

I have made these Vouge patterns I find that most of their stuff is far too long even for my 5"9' frame :eek: which never happens to me, so be warned ladies if you are shorter you will probably have to take up the length.

This one is great, but you make two skirts for it so it is on the heavy side but the two skirts make it so that it is full with out extra garments.
V2902.jpg

This one is so much fun I love it it had to have the length taken up about 5 inches. The dress is very wearable and always gets amazing complements.
V1043.jpg

And this one is the pattern I used for my favorite dress in my entire closest. I was a great length on me but if you are a smaller lady you might need to take it up.
V2960.jpg

Roxy

Familiar Face
Yay!!!

I just received in the mail today some great patterns from New Vintage Lady. They came with instructions about sizing appropriately for body shape differences, hemming and other techniques. I'm so excited to get to making these up! I'm really going to learn allot with these patterns. There is going to have to be a trip to the fabric store this weekend. :eek:)

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Roxy said:
I just received in the mail today some great patterns from New Vintage Lady. They came with instructions about sizing appropriately for body shape differences, hemming and other techniques. I'm so excited to get to making these up! I'm really going to learn allot with these patterns. There is going to have to be a trip to the fabric store this weekend. :eek:)

I would be on the bread line if I bought every New Vintage Lady pattern on my wish list! I am always amazed at the quantity of consistently great patterns she puts up for sale. :eusa_clap

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have had my eye on the Decades of Style wrap dress. I think I will get it closer to next summer.

I have Lauren's pattern also and what to start it this weekend. I always get worried when pattern instructions say intermediate sewing skills. I keep for getting that I CAN sew.

I have the Theresa LaQuey sarong dress. I even started it in this really cute novelty rayon print that I got for 10 cents a yard. I think it is farley easy and the instructions are clear but I never finished it.

lareine

A-List Customer
Goldfish said:
Can anyone recommend a good pattern for a line skirts?
I just made the skirt from Vogue 2885 on Friday. Despite the envelope illustration, I would say this skirt is definitely A-line. It was easy to sew and is very comfortable and I think flattering. The length is extremely conservative but the cut was very nice on me (I cut a 22).

Envelope illustration:
V2885.jpg

Model illustration:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21