Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best repro/retro patterns for vintage styles

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lottie said:
The easiest (and funnest) repro pattern I've worked with so far would be the 1930s button dress by decades of style:

3007-web-pic.jpg

http://www.decadesofstyle.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=39

The instructions are detailed and nicely written, it is not all that hard to make and because of the side straps, and it fits like a dream! I didn't even have to put in the zipper :)

(if anyone's interested, here's my version of it:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Lottifant/sw2klein.jpg?t=1275593007 )

I have a question about this wonderful pattern...
It says on their site that is it cut on the straight grain, but it really looks bias in the skirt, on their drawing. I have some wonderful black cotton with plaid lines in multicolor, but they are also on the straight, and I want the pattern to go bias, as it will be way more flattering. Any thought on whether this would work if I shifted it to bias? I don't see why not... although I might have to make the yoke in a contrast as I have barely enough fabric.
I guess I could make a muslin on the bias first to see how it goes... it is the perfect look for the fabric, if it were bias.

crwritt

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
It says on their site that is it cut on the straight grain, but it really looks bias in the skirt, on their drawing. I have some wonderful black cotton with plaid lines in multicolor, but they are also on the straight, and I want the pattern to go bias, as it will be way more flattering. Any thought on whether this would work if I shifted it to bias? I don't see why not... although I might have to make the yoke in a contrast as I have barely enough fabric.
I guess I could make a muslin on the bias first to see how it goes... it is the perfect look for the fabric, if it were bias.

My thoughts on this are, since the pattern is designed to be cut on the straight grain, you may find some stretching issues if you cut it on the bias. If I were going to do that, though, I would consider backing my bias cut fabric with lightweight cotton cut on the straight grain. That would achieve the diagonal plaid effect without the dress distorting itself.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
B4919.jpg

This makes up really easy. I would adjust the front as it is really, really, really low.
4007-web-pic.jpg

This was super easy and I love decades of style.
4004-web-pic.jpg

This pattern was pretty simple except I traced it wrong and had to put gussets on the side. If you trace your size in color pencil first you should have no problems.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me if Butterick B5209 is a good beginner's sewing garment?

I sewed in High School but haven't touched a machine since.

B5209.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
ZombieGirl said:
Can anyone tell me if Butterick B5209 is a good beginner's sewing garment?

I sewed in High School but haven't touched a machine since.

B5209.jpg

I think it is easy, I have a bunch of them and it was I think my second dress ever, if you make the halter be warned it is quite low in the back and may need special under garments. I love both but the short-sleeved variation is my favorite. Oh and if you want to mix it up a bit. I like to buy a patterned fabric for the midriff area and then make the wrest of the dress solid. I have one that has a black fabric with peacock feathers on it in the middle and then wrest of the dress is royal blue. I love that pattern nothing but good things to say about it.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks Grant Fan... I'll most likely make the short-sleeved one if I give it a go. And thanks for the tip on the contrasting patterns!

Lottie

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I also cut my dress on the bias, if that's any help..

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
It says on their site that is it cut on the straight grain, but it really looks bias in the skirt, on their drawing.

I wouldnt cut it on the bias, it might twist. Im always paranoid about that. The pattern in the illustration might have the fabric pattern woven at a 45 degree angle selvage to selvage. Ive seen that before....I even have some fabric like that, I think.

LD

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Are there any repro patterns out there for 40s Blouses, like a few styles in one envelope? I've seen vintage ones ou there but it seems it would make a handy repro.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies,
Not long ago all Butterick and Vogue patterns were 50% at Fabricville. Needless to say I stocked up...bought about twenty or so. And also some of the Simplicity repro-patterns;0 Haven't started on any projects yet though.

There was a very sweet 1940s style dress pattern, by I believe Butterick, but it wasn't a repro. Just found it! Butterick B5417. Love it, must go back and buy this one.

B5417.jpg

Some of the Newlook patterns look 40s, 50s and 60s: http://www.simplicity.com/p-2475-misses-dresses.aspx

Love this Simplicity one, can't wait to get started on my projects!

P7040106.JPG

X
BD

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
That Butterick pattern is cute. I have had my eye on it for a while.
I am making the simplicty pattern rigth now. The middle view. I made it in cotton and lined the skirt also. Just need to hem it and put in the zipper.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
deadpandiva said:
That Butterick pattern is cute. I have had my eye on it for a while.
I am making the simplicty pattern rigth now. The middle view. I made it in cotton and lined the skirt also. Just need to hem it and put in the zipper.

I cannot wait to see yours made! I'll be making the middle pattern also, the other two aren't suitable for me.

X
BD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks ladies! I think I might have to use a different pattern. Too bad as that one is exactly the thing, except for the all important hang if it... I may try it in muslin just to see what it does. Not on my precious vintage cotton!

swinggal

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:

I am curently making this dress and its hangs well despite being cut on the straight grain. I think it will hang well with the right fabric Miss1929. I wouldn't use cotton for it though as it specifies linens, crepes, silks etc...things that will have a nice drape. I am using a navy linen which has a lovley drape to it. I will make this dress again in a silk crepe later on. It's the cut of this dress that gives it the lovely bias look - without it being cut on the bias. Will put the pics up when it is finished.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
That Butterick is really cute! If you cut the skirt on the bias and use the flutter sleeve, it would give a nice 30's look, too.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia, I love that Simplicity jumper pattern. It was so easy and so fast coming together. I love how the bodice is lined and clean finished.

I made the slim sheath style. My problem was that it had way too much ease and I should've made it smaller. According to the envelope, I made a 14 on top and 16 on the bottom. I should've made a 12 on top and a 14 on the bottom. I plan to make up the full skirt style for the fall/winter and this time I have a better idea of how the sizes work.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It definitely would kamikat - I've got to go back and see if I can buy it today. ;0

Jenniferose, I would love to see your completed jumper, do you have pics posted in the lounge somewhere? I'll remember to measure the pattern, and not go by the measurements on the envelope, as I'd like it to fit well, especially on top. Thanks for the tip!

X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21