Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best suspender-button thread?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You make it sound like a very important rule that the braces should be covered by a waistcoat. But I know from your postings that you just personally prefer waistcoats and pocketwatches. Nothing wrong with that. The overemphasis of waistcoats is just a little funny. Wearing a suit jacket (or sportcoat) would work too and would be even more "correct"

Don't take me too serious. I don't follow all the rules and at the moment I am wearing a shawlcollar sweater and jeans (gosh!). Very unimpressive.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You make it sound like a very important rule that the braces should be covered by a waistcoat. But I know from your postings that you just personally prefer waistcoats and pocketwatches. Nothing wrong with that. The overemphasis of waistcoats is just a little funny. Wearing a suit jacket (or sportcoat) would work too and would be even more "correct"

Don't take me too serious. I don't follow all the rules and at the moment I am wearing a shawlcollar sweater and jeans (gosh!). Very unimpressive.

Do I? I'm sorry. I was only pointing out that back when braces were more common, that was how they were worn.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, back to the old question, Why do braces come in a variety of colors and patterns?
I think it is just personal amusement. Just like happy socks. A splash of color here and there. It doesn't spoil the conservative getup and it's just for fun.

You know how much women spend for underwear? Ok, maybe it's something else but I bet they mainly buy it for themselves.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Button on suspenders/braces...but no pants!

I've been eyeing some button on suspenders for some time now (I have a set of clip ons) but I find it ironic that even in stores where you find them for sale, there's nary a pair of pants with buttons to be seen! I may just take the plunge and sew my own suspender buttons on some of my trousers at home. Do most on here leave the belt loops attached, or is it preferable to try to remove them?

Also, one commenter stated that it's best not to cross the threads when sewing on suspender buttons. Am I correct in taking that to mean one should form an "H" with the thread, so to speak, as opposed to an "X"?

Fun fact regarding hiding one's suspenders (or braces): In the Victorian era, when braces were first invented, they were considered to be underwear. To venture outside without a waistcoat covering ones braces was considered outrageously unseemly, tantamount to a woman walking around with her garter belts showing! (which are, amusingly, known as 'suspenders' in the UK to this day). As time went on, it became less taboo to show ones braces in public, to the point where by the mid 20th century (YMMV depending on where you lived) it was perfectly acceptable and even fashionable to allow your braces to be seen, hence the patterns and colours available to the modern suspender/brace officionado.

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
And what kind of t-shirt goes best with braces, if trying for the Mork and Mindy look?

When I wear a vest, I make sure it's long enough, and my pants are high enough, that my belt won't show... because I'm SUPPOSEDLY wearing braces instead! I even gave that advice to some younger shoppers I ran into (they had said, "Excuse us, but do you know how long a vest is supposed to be?")

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My vests are never large enough to both fit me properly, AND cover my belt. So when I wear a waistcoat these days, I invariably wear braces with them as well.

Braces seem to grow on me! Or find me. Or track me down.

Ever since I got interested in them, I collected so many of them and they just seem to keep popping up at dirt-cheap prices at the local thrift-shops, so I can't refuse.

So far, I have:

Three pairs of clip-on braces (one pair I might actually sell/re-donate to the shop, 'cause it's really too big for me). Also:

- One Y-backed with a paisley pattern on it.
- One X-backed, jet-black. With nice brass sliding-clips and waistband-clips. I use this one most of the time.

I also have three pairs of button-on braces. Somehow...they're all red!

- one of them has leather tabs and button-holes on it.
- One has leather tabs, but cloth buttonholes.
- One has leather tabs, and cloth butonholes as well. This last one has a nice patterned design on it, but the cloth itself is falling apart. I had to reinforce all the stitching at the stress-points before I could even wear them.

I use the two upper button-on pairs of braces, now.

Not a single pair cost me more than $5.

I must say, between belts and braces, I much prefer braces. And not just for the Golden Age feel. It's so much more comfortable to have your trousers hanging off your body, instead of being garotted around your waist by a belt.

I invariably stitch on all of my own braces-buttons. I use the placement of the belt-loops and seams as a guide to getting the buttons spaced out correctly. I find that the best ready source of buttons of uniform size is to take condemned shirts and salvage the buttons from there. Just take any old shirt that would look better as a washing-rag, chop off the buttons and use those.

And I keep the belt-loops on my trousers on, just in case I do need to wear a belt for some unforseen reason.

Replying to Gin&Tonics

Modern braces were, I believe, invented in the GEORGIAN era. In the 1820s, to be precise. But other than that, yes you're right. It was considered a faux-pas to show off your braces in Victorian times. A bit like how these days, we'd like to think it's a faux-pas to show off your underwear in public...or something. Between rappers and teenage wannabes, I kinda forgot what the contemporary stance of acceptance and 'fashion' is on that front.

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
Ooops, I wrote "thread" meaning forum thread... but the subject also involves "thread" for sewing...
I ordered some colored buttons for outside-mounting, and also some "no-sew" buttons (each attached by a nail)... also known as jeans- or dungaree- buttons. I decided on a favorite pair of pants, on which the "burnished brass" of the no-sew buttons would look okay. I wore my clip suspenders one more time, to work out exactly where to mount the buttons. Then I realized that in the case of outside mounted buttons, one has to dodge the belt loops in front. (For some reason I had only thought about the back, where these pants have one loop on the rear centerline, so there should be no problem there.)
So.... The ones in front are just about in the same spots where I would have mounted two of the buttons. I'll wear the clips another day and think about it a little more.

One question that I have is on adjusting the suspenders. If they are too tight, it may be possible to be placing too great a strain on the buttons and thread?

In the past, I have used a drop of Super glue on thread to re-enforce it such as the stitching on the supports of an umbrella to keep the thread from blowing out. Just wondering if it would be possible to re-enforce the button thread similarly.

dnjan

One Too Many
So far, I have:

Three pairs of clip-on braces (one pair I might actually sell/re-donate to the shop, 'cause it's really too big for me).

Clip-ons!!! For-shame
:nono:
Never in my closet!

I invariably stitch on all of my own braces-buttons. I use the placement of the belt-loops and seams as a guide to getting the buttons spaced out correctly. I find that the best ready source of buttons of uniform size is to take condemned shirts and salvage the buttons from there. Just take any old shirt that would look better as a washing-rag, chop off the buttons and use those.

I think you will find regular suspender-buttons to be preferable. It has been mentioned previously that they have a convex curve on the side sewn against the waistband, so they can be sewn fairly close.
Since I always sew mine on inside, colour doesn't matter. So I picked up a gross for $12 (U.S.):
suspender buttons
Those are almost all used up (don't know where they could have gone - I don't have that big a closet! :) )
ans so I will soon order another gross.

P.S. Totally agree with having one's suspenders covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes