Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better when Aged

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There have been bands/singers/musicians of the modern perspective that when they first came out, I could hear their talent, but couldnt stand them. Now they they have lasted past the popularity, and are established, seasoned, and in their own, I have to say, Im taking a listen and I like what Im hearing.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers come to mind. I cant stand most of their earlier stuff, but their last 2/3 albums have been really good. Really good.

Anyone else feel that way about an artist. How their early stuff was null, but their older works are great?

Please share.

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm the type that always hated something upon it's initial release, but then grew to love it many years down the line. Does that count?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Green Day's early albums. On "American Idiot" they have gone back to their original sound.

I haven't bought an album for years, so I can't say if the artists that I have have changed or are even around at all.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Couldn't stand Depeche Mode in the 1980s; now when I hear their songs it makes me happy. Hated Bowie when I was in my teens, then realized his genius. I thought Pet Shop Boys were horrible in the 80s, but listening to their version of Village People "Go West" and their song "Let's Make Lots of Money" on a truly huge stereo in an immense grocery store, very very loud before the store opened, impressed me quite a bit with the production; my brother then let me have his 12" remixes of West End Girls and Suburbia and I found them impressive as well.

I, at first, up until the mid-1990s, HATED HATED HATED James Brown, of all people; the "HAH!" ejaculatory shouts disgusted me. Then I heard someone playing him loud from a moving vehicle in the Tenderloin one hot day and it seemed so apropos and full of life that my opinion completely did a 180 and not only do I find his band awesome but I appreciate what an extreme lunatic he is and his awesome energy and lack of fear.
And his songs are damn good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters