Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betty Grable's famous updo- how-to? (pin-up photo)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I've done some searching both on here and elsewhere, including youtube, and I couldn't find any detailed and suitable instructions for doing Betty Grable's famous curly updo, I can't post a photo but I'm sure most of you will know which one I mean, the pin-up one where she's looking over her shoulder wearing a swimsuit I think?

I've seen instructions on how to do this with pincurls but I am rubbish with them and I didn't really understand the diagram anyway.

It sort of looks like you could just pile all your (curled) hair on top of your head but somehow I don't think that's the case! :D

Could anyone give me some advice?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer

That's brilliant, thank you! She looks beautiful! I just tried it out and it's a lot easier than I thought! It looks a bit different on me cause I have Bettie bangs but it still looks good I think, plus it's an excellent way to show off my new hair flowers :D It definitely looks better when you make the curl by rolling your ends over rather than just leaving them loose, IMO, a bit less like you've just piled all your hair ontop of your head...

I guess this could probably be done on unset hair too, but I guess like most retro hairstyles it'd work best on hair that at least retains the weight and volume from setting. Nice to know I have an elegant and fairly practical solution to bad hair days though! :D

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
tumblr_ky9oxjfmNM1qzoaqio1_r1_500.jpg

Ava Gardner with the Betty Grable do (it looks lovely on brunettes too!) http://suicideblonde.tumblr.com

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I just wanted to add, for the benefit of any future readers, I have had success with actually setting my hair into this shape beforehand- you have to be a bit organised and know for certain that you want to wear this style the night before, but I greatly prefer rolling my hair so the standing pincurls/sponge rollers sit on top of my head already. Then when I take them out I generally don't brush them, or move them from the top of my head- I just arrange and pin where they are. I always find that pushing in combs at the sides and back helps to keep all the curls on top and stop them looking as though they've wilted!

Sometimes also, if I can't be bothered to do my whole head, I put the back bits into two or three big flat pincurls and leave them like that, and then put a huge flower in to cover up my lousy attempts at flat pincurls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80