Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bicycle Helmet?!

Speedster

Practically Family
There is the american football type:
a6ff_1.jpg

Or Everoak Helmets like this:
helmet4.jpg

Or the Deer Stalker type, also from Everoak:
new20helmets20002.jpg

new20helmets20001.jpg

A modern variant could be this white water helmet from www.sweet.no, the Strutter:
high_wiz_red.jpg

But none of these would do if the helmets in NZ have to live up to certain safety standards.

Then this one from Bell, the Faction could perhaps fit the bill, if a leather or tweed cover is made:
FactionMatteBlack.gif

FactionMatteKhakiWade.gif

Good luck

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Here in the U.S. our motorcycle helmet laws change from state to state. Here in Georgia the motorcycle helmet law reads as required “head protection” not a helmet as such, so that means a bandana if one desires. And I road with some that wore nothing but a leather dew rag (leather bandana).

Point being read the law carefully and see if you could get by with something else or does it have to be a certified “bicycle” helmet. An internet search my find a sued / leather cover or similar for a modern helmet. What about some of those cheap non DOT approved motorcycle skull caps in black? They even have them that look like old German military helmets.

Salv

One Too Many
I would guess that many of the posters recommending non-cycling specific helmets don't actually ride a bike very often...

Your head can get very hot while riding, and a fully enclosed helmet would quickly lead to overheating. I sweat enough with a proper cycling helmet, with plenty of ventilation, but one with no vents to allow air in to cool my head down would be impossible to wear.

TdF and pro peloton riders suffer from this more than anyone - they are constantly riding at their limit, generating an enormous amount of heat, and a helmet would be more harmful than helpful. There are very few head injuries caused during a pro race crash; the most common injury is a broken collar bone, plus plenty of road rash and damage to the hands. There's an occasional broken nose, broken ribs or broken leg, but head injuries and brain damage are very rare. Having said that, the only rider killed in recent years during the TdF - Fabio Casartelli - wasn't wearing a helmet when he he slid head first at speed into a concrete bollard on a mountain descent, and suffered massive facial and head injuries. He was riding at approximately 60mph when he crashed, and at that speed it's unlikely that a helmet would have prevented his death.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Indy, they may look silly but they're on your head for a reason. Just like wearing a seatbelt in a car. I wouldn't go on the road without one, in NZ or the UK.

I hope you can find one that doesn't offend your sensibilities!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Speedster said:
Then this one from Bell, the Faction could perhaps fit the bill, if a leather or tweed cover is made:
FactionMatteBlack.gif

FactionMatteKhakiWade.gif

I have this one. Its matte, black, and minimal. It does the job, and I took off all the stickers. Id stick to something modern like Scotrace suggested. Just make is 'look' as non-modern as you can.

LD

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Speedster, I LOVE that deerstalker! :eusa_clap

As for the issues of safety vs. style, I live in a small town where I would be riding only casually, perhaps to and from work which is only a mile or so from my house. I wouldn't ride fast and we have dedicated biking lanes on the roads, so I don't think I'm in a high risk area.

Thanks for all of your help... Lonn, I may have to consider designing my own one day... maybe a steampunk style bicycle helmet. Hmmm... ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

jtlinn

New in Town
Another Perspective

I commute by bicycle almost every day, race in local and regional races, do long distance charity rides, and will be cycling across the country this summer. Out of all of that, my worst crash was riding at low speed on a quiet street in a bike lane. A lady wasn't looking as she was pulling out of her driveway and t-boned me, throwing me off of my bike. The first thing to hit was my head against a light post, splitting my helmet in half. I was hospitalized for a week, falling in and out of a coma for the first day and a half.

In my opinion, you have two options:

Option #1: Wear a modern, approved helmet when you ride your bike. (I have a couple of helmets including the matte black Bell helmet mentioned above. I like that one quite a lot.)

Option #2: Wear a modern, approved helmet while you play with your coloring books for the rest of your life after the crash.

I think of the two options #1 is infinitely more stylish. Remember, it's not IF you're going to crash, just WHEN and HOW BADLY. If your helmet isn't designed for riding a bike, it's not going to work like it should. Make a good looking tweed cover for the Bell if you want something a bit more classic; but wear a helmet every time. Take a tour of the brain injury ward of your local hospital if you need more convincing.

NRay

New in Town
I live in a small town where I would be riding only casually, perhaps to and from work which is only a mile or so from my house.

Like jtlinn, I also commute by bike and generally ride a lot. One day I was riding in a quiet neighborhood when I was hit head-on by a motorcyclist who came around a blind turn on the wrong side of the road. My bike was toast (so was my helmet) but I escaped with a few scrapes, bruises, and a sore back. Otherwise, I may have sustained brain and/or spinal damage from the impact. I know that this wasn't as bad as jtlinn's accident, but both incidents should emphasize that an accident is often the fault of someone else.
So, I would also recommend a modern helmet. If you are worried about your look, you might want to take a look at this guy and see how well modern helmets help out with the essential stylish look:
smoke_suit.jpg

Okay, maybe not the best picture, but honestly, some of the new helmets have very nice colors, help keep your head cool, and helmets with visors don't make you look like you're in a triathlon.

Speedster

Practically Family
Just found this new bike helmet from a Danish company: www.yakkay.com

You buy this helmet:

SmartOneCustom.jpg

and use it as is or buy one of these covers:

Ismir-hvidCustom.jpg

cover_knit1.jpg

DublinCustom.jpg

cover_basic1.jpg

Paris-armyCustom.jpg

cover_cap1.jpg

Tokyo-stripes.jpg

cover_sunhat1.jpg

They will be adding more covers eventually.

This could be the perfect base for a deerstalter type cover Indy Magnoli...

Edward

Bartender
I like the deer stalker, and that Danish option. It aeems to me that tis is difficult simply because cycle helmets weren't around back in the day. My inital thoughts on reading the OP were in the direction of either something Equestrian, or an old school motorcycle helmet. A Davida Classic, for instance, might be a good option:

02993482Asmall.jpg

Looks pretty damn cool on:

0205_838_thomas_gimp_vader_az.jpg

In terms of the safety factor, they have this to say:

"When it comes to the crucial function of a helmet safety, Davida have satisfied many of the Worlds strictest standards, achieving ECE-R2205 certification, ACU Gold in the UK as well as certifications for the USA, Scandinavia and Japan."

Which I think bodes well. They will also go to some degree to personalise the helemt for you in terms of colour / design; alternatively, there is a whole range of repros of designs from famous motorcycle ravers of the 50s. %0s might be a little later than you were hoping for, but it seems to me that this is about as old school as you'll get. Unlike a modern motorcycle helmet, which would seem way too big and look totally wrong on a push bike, I should think one of these would do the job very nicely. It's what I would consider if I did buy a bike and cycle in London.

The one ouch is the price - looking here and downloading the xl spreadsheet:

http://www.davida.co.uk/sales.php

... reveals that the retail price, inclusive of VAT, is £185 - though you might well find a better deal by hunting authorized dealers rather than buying direct. Hell of a hike up from a modern cycle helmet price (though in line with the higher quality modern motorcycle helmets), but if you're gonig to cycle to work regularly and really can't stomach a modern helmet, it may well be worth it for safety's sake. Can't put a price on your own brain...

Speedster

Practically Family
Yes, the Davida is a very cool helmet (but not a very safe one)...

I have one:

103_0330.jpg

...and it is not so suitable for bicycle riding as it is too heavy and lacks ventilation to get rid of some of the heat building up when you are pedalling.

Edward

Bartender
Speedster said:
Yes, the Davida is a very cool helmet (but not a very safe one)...

I have one:

103_0330.jpg

...and it is not so suitable for bicycle riding as it is too heavy and lacks ventilation to get rid of some of the heat building up when you are pedalling.

I guess weight is a matter of personal preference, but I can see your point re the ventilation thing. Guess it depends on what kind of cycling you do, fo how long and in what conditions (weather and temperature)? I wonder could they create one with some ventilation holes, or could one be modified?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Another bike accident survivor here. No car involved, just wet sand on a trail. Bike went one way, I went the other. Helmet took a hit, so I am lucky I was wearing it. Only broke a collarbone.

Long story short: Wear the #%!!ing thing. Please.

Lady Day said:
I have this one. Its matte, black, and minimal. It does the job, and I took off all the stickers.
It's also made in OD, which makes it look vaguely like a WW2 paratroop or flak helmet.
Faction_MatteOlive_small.jpg

However, the logos were silkscreened onto mine and are irremovable. I'm gonna paint over them and install one of those horrifically expensive flight jacket decals.

Speedster

Practically Family
Edward said:
I guess weight is a matter of personal preference, but I can see your point re the ventilation thing. Guess it depends on what kind of cycling you do, fo how long and in what conditions (weather and temperature)? I wonder could they create one with some ventilation holes, or could one be modified?

Well, it could probably be modified if you really, really wanted to but that would be a very very extremely expensive bicycle helmet...

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
However, the logos were silkscreened onto mine and are irremovable. I'm gonna paint over them and install one of those horrifically expensive flight jacket decals.

I've had some success in the past with using nail varnish remover, or white spirits on that sort of thing. [huh]

Speedster said:
Well, it could probably be modified if you really, really wanted to but that would be a very very extremely expensive bicycle helmet...

lol No, fair point. Pity, really..... much as I liek the look, I can't see me ever feeling safe on a motorcycle with any kind of an open-face lid. I just well understand Indy's aversion to looking like a cyborg mushroom, as a lot of cycle helmets tend to do to the wearer... I'm extraordinarily vain, myself, and would be loathe to sport one of those things... the Bell helmet doesn't look so bad, though, I could see that working in a pinch.

mister7

Familiar Face
Regarding Tommaso's assertion that most of the Tour de France is ridden without helmets, that is false. Watch a stage and see. At one time some riders would wear one only for descents, but about a decade ago the rules changed to require everyone to wear an approved helmet all the time.

All the style options are interesting looking, also very hot looking. I'm sure it is not as hot in New Zealand as it is in New Mexico, but ventilation and heat transfer are the primary consideration of EVERY rider I know. Those equestrian helmets and motorcycle helmets are for someone who is not providing their own horsepower. Are there no hills in NZ? Hard going up, fast going down. You wouldn't coast if given the chance? The next time you are going 20 miles an hour in your car (not very fast) think about jumping out and landing on the ground.

I also second the notion that you aren't going to plan to hit your head, but it will happen anyway. I have ridden more than 170,000 miles in the last twenty five years and have only decked it a couple of times, but on one of those occasions my helmet definately saved my life. I drove a small stone more than an inch into the helmet, my skull was undamaged.

You mentioned getting a set of bikes, are you going to be ok with wiping the drool from your wife after she cracks her skull? Or vice-versa? For the rest of your lives? Living is more important than posing, in my opinion. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner