Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bicycling Hat

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Wear one that fits or has a wind-trolley.

This is an interesting piece:
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/index.html

I ride a fixed gear, brakeless racer from the 1920's to work, in the morgue, everyday. Eight piece, engineer cap. Alpine, Akubra fed, pith helmet, bowler(brown and black), Borsalino fedora, Basque beret all work just fine

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mysterious Mose said:
I ride a fixed gear, brakeless racer from the 1920's to work, in the morgue, everyday. Eight piece, engineer cap. Alpine, Akubra fed, pith helmet, bowler(brown and black), Borsalino fedora, Basque beret all work just fine
Heh. You're guaranteed to make it to work.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
lol True that.
I've imagined what it would be like to get killed while on duty.
They zip up the bag, tell the callcenter to trace the mortician on call and then my pager goes off.

In all fairness, we've got plenty bike lanes here in Holland, and I've been riding since I was about 2.

You all take care of yourselves and enjoy the ride.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Like Binkie over in Perth, those of us who live in Queensland have little discretion when it comes to headgear while bicycle riding. The law requires an approved safety helmet.

I wonder if a bowler (the traditional hard-hat variety) would pass muster? Dunno - but I suspect it would need a chin strap at the very least.

billyspew

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Like Binkie over in Perth, those of us who live in Queensland have little discretion when it comes to headgear while bicycle riding. The law requires an approved safety helmet.

I wonder if a bowler (the traditional hard-hat variety) would pass muster? Dunno - but I suspect it would need a chin strap at the very least.

The one I posted earlier is a felt one, and is certified for use:
mrbenlores.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billyspew said:
The one I posted earlier is a felt one, and is certified for use:
mrbenlores.jpg

A felt one is certified over there in the Old Dart, Billy??? Surely pommy melons would require more protection that mere felt?? Is it a solid bowler??

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Personally, I would wear only a real bicycle helmet, but thats my choice with over 165000km under the belt.
If it would be something else, then only a flat cap.
I just got my linen cap from B! Wear
http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/
and this is what I would wear on a bike for the warmer time of the year, with an additional lightweight woolen one for those colder days when the ears dont have to be covered.
My cap has a good a solid fit and so wouldnt be blown away when riding.
Its my first from B! Wear but certainly not the last because I am very satisfied with the product and the informations I got from Brett Stiles prior to ordering it.
You can find lots of info on caps here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4972

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Indy Magnoli had a similar thread a couple of years ago. It pretty much followed the same trend as this one, with a lot of folks recommending helmet use (a stance I agree with.) I don't think he ever said what his final solution/decision was regarding hat/helmet use.

Though bowlers have been mentioned, the ones designed as helmets for riding horses might be considered! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
BinkieBaumont said:
"Here in the swan River colony, by LAW!!! You have to wear an approved safety helmet, which unfortunately gives you helmet hair,that aside, a clever cove at a local market is selling "Novelty" Helmets such as a ww2 German helmet! they look frightfully good, there are various "novelty" other designs, there maybe a "Derby" will check on the weekend"

This sounds like a great idea-- I'd indeed wear a helmet if it looked legitimate and not like a mound of neon plastic on my head. Do they have a Tommy's helmet design? How about that Derby?

If the helmet were light enough and styled after a traditional hat or Tommy's helmet, then I'd definitely go for that. Either would work-- I generally ride an old Raleigh 3 speed. I grew up riding without a helmet-- nobody wore them, so I got used to just hopping on and going for a ride. But a helmet that wears and looks mostly like a Derby/Tommy Helmet/Fedora would be nice. The Derby on the Bobbin page looks nice but is very pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn