Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big-screen kings chat about their jobs

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Peter Bogdanovich has an article (link requires subscription) the Wall Street Journal (March 3, page P6) about the book "Conversations With the Great Moviemakers of Hollywood's Golden Age."

To quote the article: "Among other terrific conversations is the one with George Cukor, who is asked what he hoped to accomplish in his films (such classics as 'Gaslight' and 'Adam's Rib'), and he replies in his usual modest and candid way: 'Well, to explore the possibility of the story and have it acted well. That's all I hope. I don't think I can say that I wanted to solve any great world problems.'"

A few excerpts from the book:

"All these men ... have at least two qualities in common: a passion for picture-making and a pride in getting it done for a price. This was, after all, the beginning of a world-altering medium and there is among these artists a palpable feeling of love for the activity itself, as well as a generally unpretentious approach.

"No one was less pompous or funnier than that grand old pioneer Raoul Walsh, who talks casually here about directing crowd scenes with 4,000 people, and one of the students asks if there was a way to train yourself in "how to handle that many people," to which Walsh deadpans: 'Well, I come from a large family.'"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy