Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest Loser Club:Vintage

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Bartenders: I hope this is okay. There are several threads about weight, health, etc. in the Beauty section. Our goal is to lose weight to be healthier, but that also means we can fit into vintage clothing/ find things in our size much easier. This also means we will be able to enjoy a life of vintage longer because healthier bodies=longer lives. If this is not allowed, we ladies can find another place to do it—just let us know.

Here it is, Ladies (and I’d like to open this to the Gentlemen as well!):

The Biggest Loser Club: Vintage.
Here’s a basic overview of the program: It's really quite easy-- everyone who wants to participate is added to a list, which is then randomly divided in to as many teams as we need to have for the amount of participants. Each week, the team members will respond with their weight/inches loss. The team with the most percentage of weight/inches loss that week is the winner for that week. The top 3 individual losers get a 1 pound pass for the next week, meaning that they get to add 1 pound to their weight loss the next week.

Each week, a challenge will take place where each participant records their successes (glasses of water drank, minutes of physical activity, etc.) and the person with the highest participation numbers gets a prize such as a weigh-in pass where they don't have to weigh in during the week of their choice, or something like that.

We don't kick people off, like in the TV show, because everyone should have the opportunity to participate. Maybe we can come up with some sort of ultimate prize for the Biggest Loser in the end-- something Vintage themed, of course.

For the first four weeks, we will weigh in only once—the first day of the competition and then again 4 weeks later. In those first weeks, teams will be ranked through challenge results and inches lost instead of through weight. This is to encourage a more active lifestyle and adopting of healthy habits that will stick through the duration of the competition and hopefully, life. This will also keep us from getting discouraged if the scale just doesn't seem to budge.

Weigh-ins will work like this:
On Starting Sunday at 12:00 Noon CST, the contestants will have 24 hours to get their weights/ challenge results for that week in. You will also measure your waist at the smallest point, your hips at the fullest point, and your upper arm at the wides point.You will post them in this thread.
Use this format:

Starting Weight: [this will be the previous week's weight. For the first week, it is your starting weight]
Current Weight: [weight as of the day you are posting]
This weeks loss (+/-): [pounds lost/gained]
Total loss(+/-): [overall pounds lost/gained]
Starting waist/hip/upperarm: [measurments from previous week]
Current waist/hip/upperarm: [measurements from day posting]
Inches Lost:

I will do my best to have weekly results posted by 12:00 Noon CST the next day.
Anyone who wishes to participate has until 11:00 PM CST on Friday, January 23rd to PM me and let me know. I’ll announce teams on Saturday the 24th.

Our first weigh-in will start on Sunday, the 25th and end on Monday the 26th. I’ll have our first challenge announced on Tuesday, the 27th. With that, I will post a “form” to fill out to post at the end of the week with your results.

Use this thread as a place to talk about successes, failures, and things you need help with!

TEAMS!

Team Fabulous:
  • Coralee
  • KittyVonKirsche
  • MissAmelina
  • sian kisses
  • Tigerlily
  • Dani Daydream
  • laurakitty
  • plumdearly
Team Fierce:
  • Miss Caroline
  • Sweet Ara D.
  • Kishtu
  • maggiethespy
  • miss molly
  • Sydney Loren
  • texasgirl
  • sixsexsix

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
MissAmelina said:
Can we add waist/hip/upper arm measurement to this too? Most people lose inches alot faster than they lose weight....and it is very motivating to see that in a few weeks you have lost 3 inches in your waist when the scale has hardly budged. :)

LOL....did you mean to type "November 23rd?" :)

Was in the process of adding it ;)

Hehe... Watching Jon & Kate Plus 8 with my mom as I typed this, and in the episode we were watching it was set in November. It's fixed now.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Participants So Far:

• sian kisses
  • Tigerlily
  • laurakitty
  • KittyVonKirsche
  • maggiethespy
  • Coralee
  • Miss Caroline
  • Dani Daydream
  • Sweet Ara D.
  • MissAmelina
  • Kishtu
  • Sydney Loren
  • texasgirl
  • miss molly
  • plumdearly

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissAmelina said:
Can we add waist/hip/upper arm measurement to this too? Most people lose inches alot faster than they lose weight....and it is very motivating to see that in a few weeks you have lost 3 inches in your waist when the scale has hardly budged. :)

I think size is way more important than weight anyway. If you've lost fat but gained muscle weight, you'll have lost a lot more size, but not necessarily that much weight - it's an important thing to remember!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
I think size is way more important than weight anyway. If you've lost fat but gained muscle weight, you'll have lost a lot more size, but not necessarily that much weight - it's an important thing to remember!

True, muscle weighs more than fat, but weight loss IS a factor that should be considered as well. If we were training to be body builders, it would be different-- weight loss would be bad because we'd be wanting to gain muscle mass. In this case, we're looking to lose fat and tone our muscles, so I think it is still apropriate to count weight loss as well.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
maggiethespy said:
True, muscle weighs more than fat, but weight loss IS a factor that should be considered as well. If we were training to be body builders, it would be different-- weight loss would be bad because we'd be wanting to gain muscle mass. In this case, we're looking to lose fat and tone our muscles, so I think it is still apropriate to count weight loss as well.

True, but bear this in mind....a girlfriend of mine went from a size 16 to a size 6 last year. She weighs more now than when she was a size 10, just because her muscles are toned...and she looks itty bitty.
Building muscle (toning) increases metabolism and it does not make you bulky. It makes you a lean hot momma.... :) We've all seen those photos of Marilyn pumping iron. (and just in case we haven't....)

marilyn.jpg

But I have said my thang, so I shall be quiet now. :)
Sorry, I am a Susan Powter junky, so I say "throw away the scale!! THROW IT AWAY!" haha! At 51 she is in incredible shape. She is intense, but I just love her.

Her website is fun to check out---recipes, stories, her venting, :)
This is a helpful calorie consumption chart that she goes over:

http://www.susanpowteronline.com/index.php/site/ebmt_eat/

And I would love to join the fitness group too, and I promise to not be a preachy momma. :) I promise. And I do actually use my scale, because it has a body fat% reader on it. I am 28%bf and would like to be about 24% for health reasons.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
gee if we're measuring inches lost as well im gonna have to drag out my old cardio funk videos (yes videos lol). Not a member of a gym n tis hard getting out with bubs. Oh well, she'll have fun laughing at the jiggly crazy woman lol Itll be like Homer on the treadmill :D Shame we're not measuring weight loss the first week though. Being so big I tend to lose a lot when I start. I can lose around 8 or 9 pounds in the first week. This is so good though. im raring to go!!

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
Hello! I would really like to join in with this - the only problem is that I don't currently own any scales! I am hoping to buy a cheap pair as soon as my exams have finished but until then would it be possible to just put my measurements?

Sweet Ara D.

New in Town
I do not have PM yet either but would still really like to join the group. I have to be in yet another wedding in April so I want to slim down quite a bit before then (and also of course to get into some vintage clothing). I'm excited!!!!!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Molly-- we won't be weighing ourselves for the first month, except for the initial weigh in. Is there anyway you can use scales in the fitness center on campus? You'll only need that weight once. After that its all measurements for 4 weeks. If not, we can just use your measurements. Back when I didn't have a scale, I'd weigh myself on one at the store... you can't be sure how well they're balanced, but it works when you're a poor college student.

Sweet Ara D. and Dani_Daydream-- you're both added!

Added you too, MissAmelina, and you can be as much of a preachy momma as you want! We need all different perspectives, information, and ideas!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Maggie- sign me up! I went to my WW meeting on Monday- I kinda fell off the wagon over the holidays! But I'm recommitting myself to lose these extra pounds and get healthy!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic