Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jacket or what?

sproily

Practically Family
img5811i.jpg

img5822r.jpg

img5813zh.jpg

img5815w.jpg

img5817h.jpg

img5820e.jpg

Guesses on age? The lining is a rough fabric, not flannel.

PS. Just found this from a 1937 leaflet. http://digi.lib.helsinki.fi/pienpai...49&pageFrame_currPage=6&pageFrame_currFrame=2

It says that it's for engine drivers. The one I have must be newer because of the size tag.

Last edited:

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I think it all depends on how the arms are cut, if you can put your arms up on the bars and the jacket doesnt bunch up in the shoulders and pull up on the sides, then its a biker jacket as far as I'm concerned.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Leather jackets with button front closures are not biker jackets afaic. It would billow like crazy, not to mention provide limited weather protection.

Yeah but it does have some sort of double breasted design and the collar is like a mandarin style.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've always known that style as a leather donkey jacket - used by laborers, truck drivers, engine drivers, etc, etc. Utility jacket is quite a good label for them too. You also see them in corduroy.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Baron I've had those kind of donkey jackets too. Over here a variation without the leather is called the Bluey jacket. The cord ones are harder to find these days. The Americans tend to call jackets like these chore jackets, I understand. The denim ones are especially sought after.

rgraham

A-List Customer
The collar is about the only thing that I would associate with a motorcycle jacket. The sleeves are too wide, and would let in bugs and wind. You'd have to have some pretty large gauntlet gloves to cover them.

Alexander Church

New in Town
Reminds me more of a jacket someone racing around on a Model T convertible would be wearing, otherwise I don't think it would serve the Biker jacket purpose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy