Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jacket

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
As a kid, growing up in NYC, I dreamt of owning a nice leather jacket, but could never afford one. Now, that my 44th birthday is approaching, I've been tinkering with the idea of purchasing a custom horsehide "biker" jacket - size 48. It's either that or a nice timepiece =) I don't ride a motorcycle -- but I'm captivated by the nostalgic look of biker jackets. The LOSTWORLDS' "Speed Demon" has caught my eye. Do you guys/gals think it's tacky to wear a biker style jacket, if one doesn't ride? Your input is appreciated.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
In my opinion a perfecto style jacket looks wrong if you are not going full on rockabilly! You can't really dress casually, wear a perfecto and not look odd.
Things like a cafe racer or a highwayman or a lot easier to wear on a daily basis.

Now, to answer you question more specifically, i don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a motorcycle jacket and not riding.
But be aware that you will get asked if you ride a bike, or what you ride.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not riding and wearing a bike jacket is okay but as stated that particular jacket is a very specific look and probably isn't all that versatile. It's a nice looking item but I wouldn't wear one personally. I have a few cafe racers and some half-belts.

I should add that mine has been in the garage/ closet for the last 20 years, and we are the same age. There are so many great vintage styles out there that can be worn at any age. I think the "biker" style is best left to riders, rockers, and young'uns.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I don't ride a bike, and was fearful I'd look like a wannabe biker before I purchased a Johnson perfecto-styled jacket.
(I bought the jacket on impulse in the shop, because it was my favorite style there).
Actually more so, a faux punk rocker (even though I like that stuff).
But once you have the jacket in person, the uneasiness disappears. The jackets we talk about here are all too nice to be seen as as some kind of accessory to a stereotype.
Chances are the person on the street will be thinking "gosh, that's the nicest jacket I've ever seen, that guy really knows his stuff" long before ever thinking "wow, that guy wearing that jacket is a poseur". And anyone giving you a hard time about your jacket choice is probably oblivious to common sense anyhow.

You'll see what I mean once you get your jacket! These things are so nice that the stereotype part is really not even a factor. They're just really cool jackets. Look at that old ad posted here with the guy wearing a d-pocket with a bow-tie on! Totally going against common perception today, but he looks cooler than anyone today! That "you have to be a biker" thing is just silly. *I think he was a biker though.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I do ride, I don't wear my Bootlegger or Buco while riding, I prefer to wear a jacket with armour..... so whenever I do wear them, its cause I like the jacket and not because I need it for my bike, if that makes sense.

If you are concerned you can't pull it off, why not pick up a cheap vintage one off eBay and trial the look before splurging on a lost worlds that you "may" never feel comfortable wearing.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
If you do wear a Perfecto style jacket, PLEASE, if you wear it un done, tuck the belt back in the loops. In my opinion and it is only my opinion, I think it just looks sloppy just hanging down.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Warhol used to wear a Perfecto over a suit and t-shirt.

I suppose another way to downplay the biker look would be to get one in brown... I have a book on leather flight jackets which is full of A-2 jackets but hidden among them is a brown Perfecto-style jacket that some USAAF pilot wore in WWII and it looks amazing. Something like this: LINK

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
I did ride, and I did use an Aero MC jacket, but only on days I knew were going to stay dry. Otherwise, I wore my Hein Gericke nylon breathable waterproof with armor. I never expected anyone wearing a bike jacket to have a Triumph parked round the corner. Wear what you like and feel comfortable with, for what it is worth Aero used to do a nice CHP style jacket but I don't think it is in the lineup any more.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I personally prefer a Buco J-100 styled biker jacket as compared to a Perfecto. The J-100 has cleaner lines and is more versatile. Several companies offer wonderful J-100 styled jackets, including Goodwear, Himel, Diamond Dave, Aero, Real McCoys, Lost Worlds and Toys McCoys. If you are not using the jacket for riding, I personally would stay away from particularly thick HH designed to protect a rider during a fall (e.g., Los Worlds).

IXL

One Too Many
^^^^^You might take a look at a Legenday Leathers jacket. I have a brown HH J-24. It's a very good jacket that I wear often, riding or not, and it's made in the U.S.A. (by Schott, for Legendary.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ