Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Hercules Jacket

It's very interesting how every maker does their version of this jacket a little differently. Dinerman would know best with his collection of old Sears catalogs, but I believe they made this style well into the 40's. The jacket didn't change too much, but the cut and fit did a bit. The older 30's versions had a longer dip in front it seems, and later on the back and front were about the same length. The first couple years had riveted zips, blue wool lining, and no chest pocket. Later on, they got a bit boxier and had the deco box talon zips. I didn't realize that they had storm cuffs, but I figure Platon found a photo that had them. I wonder if BK used rubber in the chest pocket to keep things dry.
Fit pics please!!!!!
I've seen a couple of originals worn, some look good, but othes don't.
Show us what you got!!!!!!

schitzo

Suspended
man, I just cannot view Swoosed's pics or Proteinnerd's from the other thread no matter how many times I refresh. I wonder would any kind soul like to post them up another way so that the geographically handicapped amongst us might enjoy an ogle too? Thanks in advance, Schitz

zhz

Practically Family
There you do schitzo, pics from Swoosed:
IMG_3005_zpsc8799ea1.jpg
IMG_3006_zpsb06958d6.jpg

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks zhs, that was fast!

I don't dig vintage hides personally, but this looks like a nice version of the jacket

Edward

Bartender
Quite possibly. I reckon he'd be wearing something like this, maybe...

124534cecbfc0032_Royale%20front-500.jpg

The big pockets were definitely practical for Jones...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice one Edward, I remember you suggesting this 1920's golf jacket a while back. It certainly has the advantage of looking a bit like the movie jacket, only period accurate.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Kelso one is the only one that comes with that collar rain guard thing. Only other repro jacket I've seen that has this feature is the Finecreek ACJK042 jacket.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
The Kelso one is the only one that comes with that collar rain guard thing. Only other repro jacket I've seen that has this feature is the Finecreek ACJK042 jacket.
My Sugar Cane jacket has the adjustable wool collar as well, it’s meant to protect the leather and keep your neck warm:
07D3A63B-943B-492B-A50D-CF78AB294DD4.jpeg

I thought I saw Goodwear do it once as well for their Hercules with a corduroy collar?

You’re right though in that the BK has the most Hercules details, including the adjustable collar, the built-in storm cuffs, the herringbone twill locker loop, the waterproof chest pocket, the cutaway zipper back facing, the corduroy lining under the collar and in the cuffs, the cotton drill sleeve lining. Phew!

Damon141

Practically Family
My Sugar Cane jacket has the adjustable wool collar as well, it’s meant to protect the leather and keep your neck warm:
View attachment 494465

I thought I saw Goodwear do it once as well for their Hercules with a corduroy collar?

You’re right though in that the BK has the most Hercules details, including the adjustable collar, the built-in storm cuffs, the herringbone twill locker loop, the waterproof chest pocket, the cutaway zipper back facing, the corduroy lining under the collar and in the cuffs, the cotton drill sleeve lining. Phew!
These seem like a good idea if you can replace them because they would surely get filthy over years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko