Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biltmore Lucca Hemp Fedora

Spellflower

Practically Family
I'm not usually one for straw. I wear fur felt throughout the summer, even in a heat wave. But I'm going to Colombia in a month, and I hear it's brutally humid and never rains, so I decided to buy something more appropriate.

I ordered the Biltmore Lucca, a hemp milan fedora, from One2MiniRanch. I did a search, but there hasn't been much posted about this hat, so I thought I would fix that.

It's not to my taste as much as my vintage Dobbs 20, but I like its looks just fine. The brown ribbon and cocoa color are more my speed than the white panama and black ribbons that are so common.

lQtEm1.jpg

The quality is ok, but there are some noticeable problems, most notably a protruding nylon thread on the ribbon. Nothing that can't be fixed with some scissors, and it was under $100, so I'm not complaining. Still, quality control could be improved.

You can also see an irregularity in the third row above the ribbon.

My main concern is that the weave is so loose, I'm afraid I'll get sunburned. I went with hemp because I heard it wasn't as hot as a Panama, but if it's not going to protect me from the sun, what's the point?

Here's one more shot of the top:

Attachments

• IMG_5193.jpg
    IMG_5193.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 760
  • IMG_5199.jpg
    IMG_5199.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 552
  • IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 639
  • IMG_5192.jpg
    IMG_5192.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 637
  • IMG_5195.jpg
    IMG_5195.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 645
Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I'm not usually one for straw. I wear fur felt throughout the summer, even in a heat wave. But I'm going to Colombia in a month, and I hear it's brutally humid and never rains, so I decided to buy something more appropriate.

I ordered the Biltmore Lucca, a hemp milan fedora, from One2MiniRanch. I did a search, but there hasn't been much posted about this hat, so I thought I would fix that.

It's not to my taste as much as my vintage Dobbs 20, but I like its looks just fine. The brown ribbon and cocoa color are more my speed than the white panama and black ribbons that are so common.

lQtEm1.jpg

The quality is ok, but there are some noticeable problems, most notably a protruding nylon thread on the ribbon. Nothing that can't be fixed with some scissors, and it was under $100, so I'm not complaining. Still, quality control could be improved.

My main concern is that the weave is so loose, I'm afraid I'll get sunburned. I went with hemp because I heard it wasn't as hot as a Panama, but if it's not going to protect me from the sun, what's the point?

I think that’s a good looking hat. I wouldn’t believe that you would have any sunburn issues. I have a very similar hat just not the same type. I’ve had plenty of sun protection.

Steven

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The hat will be fine in protecting you from the sun. When light goes through apertures that small, the waves are bent and diffused. An example would be if you were to turn on a light in a hallway at home: if you then opened a door into a dark room, you'd see that some of the light has bent around the corner of the doorway and is much darker. Plus, you're always moving, if only a tiny bit, further diffusing the light. I have very pale skin (Scottish-Irish) and learned a bit about light when I moved to the tropics many years back. That's when I started wearing a hat and long-sleeved shirts whenever I'm in the sun for any time at all.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a great hat for the price!

lQtEm1.jpg

ThomasK

New in Town
That's good to hear! I will be wearing sunscreen anyway, but with my complexion, I need all the protection I can get!
Hey Spellflower, can you please keep us informed about your experience? Maybe if you use this one and compare with your felt hat?
Best regards from Germany
Thomas

Reactions: RBH
The hat will be fine in protecting you from the sun. When light goes through apertures that small, the waves are bent and diffused. An example would be if you were to turn on a light in a hallway at home: if you then opened a door into a dark room, you'd see that some of the light has bent around the corner of the doorway and is much darker. Plus, you're always moving, if only a tiny bit, further diffusing the light. I have very pale skin (Scottish-Irish) and learned a bit about light when I moved to the tropics many years back. That's when I started wearing a hat and long-sleeved shirts whenever I'm in the sun for any time at all.
As a light complexioned Scotts/Irish descendent I too am careful dealing with the sun. I have an inexpensive Stetson outback style hat that is my hiking hat. It has an open weave in the crown and I have never experienced sunburn on my balding pate.

johnnycanuck

As a light complexioned Scotts/Irish descendent I too am careful dealing with the sun. I have an inexpensive Stetson outback style hat that is my hiking hat. It has an open weave in the crown and I have never experienced sunburn on my balding pate.
Has anyone tried contacting hatco to see if their hemp hats have been UVA/UVB tested?

johnnycanuck

Not that I am aware of....there was a post a few days back regarding Akubra's UV ratings
That was me. In regards to their felt hats. Hemp and straw are different beasts. I know Tilley makes a hemp that is rated 50 SPF and it looks like a loose weave compared to all their other hats. But they did test it to be able to make that statement
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB