Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bit of Drinking Advice

newspapercowboy

Familiar Face
Saw the "favorite cocktail" thread, had to add this bit of advice from my deceased Pop, born in 1920 and a bit of a sport.

"A man never drinks anything with more than two ingredients...and ice counts."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Let's see - water, barley, hops...that means
:eek: NO MORE BEER!

:( :cry:

Enjoy what's in the frig, fellas, then kiss it goodbye.
:beer: :cheers1:

'Course there's always single malts, rye, vodka and Everclear. No gin, no blended goods, no brandy unless it's clear grappa, slivovitz, etc.
And wine's ok as long as it has no sulfites.

Non-alcoholically speaking, you have your choice of black coffee, black tea, water, milk, fruit juice you squeeze yourself...am I missing anything?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No more martinis. OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER.

:mad: Hmph. I'm beginning to think this man stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be. Tomorrow I think I shall wear brown riding boots in the street for no reason at all, oogle Us and In Style for the photographs of leggy actresses, and drink sidecars until my vision resembles the optical montages of Slavko Vorkapich. What do I care.

newspapercowboy

Familiar Face
LOl Pop meant a mixed drink..he drank a martini..up...I drink bourbon...straight...under this way of explaining his rule beer's fine...

Fletch said:
Let's see - water, barley, hops...that means
:eek: NO MORE BEER!

:( :cry:

Enjoy what's in the frig, fellas, then kiss it goodbye.
:beer: :cheers1:

'Course there's always single malts, rye, vodka and Everclear. No gin, no blended goods, no brandy unless it's clear grappa, slivovitz, etc.
And wine's ok as long as it has no sulfites.

Non-alcoholically speaking, you have your choice of black coffee, black tea, water, milk, fruit juice you squeeze yourself...am I missing anything?

funneman

Practically Family
Sage advice..

newspapercowboy said:
Saw the "favorite cocktail" thread, had to add this bit of advice from my deceased Pop, born in 1920 and a bit of a sport.

"A man never drinks anything with more than two ingredients...and ice counts."

I find myself drinking a lot of Vodka on the Rocks lately, my idea of a "mixed drink."

Viviene said:
The best drinking advice I ever received was from my Italian grandfather. "Never mix your drinks. Stick to one for the night." I have to say he was right.

I've found that i can mix wine (red or white) and beer (ale not lager) or beer and rum or whiskey (the only spirits i drink) but not wine and liquor. That, for me, is a recipe for disaster . . .

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
Real men (TM) drink anything they damn well want to.
<pounds bar> Bar'k*hic*p...'nother sizecar, 'm make it shnappy, I gotta make 'em li'l erector set thingies move y'knowhuzzImean...
ft5p30070c_00088.gif

Montage by Slavko Vorkapich
From The Life and Death of #9413, a Hollywood Extra, 1928

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
I've found that i can mix wine (red or white) and beer (ale not lager) or beer and rum or whiskey (the only spirits i drink) but not wine and liquor. That, for me, is a recipe for disaster . . .

bk

I'm with BK here:
"Beer plus liquor, never sicker."

This rule would make Champagne Cocktails off limits. I don't like this rule.

Story: true, but when a man orders an Apple Martini and he's not doing it while standing next to his boyfriend, I do internally roll my eyes.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've heard 2 dictums (dicta?) that I adhere to: 1 Never mix grape and grain.
2 (This one is often garbled) Beer ON whisky, mighty risky; whisky ON beer, never fear. Ultimately it all comes down to "Don't drink too much." Moderation in all things. Learn how to nurse a drink. Get a nice buzz, but don't get stupid. I once knocked down 2/3 of a bottle of Laphroaig, then 2/3 of a bottle of champagne (it was New Year's Eve). I will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER do that again.
If it's separated by a meal, then I ignore dictum #1.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And Steve a cold, and feed a favor...or izzit th'other way roundzzz.

Barcreep more sidecars plzzz. 'n one fer my friend...no wait thass my refleshshun.....aaaah ok bring'm one too, I'll drink it if he don't.
<Fletch collapses, his barstool clattering noisily to the floor.>

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
<pounds bar> Bar'k*hic*p...'nother sizecar, 'm make it shnappy, I gotta make 'em li'l erector set thingies move y'knowhuzzImean...

Another round of paint thinner for the man with the swanky hanky in his pocket.

Fletch said:
Barcreep more sidecars plzzz. 'n one fer my friend...no wait thass my refleshshun.....aaaah ok bring'm one too, I'll drink it if he don't.
<Fletch collapses, his barstool clattering noisily to the floor.>

Never mind.

He should be glad Keith Richards isn't in the 'hood.
shirley.jpg

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
beaucaillou said:
Story: true, but when a man orders an Apple Martini and he's not doing it while standing next to his boyfriend, I do internally roll my eyes.

Are chocolate martinis in the same boat? My roommate orders them without shame...

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou