Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bit of review needed on a Jaxon fedora

jay_b

Familiar Face
Hi once again all,......yes I have another question.;)

I ran across the Jaxon Iconoclast fedora at the village hat shop web site, it's on sale for $42. (plus $20 shipping)
I searched the forums and I found that at least a couple of you have this hat. Is it a good value, decently made fedora?

I've been looking for a fur felt hat like this one for some time but never really took the plunge. Even on ebay, second hand hats seem to be going for quite a bit now. I'd rather spend a little extra and get a good hat from a good dealer.

Thanks all, and feel free to post pics or give a review of any of Jaxon's hats.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Jaxon hat (Iconoclast)

My wife and kids bought me a Jaxon Iconoclast for my birthday just a couple of weeks ago. For that price, it's a great hat. I had to take some time to reshape the crown (due more to my head than any deficiency in that hat itself) and I been wearing it happily since then. The felt is somewhat stiff out of the box, but is a good quality felt. I'm still working on "training" it to my head, but I am very pleased with the overall feel and quality of the hat. The lining and inner band are top notch. The color is somewhat darker than what the website picture shows. More of a chocolate brown thatn the dark tan displayed.

I'll have to get some pictures and post them.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Jake Sullivan said:
I too am curious, I think a Jaxson is reasonably priced for fur, is there a catch?
The only drawback in my mind is that they're not American made; they farm the work out to third-world countries, hence the low price.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The hat is probably made of wool felt . Thats why the price is so low . There is no way to make a fur felt hat for 45.00 even in China .

ortega76

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
I am also interested in the Jaxon product line. Hoping a few more people post and voice there opinions.

I'm also very curious about the Jaxon line-up. I have a penchant for stingy brims, so I'm considering the Sinatra or the Detroit. Their pork-pie (the Monk) caught my wife's eye. I only wish Village Hat Shop carried a few more colors. Nothing outrageous. I'd love a brown or camel color thrown in! Keep us posted if anyone picks one up.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
ortega76 said:
I'm also very curious about the Jaxon line-up. I have a penchant for stingy brims, so I'm considering the Sinatra or the Detroit. Their pork-pie (the Monk) caught my wife's eye. I only wish Village Hat Shop carried a few more colors. Nothing outrageous. I'd love a brown or camel color thrown in! Keep us posted if anyone picks one up.
As I don't have any teardrop crown hats, I've eyed the Detroit for a while. There was a point that was on sale for ridiculously cheap and I came close. I just don't know how much I'd like the visible stitching at the brim. And I too wouldn't mind if they had more than two color options.

jay_b

Familiar Face
Ya, it is listed as a fur felt hat and is normally $79. The $42 is the sale price, now that's a sale.
I'm sitting right on the fence at this point. Normally buying a new hat from the US would cost a lot more but the Canadian dollar is worth $0.90 US right now. It kind of sucks for all you American folks but it's good for us in some ways.

There have to be a few more out there that have tried out Jaxon hats. Come on guys and gals, pull up a post and tell us all about it.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Jaxon was my very first fur felt. At the time, not having anything to compare it to other than some wool felts I was pretty impressed. I still think it is a rather nice hat! .......and I don't think you would be disappointed, especially at that price.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Jaxon Iconoclast

AS far as I know, Jaxon uses "world wide" sources for thier hats and while I usually prefer to buy as American as possible, today's market makes that increasingly difficult. When I bought my Akubra Federation about 4 or 5 years ago, the price worked out to approximately $55.00 U.S., so the original $79.00 price on the Iconoclast is well within the range for some fur felts. I had stated that I would try to post some pics of my hat, so here goes....
DSCF0541.jpg

DSCF0542.jpg

Looks like I'm having some difficulty in posting the pics.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I do stand corrected . I did some research and found two factories that can make a fur felt hat for around 55.00 . But they are only available in S, M,L,XL and made in China . I ordered some samples so we will see how nice they are when they arrive .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jay_b

Familiar Face
LeeB said:
Until I figure how to post, check my avatar for a pic of the Iconoclast.
You'll have to upload your pics to a place like photobucket.com first. It's easy to sign up for, then you just put in the img tag in and copy and paste the link.
Hope that helps you Lee.

The pic of it in your profile looks good. It reminds me of the ones they sell as an Indiana Jones style fedora for half the price.

ortega76

Practically Family
adamgottschalk said:
As I don't have any teardrop crown hats, I've eyed the Detroit for a while. There was a point that was on sale for ridiculously cheap and I came close. I just don't know how much I'd like the visible stitching at the brim. And I too wouldn't mind if they had more than two color options.

I seem to have a thing for stingies, with only one non-stingy that doesn't get a lot of wear. I may need to add one of their Bogarts. It would be inexpensive enough to "play" with the look.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Bogart is the one I was thinking about getting as well. But I have been waiting for a better review to come along. Or more cash to become available.;)
Johnny

Doh!

One Too Many
I have the Iconoclast and I love it. It's basically my rain hat and it came through a couple of pretty heavy downpours earlier this year with flying colors (luckily, not running colors). The felt was stiff at first but it's a bit softer now yet I've noticed no tapering. After each storm I hung it up to dry on a door knob and it kept its shape.

For the price, go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW