Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Aero Stockman (and Friends)

wdw

One Too Many
Picked up my second Stockman from Aero today. It's black FQHH, 38", shortened 30" back, 25.5" sleeves. After discussion with Denny, I deleted the inner pocket and cord strip mods, so this is pretty pure. It's a de-modded clone of my cordovan Stockman, which I seem to wear about 70% of the time. Lining is Erskine Black and White, as I fancied a change from colourful tartans.

Here are my current four jackets together to show differences in colours - cordovan Stockman; black Stockman; battered brown Shackleton and vintage black Teamster (for any who's counting, I traded in my cordovan HWM today for a pending cordovan Dustbowl).

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Man, are they beautiful! Question, though, about the Shackleton: How high are the armholes cut ... do you have a lot of movement/space with them or would the pits getting pinched with a sweater? I've been lusting after a Shackleton, and the army scythe is my only concern.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks guys. jla, I've just compared the Shackleton armholes with the other jackets and they're not noticeably smaller or higher. The jumper I'm wearing in my Shackleton thread is as thick as you'd get and there's no constriction in the armholes. Unless you're a bodybuilder I wouldn't worry about it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic new acquisition. Does it fit more or less the same as your cordovan Stockman? How do you compare the regular black FQHH to the vintage FQHH on your Teamster, and how does the fit compare between your latest Stockman and Teamster?

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks again guys. Fanch, the fit is identical with my cordovan one. I was very happy with the first one, but know how the same size can have minor differences in measurements depending on the machinist and leather. As I live so close, I was able to take the first one down to Aero the week before production and leave it with them so that there was no confusion over measurements. Julie made the first one, so I asked that she made this one too, and I think she did yet another great job.

As for vintage and regular, vintage seems dryer somehow than regular and maybe a bit stiffer, so I prefer the regular.

Comparing the fit of this to the Teamster, they're very different as the Stockman is a straight back and waist, whereas the HB on the Teamster gives that a nice V shape. I know the Stockman isn't popular, but I like the utter simplicity of the style and it's proved to be my go-to jacket time after time.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thus far your black FQHH Stockman with the black and white lining is my favorite of your collection. Congratulations again! :thumb:

Tadite

Familiar Face
Battered brown is such a interesting color. Seems less waxy and more mate then the normal FQHH. I like it and if it's lighter that's a nice addition to the Aero leather choices. I think it's nicer then the jerky brown.

wdw

One Too Many
Tadlite, batterered brown actually looks nicer in the flesh than in the photos. It has a more worn and varied look than comes across here. It's not as light as the now recommended lighter steerhide, but I can't get over my aversion to steer after the whole storse fiasco last year (not that I'm bitter, like :mad:)

Tadite

Familiar Face
Tadlite, batterered brown actually looks nicer in the flesh than in the photos. It has a more worn and varied look than comes across here. It's not as light as the now recommended lighter steerhide, but I can't get over my aversion to steer after the whole storse fiasco last year (not that I'm bitter, like :mad:)

Good stuff. I got caught up in all that Mark Moyes fiasco last year so whenever (or ever) I pick up another Aero it's going to be one of the most expensive jackets ever! I've got an idea for something based upon a Hercules with buttons replacing the zipper and on a 1930's HB design. So I guess it would be a Maxwell with some more flash. The issue is, like always, the leather. The shine of a waxed brown FQHH is something to see but I'm not going to pretend that the weight wouldn't end up bring a problem. I'm not sure the mid-weight has the same pop but that battered brown could be the answer!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Very, very nice. I liked the stripped down look - a black jacket will come to me in time, that's for sure...:D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Quite the gallery. I'm impressed. You've obviously found a style you like and a company you trust. Good work and great photos. Can't have enough pictures. I also LOVE that black and white tartan on your latest score... If I weren't such a slob I'd go for that in my next custom build. Thanks for sharing...

Worf

Dubya-Dee-Dubya: Man! I love that monochrome jacket! An excellent and stylish yet simple design. I need to man-up and get black some day. Well done - wear it in good health!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
BB is a separate entity, it's a dark brown coating over light brown. It changes and 'crackles' in a very different way from the oil-pull.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Stockman wdw and a nice collection of Aeros you've got there.

Black is definitely going to be my next leather jacket, got enough brown for now ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart