Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black felt hat oil/grease look

Kaxia25

New in Town
Hi all, I’m going thru different techniques to make new felt hats look older, but somehow I saw a hat that is using I suppose oil or something similar in black felt, obviously is not burnt due it changes the color, but somehow it looks like shiny and polished?! I don’t really know, does someone knows how to make this look? Thank you

Hi all, I’m going thru different techniques to make new felt hats look older, but somehow I saw a hat that is using I suppose oil or something similar in black felt, obviously is not burnt due it changes the color, but somehow it looks like shiny and polished?! I don’t really know, does someone knows how to make this look? Thank you
The hatters here in the Lounge tend to not engage in aging/distressing the hats they make. You may get a response but don't count on it. I suspect it is something one of these types of hat makers discovered whilst experimenting and may not want to divulge a proprietary process. Most hatters learn the trade the old fashioned way......trial and error......lots of errors. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner